The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 11:49:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roads in the Empire  (Read 3164 times)
Theodric
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

Hi, folks

I've only just picked up a few trader and a couple of Baruk to try painting, and would like to experiment with the bases. Is there any mention anywhere of what roads are like in the Fubarnii Empire?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:51:36 am »

Hi Derek, and welcome to the forum!

That is a good question - we've skirted around the topic a few times, but I don't think there is a good summary anywhere.

Within the central empire there are many roads, some very well built, others just well trodden paths. The tenth Emperor Yiran and his successor Nelar pushed through the creation of many fine roads, encouraging clan leaders to build a solid network of roads across their lands, often financed by means of tolls. During Nelar's reign there was an effort to stretch the network of roads even further across Anyaral. The Devanu threat at the time was great, particularly further from the central Empire and construction teams were regularly attacked. Roads that were successfully built were then targeted by frequent Devanu ambushes and the attempts to use wheeled carts often met with difficulty as the Devanu would rip up the roads or lay obstructions across them.

During that time most Fubarnii travellers choose to carry their belongings on the back of packbeasts like Baruk or the larger Belan, leaving them much more freedom to move away from the road if need be, or to work their way past disruptions. This has been maintained even now that the Devanu threat has become much diminished as it has still proved challenging to maintain roads across many parts of the Empire.

Within larger towns in the central empire cobbled streets are not uncommon, and some of the roads built within Yiran's era are quite amazing constructions that have survived even through to the present day.
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:36:47 am »

Goshdarnit Mike, I hope you're keeping track of these Emperors!
Oh wait, that's probably my job...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: