The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:12:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The raiser of the dead (?)  (Read 3853 times)
Ritualnet
Jenta

An untold story, known by all.

« on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:48 pm »

Ok here goes. I haven't come up with a name yet, so any suggestions would be brill!

A curtain of sunlight draped over him as he left, the heat of mid-day embracing him. Behind, the cool shade of the temple seemed to call him back, but he had his duty. With a reluctant sigh, he plodded on. The skin on his hoof, worn through age, felt every cobble underfoot, calming him. It was like a familiar friend, and even if he closed his eyes, his hooves could lead him onwards. In one gnarled hand a staff was clutched, another friend of his, the wood faded, colours which once formed symbols now lost within the grain. The staff's steel shod still gleamed though, making a satisfying clack on cobbles and doors alike, helping to announce his presence to the world. Around his wasted frame lay a comfortable robe, the original dark colours faded and worn, yet he refused to replace it, the threadbare fabric soft against his skin. On his head, his second badge of office, an elaborate hat shaped like a fan, the black linen stitched with white. Of all the official garments, he hated this the most, this was the third such hat he had owned, each one before finding themselves victims of unfortunate accidents. Each time, a replacement was waiting for him a week later, as stiff and uncompromising as the last. Around his neck swung a battered seeing aperatus, a legacy of his old age. He disliked having to rely on such contraptions, but secretly he was glad. His predecessor had no such device, and relied heavily on the novices for their reading skills, something they made a joke of often. He should know, he thought whistfully at the fleeting memory, he was one of them!

His hooves took him to the edge of the trading square, and slowly he moved down the main street. Fubarnii, drawn to the noise stared at him, eyes widening as they took in his attire. Like a ripple, people moved out of his way, forming a mute parade down the street, as more and more people noticed his presence. As he walked, he took in the crowd, unable to meet anyone's eyes as heads turned away, either down in respect, or to the side in fear. Even in those he could call friends, or even family, there was no sign of recognition, just a feeling of unease. His outfit hung heavily, blinding people to the person beneath, like a noble's mask at a party. His knuckles whitened as his grip tightened on the staff. This was not an isolated incident, but as he got older it started to cause him pain. In the event of a Fubarnii death, he was the first called, and given the utmost respect. They needed him then, and he did his role well, sending the departed to the Enarii swiftly. Once done, the family became impatient for his departure, as if his dallying would bring some untold misforture or death. Those without need of his skills saw him as a reminder of their mortality, settling around him like an aura of malaise. Even Knights, hardened to death by years of service stopped their joking chatter when he approached. Such a sense of power, when younger, was almost euphoric; he would laugh to himself as some noble would scurry out of his way like a street born jenta, but now as he grew old, he realised how lonely it could be.

From the crowd, a cry, then a shove, as a small jenta pushed her way through. She stopped beside him, staring into his greying eyes. There was no fear here, no unease, instead a smile as she tugged at his robe playfully. He reached with his free hand to pat her on the head, before the cries of her mother finally pulled her away. Within seconds, the street returned to silence. Everything was as it was, but within himself, everything changed. His grip losened on his staff, a ghost of a smile catching the corners of his face.

Stat ideas

The character has no combat ability, but projects an aura of mortality around him. Any fubarnii within x" are reminded of their mortality, and as such must use at least one of their combat stones in defense. However, they can re-roll one of the defense stones once per combat. (This represents the fact that they are more consious of defending themselves). I'm not sure if this would transfer to any of the other races, would the Devanu be affected by such an aura?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:19:56 am by Ritualnet » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:40:43 am »

I like that. Is he Delgon or empire?
While he could be Delgon I could possibly see him as a priest within the empire. Possibly not the central empire (orthodox religion is less popular there under the current emperor), but I could see him in a more remote city/village. Possibly in one of the cities close to the agoran wastes.
Ritualnet
Jenta

An untold story, known by all.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:06:08 pm »

Empire, I was thinking, less of religion, and more of a modern day under-taker. They take the body, prepare it, and then a funeral pyre is created, where the family (would they be involved?) come along. While a family can (and poorer families will) conduct the pyre on their own, the more important leave this task to... these 'undertakers'. I'm not sure what to call them. Their effect is similar to when we see a hearse on the street, and how even the most jolly moment pauses, or is gone. I think the "temple" might be the main problem, maybe it's like a temple of rest, where the bodies are stored while arrangements are made?

However, religion is totally possible. Can imagine that, far away from the empire, the need to send the dead to Enarii could have become a ritual, one that needs a priest to conduct.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:42 pm »

An interesting idea. I like it. Smiley

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: