The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 11:46:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware the varnish! and other painting mysteries!?!?  (Read 3765 times)
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« on: September 11, 2011, 12:35:15 am »

So two days ago I just finished painting my skaven warlock engineer and decided to add the finishing touch ( as i always do) a spray of purity seal! but to my horror the varnish went cloudy (i have had this happen once before) and leaves your model looking like a bit of a ghost and destroying the figure you spent many hours painting.
But there is a cure! a quick coat of gloss varnish and the model is near-as good as it was before you sprayed it EXCEPT it is shiny (of course).
So I thought another coat of Purity seal would do the trick to remove the shine (as matt varnish does). SO i tested the spray on another model to check if the temperature and humidity were OK to spray. The model came out perfect so i sprayed the engineer and LO and BEHOLD it whites up again! Why!? >: ( What is the reason for this?
and does anyone else have any painting 'mysteries' to share?

KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:48:44 am »

humidity is the normal culprit, as well as temp.  But even here in the fall, when we have humidity averaging around 10% it can still frost.  So there's some voodoo involved somewhere. Some people suggest that the cans go 'bad' after awhile, but since it worked on one and not the other, that I would think is ruled out.

I do know personally, after bad experiences with ps as well as armory, I use tester's dullcote exclusively now.  You could also go with the brush on route (I hear the vallejo brushons are great for this, and can be run through an airbrush if you have one of those). 

"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
KDLynch
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:50:38 am »

Oh, and another mystery for ya... I once sealed some terrain I made with armory... it went all sticky.  several coats of brushons, testers, whathaveyou, since... still tacky, even after a year. baffling. I use the terrain as dust collectors in my cabinet now. hehe.

"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:08 am »

I've had the same problems in the past Megatron and in the end I gave up using it and turned to Vallejo Matt Varnish. Even though it needs to be painted on it doesn't take very long and I've not had any problems with it.

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: