The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 04:22:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twilight Ramblings 14 - Naming Conventions  (Read 4242 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »

When creating characters for Twilight I have a set of informal rules that I use to name them - primarily based on how the 'feel'. When Cre has been writing his travelogues I put together some rough guidance and example names to help him out. I thought it might be nice to share these! Let me know what you think, or feel free to use this thread as a place to check names you want to use (write the name of the character and a rough description - I'll let you know if it sounds right, or could do with tweaking).

Empire
Names vary greatly across the empire, and a Fubarnii's name should tell you a lot about where he comes from.
As an example, the Fubarnii around Casan and Tehral tend to have longer names, such as Danakan or Elakiim. Herders of the central empire tend towards simpler names, such as Dramar or Beru. The city dwellers of the central empire would traditionally have similar names, but there is a tendency towards more exotic sounding names as well.

City:
Eladin
Terarl
Arudor
Etalu
Plutom

Herders:
Beru
Brenar
Elodin
Berad
Jarnet
Galin
Jeru
Dramir
Dramar
Gren
Gart
Elim

Casan:
Eladiin
Elakiim
Danomar
Danakan
Joralei
Timeronii
Jenakim

Delgon:
Naming conventions vary greatly between the different castes.

Nura:
Gohral
Gerahno
Koreili
Sohdal
Seliim
Sinelii
Jarliim
Esahii
Jonnar
Rousin
Elush

Kal:
Gren
Dengu
Perin
Dega
Jarl
Prag
Jali
Jalo
Joga
Koma
Tira
Elid
Tiran

Dhogu:
A dhogu warlord is a kimut. A tribe is referred to as the Kimutkii. Kimut Dhoral is a powerful warlord, who leads the dhoralkii. Kimut Dreman promised the Enarii troops, who now serve the Delgon as the KalDreman.
An honoured warrior is referred to as Pairush. (pai-roosh, not pair-rush)

Pukiik
Carniik
Chuliin
Juhncau
Nuhti
Tuupiat
Tikaan
Saagohni
Pukalria
Amahguk
Anakiim
Chiibuk
Keyush
Tunguul
Telonraa
Suka
Dohral
Chenkuyakii
Meshiik
Negushii
Paniiru

Note: Names are usually single names (rather than having surnames).

Devanu:
The Devanu struggle with a lot of human sounds, so have harsher names that can be said using the tongue and clacking jaws. This means they tend not to have m's, p's and b's etc. Adult Devanu usually have two names, one given once the Devanu has proved itself on a hunt, and a further one once she has proved that she deserves it.
Prior to their first hunt a Devanu doesn’t deserve to have a name.

Jerak
Arak
Dakin
Joka
Tahkak
Dijak
Delek
Dar
Jek
Keh
Katain
Tekar
Triiak
Kotar
Kohtcha
Johtar
Kohtain
Tekan
Dak
Arlin
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:56:51 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »

This guide is very useful. Sometimes I find it easy to come up with a name but at other times it's a complete pain in the butt, lol. Good work sir!

HN
Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

Been wondering how to name my Trader; perfect timing Cheesy

Great resource.

serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

Hmmm, should be useful for the character creation competition... Wink
Pages: [1]