The World Of Twilight
April 25, 2024, 06:10:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: curved walls? half height walls? walkway roofs?  (Read 4738 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: August 24, 2010, 11:25:59 am »

ok, so i know that things are on hold for a while regardigng my models but that doesn't stop the brain from working. I also had a suggestion by pm on another forum that they would like to see curved wall sections to go with the stockade walls and watchtowers.

This would be relatively simple to do, but i wondered about the 'usability' of them.

So i thought i'd ask some wider questions here.

- would you like curved walls?
- in what angles? 1200 to match the watchtowers? 60o something else?
- would you use these instead of a watchtower that would change the wall angle anyway?

I was also asked about half height walls. The current walls are 111mm height to the upper walkway. Which, it has been suggested is,  for a simple barricade too tall.
- Would you like to see half height walls?
- If so which half would you like to see? sloped or vertical (i.e. upper or lower half)

Finally covered walkways. I've been wondering about making simple roof sections to go over the wall and bridge lengths. Probably with 6 columns holding up a simple gable ended triangular roof section that can be covered in slates/shingles. I'm thinking of making these sections magnetically attached in the same way as the watchtower roof. If i were to do this i would have to have magnet holes in the deck of the wall and bridge sections - would this detract from the walls and bridge kits if you opted NOT to use the roofs? I would sell the roofs as optional components.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

Half-height walls would make more sense vertical style IMO. Optional rooves is a yes definitely, and curved wall sections would be good as not every corner of every fortification will be able to have a tower on it...

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

Keeping curving the wall through 60deg means you could make a smaller 3 tower fort type structure as an alternative to the 6 tower mega wall. I'd make them slightly longer if possible to keep the internal size reasonable. I wonder what the length of wall which would allow for a mix of curved and straight walls is. i.e. replace two two straight walls and a tower with a single curved wall!!!! probably far to long to make in one piece.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »

the 6 tower mega structure you mention - assuming its made from 6 wall lengths and 6 towers would only be 654mm across the flat edges on the inside (that's just over 2 feet). so its not that huge. I'm not really expecting people to buy enough kits to make whole forts - mOre just a few wall sections a couple of towers and a gate to stretch across maybe one corner of a board or across one end. With maybe a couple of buildings inside or out.

to replace two straight walls with a tower between would be around 594mm long - way to big to try and make for a single kit from a4 sheets.

I just realised that making half height walls from either the sloped or vertical sections is simplicity itself from the existing kit so i think i shall leave thet to customers who want to modify their kits - perhaps providing the suggestion in the assembly instructions?

optional rooves will certainly be coming - fairly simple to achieve and I think very effective.

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

Good plans. Suggested modifications to kits is a great way forward - I liked the extra templates etc in the stable for enclosing under the stairs.
Would there be anything to stop you using the walkway rooves at ground level? I could see that being handy.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:22 am »

Would there be anything to stop you using the walkway rooves at ground level? I could see that being handy.

I guess not. It would just be a 151mm long, 38mm wide roof section on 6 cylindrical tubes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: