The World Of Twilight
April 25, 2024, 09:35:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creature Design Contest!  (Read 11843 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 25, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »

Hi all!

I've always valued input from other people when creating Twilight, so I think it's about time we have a little contest. I've got lots of different thoughts on contests I'd like to do eventually (scenarios, characters, Empire clans etc) but to begin with I'm going to go for something a bit random and fun and get you all to design some creatures for Anyaral.

There are a couple of threads discussing the creatures of Anyaral, so it's up to you if you want to create something directly in keeping with the style of the existing creatures, or create a completely different phylum. I'm looking for something quite fun and different, but that still fits within the world. If I particularly like any of the ideas then I might tweak them a bit (if necessary) and sculpt them for the range.

How to enter:
I'll create a sub-forum where you can post your entries. Alternatively you can send me your entry by email. You will need to include the following in your entry:
  • The creature's name
  • A short description of the creature - what sort of environment does it live in? What does it eat? How does it interact with the Fubarnii and the Devanu? Is it domesticated? What does it look like? Any distinctive behaviour?
  • A quick sketch/image of your creature to show what it looks like. The quality of the sketch doesn't matter too much, but do try to include a scale bar of some sort to show how big it is.

Some ideas:
There are lots of different niches that could be filled in Twilight - new hunting beasts for the Devanu, domesticated Fubarnii beasts that are used as mounts, packbeasts or food, wild animals. The important thing is that the creature somehow feels 'real', even if it looks outlandish or behaves in a strange manner. Just look at the variety of creatures on earth! If you want to push the boundaries and suggest some interesting fauna, or strange symbiotes then feel free.
Do try to consider how big the creature is if you would like to see it sculpted - it's probably best if it would fit on a 30 or 40mm base.
You can see some of the other entries so far here.

The competition rules:
The competition will run until the 3rd July (as long as it is the 3rd July somewhere on the planet you can still enter...). After that I'll post a thread to show them all off. There will be two prizes, one which will be an open vote on the forum and one which will be entirely chosen by me.
Each winner will get £15 worth of twilight figures, and if I feel inspired enough to sculpt your creature then I'll send you a couple of copies of the master castings when they eventually get done that you can show off to your friends.

Other stuff:
I think the following covers all the important stuff, but they may get changed if I realise I've missed anything!
  • If you enter the competition then you are agreeing that I can make full and free use of the ideas for the Twilight setting, even if you don't win. You retain the rights to the artwork, but I may ask to use it if it is particularly pretty. Smiley
  • I reserve the right to modify any entries so that they 'feel more Twilight-y'. Please don't take offence if I end up changing your ideas! This could include stuff like redrawing them slightly, or changing the names to fit the Fubarnii language.
  • By entering the competition you are vouching that all the work is your own intellectual property, or that you have the owner's permission to share it.
  • The decision on the winners is final and may be entirely arbitrary.
  • You can enter as many times as you like.
  • Anybody can enter. Except me, cos that would be a bit like cheating...
  • You can post your ideas on the forum for feedback, as long as you don't mind other people drawing inspiration from them!
  • If you've got any questions at all then post them here!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:10:00 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:30:07 pm »

Great idea  Wink

Need to start doodling  Grin

Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:15 am »

I would enter, but I'm really not sure my drawing's up to it...  Embarrassed

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:00 am »

Just give it a go dude!  I'm thinking a great idea is what will decide winning entries more than artistic ability anyway  Grin

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:14:45 am »

I would enter, but I'm really not sure my drawing's up to it...  Embarrassed
Tater is spot on - it's not at all about the drawing. If your drawing isn't great then do a very quick sketch and make sure you include a solid physical description of it as well! Maybe somebody might even help you out with a slightly neater sketch. It's all about having a bit of fun and sharing a few ideas  Smiley
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:28 am »

I'll hopefully get something up soonish. Shall I advertise it int he next CtA issue, too?

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:24 pm »

There are just under two weeks left of the creature design contest on the World of Twilight forum. There have been a few entries so far, but there is loads of scope for other ideas and still plenty of time to get inspired and start doodling. There are lots of Twilight goodies up for grabs as prizes, along with the potential to see your ideas in miniature form. You don’t need to be a great artist to enter and there’s nothing to stop you entering more than once if you are feeling particularly creative.

You can check out some of the entries so far on the Twilight forum, and they all feel like they could be wandering over the world of Anyaral so the contest is wide open. The entries are however currently lacking any really vicious predators, unusual mounts or flying creatures, so there are plenty of other niches left to explore!

If anybody fancies pimping the competition elsewhere then that would be great Grin
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:32 am »

i have an entry in mind - just not written it down.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:11 am »

Artman posted an excellent entry here last night. I've moved it into the Creature Creations folder so go and have a look at it here.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:16 am »

Just a couple of days to go now...
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:48:42 pm »

And we are in to the final day... there's still time for a few last minute entries!
I've been collating the entries I've received so far which has been kinda fun  Smiley
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:18:40 am »

The contest is now closed! We've got plenty of fun ideas there, so thanks to everybody who entered Grin

I'm collating entries and will put up a public vote within the next few days. Then I'm going to have to make a decision as well...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: