The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 07:32:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: More ramblings - any requests?  (Read 17524 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:19 am »

I think it's about time I did some more ramblings about Twilight...
What topic would anybody like me to cover? I'm open to requests Smiley
Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »

I would like to see a rambling (with drawings) about the environment.  Such as plant life, rock formations, weather changes, different climates, rivers & lakes, forrests, mountains, etc...  Are there Desert Fubarnii, Swamp Fubarnii? Forrest Fubarnii?  This topic interests me because it can impact the game as well.  I would like to make terrain that fits the idea of the world as well.  For example, it's o.k. to play game with a table full of palm trees or Christmas type trees, but I would really like to have/make trees that better represent the world of twilight.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:29:31 pm »

Good question. Kinda broad, but I'll have a think on it. If nothing else I can dig through some old sketchbooks and see if there is anything worth sharing.
Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

Well, to be more specific, I'm interested in the different types of plant life.  What is most common type of tree/shrub/flower/moss?  Are there any type of strangling vines, walking trees, or Fubarnii eating plants? Maybe toxic plants that spew toxic spores?  Are trees standard like in the real world, such as pines and oaks?  How exotic is the plant life?  I always like drawings.  Wink

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:39:13 pm »

Plant life would be helpful just in case anyone might be working on a secret game board which might include a few trees ...

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:47:06 am »

I had a think about this last night and did a few sketches, but didn't have chance to scan them in.
One thing to note is that everything is different on Anyaral - there aren't oak trees and pine trees. However, the one general concession I've always made is that there is a great deal of convergent evolution and there are large tree-like organisms that happen to look very similar to oak trees and so on. You could argue that if it looks like an Oak then why not just call it an Oak, but I just like being awkward, and there will generally be differences when it gets to the details.
Another thing to note is that Anyaral is quite a big continent, with climates ranging varying from frozen mountains and tundra, through huge continent spanning forests, savannah plains and even to harsh desert wastes. The plant life varies a lot!

I've got family visiting this weekend, but hopefully I can get some time to share some more ramblings  Smiley
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:45 am »

There is (I have just decreed) a tree with particularly large seed pods (think coconuts, but maybe slightly bigger) the centre of which are padded with fluffy, fibrous material.  This is spun into thread by the Fubarnii.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »

Ah, I think you are speaking of the Jeribo Tree that is commonly found in the woods around Larigal. Jeribo fabric is commonly used as it is hardwearing and takes dyes well (although it is often a little itchy).
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:35:38 pm »

There is (I have just decreed) ..

so spake the goddess!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
maccioniath
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »

Sorry for the threadomancy but it seemed the best place and not worthy of its own thread. I was wondering if it would be possible to get the ramblings on the forum of doom copied over here someplace? My work filter blocks the FOD and thats the only place I have time to read anymore. Also, the pdf link for chapters 1-3 doesn't work. Sorry to be a downer but I love what I've read so far and would like to see the rest.. then I can start really babbling! Wink
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:59:23 pm »

I'll see what I can do, but it'll be a rather manual process so might not be that quick!
maccioniath
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 12:19:58 am »

Oh, dont worry about it then. I thought maybe you had them in a word doc or something. I'll give them a read when i'm home or something.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:34:18 pm »

I was just thinking that I should highlight this thread again. It's been a while since I've done any ramblings, but if anybody has any questions about the world then here is a good place to ask them!
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »

Aquatic lifeforms?

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »

I bought some Eureka frogs at Salute to use as mercenaries. I also intend to buy some of their terrapins. However, I don't expect them to become canon  Grin

I would like more stuff on the Casani and Doghu, perhaps. But I haven't really studied the previous ramblings so I'm not too concerned.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: