The World Of Twilight
April 30, 2024, 05:35:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: General Thread of Life Discussion  (Read 27203 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 11:12:59 pm »

5 a levels... they must be getting easier ... :p

get 5 A's and have a free media studies degree.... no wait, you get a free media studies degree with a box of frosties.

Maths Physics and Chemistry are the classics - but History? interesting choice!

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:20 pm »

Maths Physics and Chemistry are the classics - but History? interesting choice!

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics... and Classical Civilisation.  Loved it.  I'm looking forward to doing more essay writing.

I'm currently a Library Assistant, but it's not a real job.  I'm sort of having a gap year.  Before that I was Undergraduate Coordinator in the Politics dept at Bristol Uni.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »

I did applied maths, physics, chemistry and computer science (and general studies but no one counts that) - wish I'd thrown art in there instead of the chemistry - think i'd have liked a job with both the hard engineering AND the arty design - like an architect..

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:31 pm »

I did maths, physics and biology. I wanted to do Art as well, but was discouraged from doing that and briefly did Chemistry instead. I guess my teachers had a good point that I could keep doing arty stuff as a hobby, but it would be good to get more formal teaching in it at some point.
In my last year at Uni I went through a stage of wishing I had done an architecture degree - as with Alan, I think it looks to be a nice mix of art and engineering!
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 12:05:16 pm »

I did maths, physics and biology. I wanted to do Art as well, but was discouraged from doing that and briefly did Chemistry instead

I did Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Art... and the dropped Chemisty after the first year. Formal teaching in art was... different. I did a term of a foundation course in art and graphic design after i left school, but that was a bit on the pretentious side. Not my cuppa. Now I'm wishing I had stuck to my guns and gone for the Sports Science degree I initially had my eyes on. Still, things work out the way they do...
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »

ok, so we have established that we are all ridiculously well educated and smart on this forum Smiley

now i wonder whether there is any correlation between academic achievement and a liking for toy soldiers?

personally i think there is - its about exercising the imagination to create...

Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »

now i wonder whether there is any correlation between academic achievement and a liking for toy soldiers?

I wonder also, I have spent 9 years in college.  I have spent 5 years earning my Bachelors in Biology and another 4 years earning a Doctorate in Pharmacy.  And I have to say, I love toy soldiers, and legos, and first thing I do when I go into a department store is to head to the toy isle.  And I swear, my drivers liscense says I'm 35, lol.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »

ok, so we have established that we are all ridiculously well educated and smart on this forum Smiley

personally i think there is - its about exercising the imagination to create...

Or possibly it's a correlation between geek, science/engineering subjects and wargaming...

On a bit of a tangent...
I've spent most of this afternoon (after going to 'baby signing' with Lexie and Jules) sorting out my shed. I now have a nifty little workbench (designed and built from scratch) where I can sort and pack little metal figures!  Grin I also have much better storage for the packed figures. I'm feeling stupidly proud of myself for such a minor achievement...
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:29 pm »

(...) going to 'baby signing' with Lexie and Jules (...)

erm... i know i shouldn't ask... but WHERE did you sign your baby and did you use indelible ink?

Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:28 pm »

I've spent most of this afternoon (after going to 'baby signing' with Lexie and Jules) sorting out my shed. I now have a nifty little workbench (designed and built from scratch) where I can sort and pack little metal figures!  Grin I also have much better storage for the packed figures. I'm feeling stupidly proud of myself for such a minor achievement...

Cool!  What signs did you learn?
Well done with the shed thing.  I know sheds are important to men.   Tongue
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:19 am »

There seems to be a better correlation between sciences and wargaming than history or english and wargaming, which is interesting... I suspect it's more the fact that that's how these things have grown than a natural correlation though (same with the male/female split on wargames, my suspicion is that if more girls let themselves get into such hobbies they'd actually probably enjoy them; it's an "oh, that's geeky" thing).

History's actually probably what I want to do degree-wise, but to leave the option open one needs more sciences than arts really - certainly looking at several universities they accept Maths as a core subject for arts subjects, so Maths + History = one valid combo for History, as does Maths + Chem + Physics to do a Physics degree.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

Have you ventured over the Frothers?  Shocked
Beastlord
Apprentice

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »

There does seem to be a science trend in everyone here's education! (I also did maths, physics, chem and biol) I really regret that I had to abandon english, history and art though...
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 11:30:47 pm »

Um, no.  Do they have a shed?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

Um, no.  Do they have a shed?

Best not to ask or you will probably get an invite.
Which is something you certainly don't want.  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: