The World Of Twilight
April 18, 2024, 09:03:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gremlin's Chop Shop  (Read 8760 times)
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:16 pm »

I thought I'd better start a work log. Unfortunately, I open with sad news. I managed to total my near complete Kopa by placing a tabletop down on him (Don't ask how. I just know that I was concentrating very hard on not doing it... Huh). I have tried to twist the metal back into shape, but now I am paranoid about the favourite part of the model, its pose. I think it's in the same pose as it was, but I can't tell Roll Eyes So I'll have to repaint him.

Instead, over the weekend I'll post up a Brandlin building.
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:15:54 am »

ouch.. hopefully the kopa will be fine with his new paint. looking forward to seeing the building. Smiley

"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:11 am »

Doh! He's resilient if you managed to bend him back into shape, perhaps that will stand in him good stead when it comes to the fighting. Interested to see the building...I have one but not started it yet as am moving house in the next few weeks and don't want it to get crushed in the move.

HN
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »

Instead, over the weekend I'll post up a Brandlin building.

So...?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:37:07 am »

It's all nice and built and textured. Unpainted, but photographed. I am just late as usual Sad
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:28 am »

Do we get to see the WIP shot? Which building is it?
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:47 am »

It has landed....

So I got the Haft-Oob at Salute, and a very nice kit it is too. I built it mainly by the book, with notable changes being: reversing the stairs (as Fubarnii are left handed), adding an additional bottom step because the staircase was floating, rotating the window about 45 degrees for a bit of variety, and sculpting an additional roof tile and other bits of pedantic filling with GS. Oh, and adding a chimney! I made a few mistakes upon the way, such as gluing the handrail without twisting (D'oh!), Getting used to doing the texturing, and a few other things I can't recall, but I'm very pleased with the end result. Instead of a Pringles tube, I used a Waitrose breadstick tube, which I reckon has the exact same dimensions, save for a lack of a lip, with I created using spare plasticard.

And another:

And some WIPs:

And there are more on my photobucket account, but for now I cba to get them to work on the forum (I've cropped them on my photobucket account, but on the forum they appear uncropped  Wink)

The astute will notice that the orientation of the roof relative to the building changes. This is because I have not glued it down, and am using the building itself as a container for scraps and offcuts Grin I imagine I will glue it down at some point, but I haven't decided the direction in which it should point.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:15:44 am by TheGremlin » Logged
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:14 am »

Lovely work Gremlin, have you decided on a colour scheme?

HN
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:25:03 pm »

It's actully going to be pretty similar, redish sand and bleached white wood.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:08 pm »

Just back from holiday so sorry for the delay.

Good to see my kits being built.

I'm not sure why your stairs float, they shouldn't, but I can't see why from your pics. It's the first model I've seen with the stairs reversed so congrats on that!

As to the roof - it can go on in any orientation you like but I suggest that the dormer shouldn't be over the door!?!

How was the handrail? It's the trickiest bit!

Love to see painted pictures!

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:30:25 pm »

I think I just warped the stairs because the way I was holding them as I was doing them, but there was only a millimtre in it. They took a fair bit of doing as there are so many bits to them, but it wasn't so bad. I messed up the handrail a bit because I only scanned the instructions for that bit, but it still works. I found it fairly easy compared to the stairs, but it is the bit, imo, easiest to get wrong. I reveresd the stairs because Fubarnii are genrally left handed, right? and therefore the stairs should go up anticlockwise for defense reasons, in the same way that spiral staircases go clocklwise in real life? I scored planks into the underside(which is now the overside), and that was pretty easy.

Unfortunately, I haven't painted it yet, and I've just boxed up all my stuff because I'm leaving the country in September! So I don't know when it will get painted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: