The World Of Twilight
May 04, 2024, 06:08:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ContrapuntalAnt's Devanu  (Read 8452 times)
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« on: April 22, 2011, 05:31:22 pm »

At this point I've only painted my Grishak and there's no chance of me getting any further models painted until July, when I get back from the next uni term. I thought making a thread on here would help persuade myself to get back into it when July does come around, so here we go!

The pictures weren't taken on my camera, and I couldn't work out how to fix the colour differences - the main bodies have less contrast between the green base and the highest layer of dry-brushing which is entirely blue. They look greener in general in real life too. Either way, I'm happy with them - I wasn't the best painter even when I painted semi-regularly, so I tend to go with simple plans.

I love the Grishak! While all the Twilight models are full of character, the Grishak are just... cute.

Who's a good little Grishak munching on Fubarnii? That's right, you are! *gives equivalent of dog treats*
Yes, I am quite possibly insane and most definitely inane (which is of course only one letter away) ... who wants normality, anyway?

Oh, I've just thought of a question about the Twilight canon: do the Devanu ever name their Grishak, or is their use of them too utilitarian? If they do, what kinds of names are used?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:34:18 pm by ContrapuntalAnt » Logged

"All I’m saying is sometimes eating a walnut is preferable to getting hacked to death or set on fire during dinner."
- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »

Beaky, spiky, snappy, and screechy?  Tongue

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:42:27 pm »

Very nice! I recommend before attaching the figures to the bases, cover up the gap in the base with some sticky label - that way you can paint and flock the entire base and there won't be any unfortunate gaps.

Good to see some differently coloured Grishak.

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »

I use greenstuff to cover the bases if you havnt got any masking tape at hand! but other then that looking good!
My camera is to poor to capture my Faburnii Cry
They're looking great and i love the blue! really different but fits really well Smiley

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »

Loving the colour scheme. I would probably just highlight the eyes a little more to help them stand out but they are very distinctive.

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »

Looking good  Smiley
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:46:47 am »

Good call on the gaps in the bases - I must say that I've never stopped to consider it before! But then most models I've had in the past either fill the gap when they're attached to the base or come with a base without a gap, I suppose. Not sure how to retroactively fix this... don't really want to strip the bases and do it again.

Anyway, back from uni now - with more painted Devanu! I've painted my two Jenta and my Kopa now, complete minus the bases (and I'll make sure to cover gaps with sticky label/masking tape before doing these ones).

Devanu Jenta (Handler and Spear):

Devanu Kopa:

The complete force so far:

As mentioned before, I tend to go for very simple paint schemes due to my complete lack of skill so there's nothing fancy there. It nevertheless takes me hours for each model... I'm far too slow at painting!

"All I’m saying is sometimes eating a walnut is preferable to getting hacked to death or set on fire during dinner."
- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:33:45 am »

Slow and steady is better than rushing them. You say you don't have skill with painting yet you have done a neat job and your models have a unifying colour scheme and look cohesive. I've seen loads of forces and armies with excellent individual paint jobs but you put they together and its a mess of colour. The choise of a white indercoat actually gives some subtle highlights as well so overall its a good solid job!

With the bases if you have any green stuff of miliput you could poke it up the slot from below (oo err) making sure it fills the gap on the top then when its cured glue sand and flock over the top. Shouldn't be too much hassle.

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:42 am »

Those are coming along nicely - HN is right that you've done a good job pulling the colour scheme together.
I do like the bluish tinge.

I think Devanu would vary. Most would see their grishak as tools, but some grow far more attached to them. Names wouldn't be completely out of the question.
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:00:14 pm »

I did think of pushing green stuff etc up the gap from below, but I don't have any and have never used it, so didn't have a clue whether it would work. I may attempt to get some then!

They're actually undercoated with black, not white. The skin has a few layers of drybrushing with only a small variation of colour between each, the leather is inked and the spear tips are inked then drybrushed. The spear shafts look as if they have variation of colour in the photo, but actually they don't. I wish I'd spent more time on the claws actually, rather than just painting them flat with one colour - but I'd just got back from buying the bleached bone (with a 50min bike ride each way to get there; add hills and the fact that I hadn't cycled in about 9 months due to being at uni without a bike and I was incredibly tired!) and decided against it. I think it just about works for the bone protrusions on the Kopa, but the claws look a bit odd.

Once I've done the bases I'll need more models of course! I think a few kosok are next on the agenda (I can use the Kopa as a Sempa/Matriarch when necessary for now), and then *possibly* some Delgon...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:02:37 pm by ContrapuntalAnt » Logged

- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

Glad to hear you're definitely getting Delgon. I particularly recommend Striders.

Laughing Ferret
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:57:13 pm »

One thing you might try for filling the gaps in the base, that is a lot cheaper than green stuff or miliput, is cork. any art store, like michael's (in the US- not sure where you're located) sell thin square 'tiles' of cork. many use them to make rocks for elevation on bases- they also make great gap fillers. just cut a length about the right size,insert it in the gap and run some super glue over it--not so much that it soaks through and glues your base to your workbench thoguh  Roll Eyes

one inexpensive package of that stuff will last you a lifetime and is good for base-rocks, making terrain, etc.
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

Glad to hear you're definitely getting Delgon. I particularly recommend Striders.
I like what you did there... Roll Eyes
However it really is possibly, as it depends on money rather than preference!

Interesting idea there Ferret, I might look into that. Depending on what implements there are around to cut into it and how easy it subsequently is to cut, even corks from wine bottles might work - in which case it'd be free Cheesy. We'll see anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:13 pm »

I just glue paper/put masking tape over the gaps, then base as normal. Has worked so far Grin
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:22:13 pm »

I caved and ordered some Delgon... my bank account may dislike me, but I have a priest's retinue, a soldier unit and two deraks on the way Smiley

Now to decide on a colour scheme. My first instinct is to involve either purple or teal (in small amounts) along with the black, as I like those colours. Not sure though.

- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: