The World Of Twilight
April 18, 2024, 07:57:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnets  (Read 6994 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: July 07, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »

Magnets are possibly the cleverest thing ever. I luv em. and so versatile in so many ways.

I'd always intended to use magnets in the kits i made - i had thought about having removable roofs and floors held in place by them.

But I shall be using them in the Watchtower, wall and bridge kits. Each connection in a wall will take 8 (4mm diameter x 1mm thick) magnets. That means the connection is strong enough to resist knocking on the gaming table, and the bridge can be loaded with figures without slipping, but also means that the wall sections are reversible (using magnets in pairs means the polarity isn't an issue). The 6 pillars on the watchtower are also removable and held to the platform with magnets. I will also make a conversion piece which can be glued to a pringle based model to allow it to reach a bridge.

So the numbers of magnets needed are:

Watchtower 20
Wall 8
Bridge 8
Pryn-Gul Conversion kit 4

That's actually a heck of a lot of magnets and they aren't that cheap. best price I can find is about 10p each. That adds £2 to the Watchtower kit!

The magnets are optional - you could do without them (except for the bridge) You could glue the pillars to the tower and you could just lie the walls next to each other for example.

So, should i bundle the magnets into the kits, which will push the price up and make the kits look more expensive? Or should I sell them separately, showing that they are optional and let the customer buy magnets as needed from me or another supplier and run the risk of being called a cheat cos the kits aren't complete?

suggestions?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »

Make 'em optional and also sell them separately. Do a combined price that is slightly cheaper than the separate prices - that way we feel we are getting a better deal while spending more money.
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »

Or do a 2-tier system of basic and deluxe kits, lol!
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:32:13 pm »

you guys are hopeless.... sigh

I asked should i do option A or option B ...

I did not ask "is there any way you can make this more complicated?"

:p

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »

Why would we want to make life easy for you?
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:06:08 pm »

Why would we want to make life easy for you?

because you already owe me for cylindrical architecture and 30mm bases!  just one simpler thing would be nice!!!

Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:43:04 pm »

If it is A or B then sell them without, you will get more buyers if you keep the price down.  But if you can find really cheap magnets and sell them separately for a profit, people might buy from you just because it is handy to order from the same site.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:43:50 pm »

I would suggest just including them and marketing it as a deluxe kit. As a buyer I'd like the option of not buying the magnets (if I'm kit-bashing all the components) but I can see how that would make stock control more tricky.

And Beth's answered at the same time as me with the opposite advice...
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 04:02:29 pm »

Oops.  We're really not helpful are we?
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:44:48 pm »

Oops.  We're really not helpful are we?

No. But the discussion helps.. it really does. At the end of he day it is my decision, but i do like to hear the views even if i (mock) complain about them.

Smiley

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »

I'd keep them off the kit with a recommendation to use them. Keeping costs down sounds like a good idea to me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: