The World Of Twilight
May 13, 2024, 11:41:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Log- Late, but (Hopefully) Plentiful...  (Read 31298 times)
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:32 am »

Hi all,

I've been whittering on about looking forward to the Festive season, as it's alway been a time when I put commissions, and Paint-for-sale projects aside and paint for my self for once.

As it happens, I've been enjoying the Festive season rather a lot without the use of brushes whatsoever and I'm only just getting down to some painting!

Anyway - I'll try to keep myself on track and post some progress as I go.

Day one, models prepped, assembled, undercoated, and basecoated in scorched brown (as I always do, for almost any colour scheme!).

These wont ALL get done, but on the bench:
Fubarnii:
12 Militia
6 herders
4 Enuk Knights
3 Knights of Relan
1 Commander brennar
1 Engineer Beru
1 Trader Caravan (trader & 2 Baruk)
3 Fubarnii Youngsters
1 Belan

Devanu:
1 Kopa
3 Grishak

Yes, the Devanu are just a little outnumbered.... I'll get to them once most of this is painted.. honest.....

I had said that I was going to try out some different schemes and more muted tones when I added to my little force, but I've grown to really like the Yoshi's and their weirdly bright riders, so I'm probably going to ignore the background (Sorry!) and go for uniformality with everything in similar colours.

I really enjoyed seeing everyone's work for the competition and further forum posts, which I'm definitely going to go back to for reference on my trader caravan. Might have to knick some ideas for markings & / or decorative warpaint on those.

There is one model I'm unlikely to touch though. Its somewhat unlike me, but I'm just so Daunted by the Belan. It was One of the first purchased, but the official scheme is soo good and so different from what I was thinking, I cant fix my mind on it at all!

I'm still painting 6mm sci-fi, Infinity and 28mm Romans at the same time, So, lets see what I can do - First pictures tomorrow morning!

I'll leave with a reminder of my force as its stood since May, as a starting point....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:25:26 am by TuffSkull » Logged

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Wow, that's a lot of models prepped in one day ToughSkull, your a machine!

HN
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

Really looking forward to seeing your army grow! Well done on getting so much done in a day. If only I wasn't writting up my thesis I'd be painting too! (7 more days to go.... Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:46:56 am »

Watching with anticipation...

Those colours are also spot on - not at all out of character  Smiley
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:45:32 pm »

Well, progress is being made. I have to pop out in a bit, and the way festive "popping out" seems to be going, I may be gone quite some time, so a photo whilst I can!

I should also point out that some of the previously mentioned models were prepped & undercoated previously, that was just a list of the total awaiting paint at the end of the day - slightly mislead you there I'm afraid!

Anyway, skin & red basecoated. Its a start...

edit: the 3 painted ones are references from those completed in may, not from this batch! And in the background you can see what keeps me painting - I run Babylon 5 DVDs in the background as enough to keep me interested, without ever having to actually look at the screen!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:47:43 pm by TuffSkull » Logged

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »

Hard to make it out on the photo, but looks like you've gone for a mix of spear types on the militia? What do you think of the new spears?
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »

Of New Spears...

I've used all new ones on all new figures. The second captain I've had for ages with an old spear. I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it however - I do have one spare, I might have to switch it!

They're a great improvement. If I'm being really picky, The only minor issue is that there's no defined butt end. I rather liked the detail on the old ones where they clearly had a metal capping over the butt of the spear, but these simply flare out. That is purely and aethstetic choice however, and they still look great.

I prefer the fact the heads are no longer tied to the shaft.

They're easier to fit to the figure as a little pressure to gain contact doesn't bend the spear, and I have no doubt that they'll last longer without need for repair.

Overall - All Good!

Of Further update -
toes painted, Blacks (spear shafts & main pouches) painted, Enuks first coat, Skins all inked & first 6 militia have had their skin and reds highlighted to completion.

Now, Festivities continue rather than painting which probably means no more updates until midday tomorrow... I got so much more painting done when I had no social life...  Undecided

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:14 pm »

You have been busy! Looks good so far. Out of interest how many washes/ layers/ highlights do use on your skin?

HN
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 10:57:19 am »

You have been busy! Looks good so far. Out of interest how many washes/ layers/ highlights do use on your skin?

Once undercoated and basecoated in scorched brown, They're based in Vermin Brown (done in 2 layers to get a good coverage), then washed with WN Peat brown ink, then vermin brown & 2 different layers of pre-mixed highlights adding bleached bone to the Vermin Brown. Crikey. I hadn't registered I was doing 6 stages on the blighters. I normally reckon on 5 layers even for competition - Its really not worth it! Ho hum.... I've started so I'll finish...

Progress today? None!
I decided to get up and stat painting when my GF went to work this morning, rather than have the planned lie-in. It was going well - I even got dressed! - until I turned my PC on and just spent an hour ranting about miniature photography and arguing the benefits of lighting over camera quality.... Whoops!

Back to the Brushes... she'll be home again at 12...  Roll Eyes

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 11:02:48 am »

Cheers for that TuffSkull.

Dang the computer and its distracting ways!

HN
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:54 pm »

Only minor advances today. Second unit of Militia have had their skin done, and the red's had its first highlight for both the Militia and the Knights. New Years Eve Party starts in an hour (yes, very dangerously early!!) so thats it until 2012 - Happy New Year Everyone!!  Grin

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:12:58 pm »

Happy New Year. I'm really looking forward to seeing this empire army in all its glory. Keep it up.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

Happy new year!
Ta for the spear feedback. I might have to do a fancier spear at some point with a neater end, but that's what they will be like for the moment...
Looking forward to seeing how the army grows in the new year. We will finally get that tournament organised!
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »

looking forward to the tournament, whenever it may occur!

Painting is progressing, but oh so much slower than I had anticipated. I've been used to knocking out 28mm Romans at a rate of 20+ a day, but had forgotten what it was like to paint models when I actually cared about the results!

Reds highlighted for the second unit of militia, eyes added for all Militia, straps painted and a few other minor bits but it's slow going. Add to that the fact that I just deleted the update photo by mistake, and I think this log might be around for a whileyet to come, so the Festive portion of the title has been removed - Long live the painting Log!

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »

Right. I watched the entire series of B5 Crusade today - the Marathon is nearly over on that front at least!

Whilst trying not to watch the pretty poor half-series spin-off, I painted some 6mm Kraytonians, Made a load of bases for more 6mmm Kraytonians and, the only bit you care about, Painted most of the rest of the Militia and Knight bits that needed doing - WooHoo!

So I've still got some basing work to go, not to mention all the Civilian elements to the force, but it feels like a milestone to me at least  Grin

WIP Pictures taken, they'll follow after editing tomorrow....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: