The World Of Twilight
April 18, 2024, 03:33:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike's blog  (Read 198345 times)
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:00 pm »

Good to hear! With any luck I'll resist temptation and not spend -quite- so much at Salute on your stall like last year. I should probably keep some money for food after all!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »

Good to hear! With any luck I'll resist temptation and not spend -quite- so much at Salute on your stall like last year. I should probably keep some money for food after all!

You need to eat? We'll hopefully remember to bring a bowl of sweets this time, so I'm sure those will tide you over  Smiley

I'm currently waiting at heathrow for a flight over to the states... Not quite the way I would like to be spending the weekend! I've got seven flights to look forward to over the next week, so I'm hoping to find a few hours to work on the second rulebook - there's plenty of fluff and background to write, and I won't have my daughter around to distract me  Embarrassed
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:37 am »

how did it know mike?  inquiring minds need answers!

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

It was a long week, followed by a rather challenging week back in the office... Lexie is also ill, so I'm staying home to look after her.

On the plus side the book is coming along, I got a bunch of master casts back and I've nearly finished a new Devanu jenta that I might sneak onto a production mould in time for salute. I've also got next week off, so maybe I'll be able to make some more progress!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »

I'm enjoying my week off so far! Jules has sadly come down with a tummy bug, so that's going to disrupt plans a little bit... We did have at least 24 hours with a house free of illness though, which was nice.

I've just started work on a Belan. This big creature is going to be ona  60mm base and will be about 60mm tall (once fully laden). All going well I'll manage to get him cast in resin so I can have a couple of Belan for the demo game!
I'm going to be experimenting with polymer clay (fimo) for this sculpt, so I've started off by doing a metal armature covered in ProCreate. Hopefully the whole process will go reasonably smoothly as I've not used fimo since I was a kid. The sketch was printed at 1:1 scale with the final piece (not with an actual Belan. That'd be silly) so I can measure the skeleton against it.

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2011, 03:56:23 pm »

Looking good so far Mike, but with the metal prices shooting up will this one be cast hollow? Or in resin?

As satisfying as a good hunk of metal feels to hold, it'll be a right ball buster cost wise
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

It'll be in resin if I can get it done. Failing that it'll be a case of painting up the original, but that would be a bit of a shame. I'll have a chat with Ian at Fenris (in case he has a gap in his dragon-casting schedule) or the guys at Grey Matter to see what might be possible.
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »

Looks good, glad you've started on this.  I like how you've matured the design from the original Mk1 sculpt in line with all the recent stuff.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:00 pm »

It'll be a huge change from the original one... I'll show them side by side at some point!

Lots of progress last night - great fun trying such a different sculpting material! Huge amounts still to do though, and I'm not sure what to expect when I start working on the details...

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:49 pm »

Awesome! I See super-heavy knights already  Wink

I think you should leave it with those little chicken wings, but I'm sure I'll change my mind when I see the progress.

Will you bake it before detailing? What type of fimo are you using?
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59:57 pm »

Why do I just know someone is going to cover this in armour and mount an infeasibly large derak on the top in a swivel mount?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:29 pm »

*whistles*

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:04 pm »

This is designed as a pack beast, but a little howda might be fun at some point...
The putty is a mix of classic and soft, but just because thats what I happen to have. I know there are other putties I should experiment with when I get a chance. I've textured the skin etc but may do more detailing once it's fired.
I've been making lots more progress tonight and it seems strangely close to being complete... I then have to decide what to do next - get it cast as it is and add baggage after, or just go ahead and sculpt the baggage.

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 10:12:10 pm »

I vote cast as is, but that's because I don't have to do it  Roll Eyes

The way I see it is that way you can do alternate baggage arrangements, a howdah for a particular opulent trader or even a wild one. The change in pose is not as necessary as in the baruk, say as it's head and neck aren't so long, and also you don't cover the nice musculature you've done.
Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2011, 04:56:42 am »

I say packs separate. 

Looking good so far and you say 60 mm base?  Do these warmachine style of bases come in 60mm?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: