The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 08:41:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delgon Engineer's guild force - balanced?  (Read 5616 times)
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« on: January 08, 2012, 08:37:37 pm »

Hi folks!

I'm new to the world of Twilight (kind of, I've read plenty of the background but just got my first minis this Christmas), and am building up a small Delgon force.  My idea for these fellows was to have them represent a small party under the command of an engineers' guild, or serving priests devoted to the enarii Malog.  The idea being that they will employ larger numbers of KalDru, KalMalog, & KalGush than normal with relatively few KalGarkii and no KalJoran.  They're led by a NuraKira with one KalDreman bodyguard.

So my question is, would such a force be a) fluffy, and b) balanced?  The exact number breakdown I'm looking at right now is:

1 NuraKira
1 KalDreman
1 KalGush
2 KalDoru
2 KalMalog
4 KalGarkii

245 points

They would outnumber my Empire Force by one model, which consists of:

1 Enuk Knight Captain
1 Engineer
2 Enuk Knights
6 Empire Militia

240 points

Thanks for any advice!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:33:15 pm »

Sounds good in principle - building on the engineering side. You've got a good hard-hitting force, even if a bit low on numbers.
The tricky thing when designing a Delgon force is the activation aspect - making sure you arent going to get chunks of your force left behind.
At the moment you have one leader in your force - the NuraKira can activate 1 model, who can then activate a further 4 (assuming the are in close formation). The KalDreman will automatically active with him, so that helps. The KalMalog keep things simple as well. Thus you have:
NuraKira activates with KalDreman, 4kalgarkii and 1 KalDru.
KalMalog activate together.
The KalGush and the remaining KalDru will activate individually.

It'll be quite tight, but it should work. If you extend it you'll want another leader, but for the moment it looks good to me. Smiley
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »

I've found Delgon hard to use in smaller forces, once your formation breaks you are basically activating everyone individually unless you can reform. Worth keeping in mind during your first few games.

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:56:12 pm »

The fluff side is interesting. I'd have expected the Delgon to treat the Engineers as part and parcel of building regimented military forces; it'd seem odd for them to be fighting as a guild unless there was a raid on a Delgon base. I guess some priests might just have an interest in machinery and so order as much of it as possible in preference to getting more troops for their missions though.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:50 am »

I figured that the primary drawback to the force would the lack of models with leadership abilities.  I think the next step for the force will be a second NuraKira and KalDreman bodyguard, and 1 more KalDoru to bring them to a nice even 300 points and with enough leadership to activate all of the troops, leaving just the KalMalog to do their own thing.

One quick question, though:
KalMalog activate together.
How are the KalMalog able to activate together?  I was under the impression that, in the absence of Roban (the only Delgon with the ability to activate Elites), they had to activate individually.

The fluff side is interesting. I'd have expected the Delgon to treat the Engineers as part and parcel of building regimented military forces; it'd seem odd for them to be fighting as a guild unless there was a raid on a Delgon base. I guess some priests might just have an interest in machinery and so order as much of it as possible in preference to getting more troops for their missions though.
You make a good point.  I guess I wouldn't know for sure whether Delgon engineers are organized into guilds or just sit back in the Setir mountains cranking out new devices which are distributed about by the priests.

With these guys in particular, I envision them as more of a skirmisher or scout force than part of a regular army, with the priests being devotees of Malog.  In light of that, it seems that they'd benefit from some ranged weaponry and the highly mobile (if not inconspicuous) KalMalog as well.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »

KalMalog have the cadre ability so each one can activate another model with cadre. That way when you activate one you can activate all others with cadre as long as they are within 6" (their command range).

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »

I didn't have chance to expand on the fluff side earlier...

Guilds would be the wrong description for the Delgon as the Delgon engineers operate very differently to those in the empire. Delgon culture has never inspired engineers, and they are very rare. Those with talent are often overlooked, or have it drilled out of them at an early age. The Delgon have however 'acquired' a small number of engineers from the south who are afforded every luxury, just so long as they don't decide to leave. The engineers often don't even realise they are prisoners, just working away on little inconsequential projects (like refining a derak) while the priests bring them food and any equipment they might request. The blueprints for ideas are extracted and copied and often passed to another engineer to refine. Once a design is up and running the priests will set about bringing factories up to speed so they can churn out items in large quantities.

Malog has a relatively large number of engineers and has focused on building the factories to ensure his troops are well equipped.

The Delgon have a few engineer-priests who are responsible for overseeing production and maintenance, but they are far more limited in their inventiveness.

Hope that helps!  Smiley
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »

Reminds me of Leonard of Quirm.

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: