The World Of Twilight
April 19, 2024, 01:54:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Birth  (Read 3516 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: August 17, 2010, 04:20:30 pm »

OK I may have missed some of this amongst all the other discussions, and i suspect Beth must have covered it at some point but i can't see it.

How are Fubarnii (and guess Devanu) born?

Are they live born or are the species nesters and egg layers?

I ask cos i suddenly thought a nest with eggs in perhaps with newborn jenta would make a great game objective...

A devanu nest in a tree , or a fubarnii nest underground i suspect?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:53:35 pm »

There have been a lack of conversations about reproduction recently...

Both Fubarnii and Devanu are born from eggs. The egg material is generated by the Sempa at specific times and under specific conditions. It is excreted from a small orifice positioned around their chest region (which is why you will probably never see a topless Fubarnii - I've been a bit remiss in excluding that from the unbridled Enuk, but you can assume it is well concealed). The Kopa fertilises the egg material shortly after it has been excreted, and the reaction of the two materials causes the egg to harden where it contacts the air. The young develop inside the eggs until the Jenta are ready to hatch.

Fubarnii of the Empire traditionally lay their eggs in carefully constructed bowls that are often handed down through the generations. The Delgon maintain a stricter creche system and the eggs are generally gathered together in the nursery prior to hatching. Ferals will lay their eggs into fabric bags that strengthen the surface of the eggs and also allow them to be carried around more easily. Fubarnii twins are rare, but not unknown.

Devanu egg material is more viscous and as with the Ferals the eggs are layed in fabric or stuck to branches that can then be carried. Devanu traditionally nest in trees and will lay their eggs high up in the branches. If that is not possible they will lay their eggs on long sticks that can be planted into the ground, thus keeping the eggs away from the earth (eggs touching the ground are considered spoiled, a tradition that is linked to various parasites that can get into the egg, leading to weaker offspring). The Devanu eggs will often fertilise and hold several young, and it is not unknown for the young to kill each other prior to hatching. That is generally seen as a sign of strength for the surviving offspring.

Beth might correct me on a couple of facts in the above, but hopefully that answers your question a bit! Scenery pieces with eggs and youngsters would be fun to do.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

(which is why you will probably never see a topless Fubarnii - {...} The Kopa fertilises the egg material shortly after it has been excreted,

well none of that sounds like any fun!

what do they do on long winters evenings? no wonder they are so industrious.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: