The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 09:07:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enarii Sallar, the Dark Sempa  (Read 5504 times)
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 17, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

Hi all,

Here's the first of my two entries; I'm assuming we can enter more than once. When Mike threw down the gauntlet I just couldn't resist, hope you all enjoy!

Enarii Sallar, The Dark Sempa

In ages past, before the rise of the Devanu, there was a village on the shores of the Western Ocean. The name of this small settlement has long since fallen from history just as the village itself was swallowed by the relentless pounding of the waves.

The Fubarnii of this village relied upon the sea for their livelihood, casting nets from their small boats. Staying close to the rocky shoreline they caught from the rich pickings that swam there. But, the dangers are just as plentiful and more than one fisherman lost their life to the storms, waves and large predators that prowl the fierce coasts.

One evening, the cool Twilight was interrupted by a fearsome storm that sprung up, dragging a fleet of fishermen far out to sea. In the rough sea their sails and rudders were useless and it was all they could do to stop themselves from being thrown overboard.

Back on shore, the Sempas of the village lamented as the small fleet was swallowed by the raging sea. Sallar, first Sempa of her household, despaired that her Kopa was lost so she went to the house-shrine and preyed to the Enarii. She wept as she loved her husband dearly and in her pleas to the ancestral gods she promised her life in exchange for her husbands.

With certainty in her heart she made her way down to the docks, took a boat and began rowing out to sea, ignoring the pleas of her kith and kin to remain on shore. As she rowed further and further from land, Sallar repeated her promise, oblivious to the shadow that rose up from the depths behind her small craft. Horrified, the Fubarnii back on shore could only watch as the largest sea creature any of them had ever seen rose up and swallowed Sallar in one great gulp, boat and all, before returning to the murky depths.

At that moment, when the fishermen in the storm had lost all hope they found themselves on a calm sea once again for the storm had passed as quickly as it had arrived. The fishermen quickly thanked the gods and set sail for home. Only once they returned did they hear of Sallar’s sacrifice freeing them from the clutches of the storm.

The families of those saved from the storm created a shrine in Sallar’s honour and word of her sacrifice spread up and down the coast. Within a generation she was recognised as having been elevated to the Enarii. Over time, the worship of Sallar spread and even inland Fubarnii began looking to her for help recovering that, which was lost. But, such help came at a high price and she soon gained a reputation as a last resort, known as the Dark Sempa.

Festival
Sallar is commonly worshipped on the first day of spring, when the families offer up sacrifices in payment for the return of warmth in the new year. Effigies of wood and flowers are constructed by the community and born around the settlement to spread their blessings before being taken down to the shore and cast adrift as an offering. Communities inland light a great bonfire and cast their effigy into the flames where it is consumed as a offering.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.  Grin

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44:52 pm »

But if she was drowned then she couldn't have been cremated and she couldn't have joined the enarii on enar... To drown is a terrible fate for a fubarnii.

Other than that I like it!
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:04 pm »

Its good!what would she be like in game?

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52:53 pm »

Thanks Mike, though she didn't drown she was eaten by a big beastie of the deep...from there who knows what happened...

Cheers Megatron! Cheesy I hadn't really planned her as a playable character, more for the background. My other character idea is definitely more playable though...just need to find the time to type her up before 30th...

HN
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:55:22 pm by Hairy Norseman » Logged
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

What are the Fubarnii's thoughts on transmutation?

After Mike pointing out the rather glaring fact that in my tale Sallar wasn't cremated (so how could she become an Enarii?) I went back to the drawing board and came up with this...

With certainty in her heart she made her way down to the docks, took a boat and began rowing out to sea, ignoring the pleas of her kith and kin to remain on shore. As she rowed further and further from land, Sallar repeated her promise, oblivious to  the ferocious storm that enveloped her. Horrified, the Fubarnii back on shore could only watch as she vanished from view.

At that moment, when the fishermen in the storm had lost all hope they found themselves on a calm sea once again for the storm had passed as quickly as it had arrived. The fishermen quickly thanked the gods and set sail for home. Only once they returned did they hear of Sallar’s sacrifice freeing them from the clutches of the storm. The families of those saved from the storm created a shrine in Sallar’s honour and word of her sacrifice spread up and down the coast. It wasn't long before rumours spread as to Sallars fate, the most popular was that she had been swallowed by some terrible beast of the depths.

A few years later a group of wave-hunters slew a great beast. Hauling its carcass back to land they divided the meat amongst the village. From the beak of this creature one of the fishermen carved a relief of Sallar and placed it within her shrine. With the arrival of spring came a great surprise, the carving of Sallar was seen to shed a single tear. The group of fishermen in attendance were awestruck, believing her spirit to reside in the relief. Taking it up they carried it about the village before throwing it into a great fire, allowing Sallar's spirit to rise up as one of the Enarii

Over time, the worship of Sallar spread and even inland Fubarnii began looking to her for help recovering that, which was lost. But, such help came at a high price and she soon gained a reputation as a last resort, known as the Dark Sempa.

What do you think? Cheers

HN
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:29:26 pm »

Nice save  Wink
But seriously i like it. The wave riders, the shrine it all sees very natural, and fitting and not to OTT. good stuff

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:55:42 am »

Merci Sir!  Grin

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: