The World Of Twilight
May 20, 2024, 08:55:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: A long journey.  (Read 103315 times)
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2012, 09:56:43 pm »

No, this guy wasn't in the case - this one's something based on a concept sketch Mike did for me based on a unit description in my Clan thread. The one in the case was another gribbly Mike's worked on.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »

I think that was a Grimblar from Naralon Forest...he came a long way for Salute Wink

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »

Yup, HN is right, that was a veeeery old sculpt of a Grimblar that snuck into the cabinet... I might redo him at some point!
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »

Right, an update on the Graku'kan. I've filled in all the gaps I could see that I figured would be a harsh undercut for a mould. I've also reshaped the front and back of the crest and smoothed it more, as well as bulking up the baggage and adding a couple of new bits, holder, etc.

All 4 upper legs now have added musculature, so they look more natural - I used an bare Enuk thighs for reference, so the muscle groups look similar. The underside joins for the legs (not shown) are also smoothed out so it looks more natural.

To show that it does indeed fit on a 40mm base -

The only overlap on the base is 2 claws, by a tiny amount. Not bad!

For the rider I'll likely possibly remove the right arm and resculpt a different one that doesn't come as close to the crest - the hand will probably be resting on the small metal pouch I added. Overall then this thing is practically done. The only task left on the Graku'kan itself is to smooth out the lower forelegs.

So, thoughts everyone?

Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:40 am »

Gorgeous beast, superbly crafted. It was great playing catch up on the thread too.

The muscle work really brings the detail up, and I can see the leg remodelling being inspired by Enuk legs. Really added more than just extra GS to the model Smiley

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:55 am »

Very well done. There are details that could be neatened up, but you've created a creature that looks like it fits in Twilight. You've also created him astonishingly quickly, without the usual softness that new sculptors have. We'll have to chat offline about if we can get him cast up.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2012, 03:59:55 pm »

Looking good. Any chance of a pic with the rider and a model for scale?

HN
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »

Cheers everyone, the comments are very much appreciated.

As for a scale shot, sure!

There you go, that's a 15mm Ground Zero Games UNSC trooper next to the Graku'kan. Wink

Oh right, you meant against an appropriately scaled Twilight figure!

There we go, a slinger and Yirnak Rider.

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »

It looks awesome. The details and additions really add tot he piece. Nice use of some of the salute bits too. I've barely started to put my purchases together and you're finishing off a sculpt!

If I may be super picky however, the newly bulked up front left leg runs strangely into the neck harness. The harness looks like it cuts the muscle off a bit. That is however having looked at teh pictures for ages without having noticed anything!

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2012, 06:29:27 pm »

Looking even better with the rider in place! Smiley Though glad to see the Yirnak is still the daddy in the cavalry stakes Cheesy

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2012, 08:05:41 pm »

Nice to see the size comparison - its good that he's around the same size as the yirnak. I had been thinking he was a bit bigger, but he's probably more useful at that size Smiley
We should be able to get him cast up in the new future, either as part of the range or as a limited edition run. Looking forward to it!
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »

Yeah, I aimed to keep him at a 40mm base, as honestly you'd probably not use too many 50mm base models in a typical game. At least this way people can get normal units of 5+ Wink

I must admit, I'm also immensely looking forward to getting this guy cast up, after some refinements of course. It'll be a huge incentive to get my entire trader faction painted up, hunters etc etc since they're all Clan Orel'an! Just image 5 of these guys protecting a couple of Belan, several Baruk, loads of Enuks...

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

Bah! No match for my Dhogu...once I've built them...and painted them...

Tongue
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »

I'll also have a load of Dhogu allies. Wink

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »

Damn...where are the Eragu when you need them...cough...cough...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: