The World Of Twilight
April 20, 2024, 01:52:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Portfolio and Production Progress updated 10/7/10  (Read 24504 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: May 09, 2010, 02:20:20 am »

an idea of my progress in creating my building kits.

I have 10 11 stages to getting a kit together, from having a bright idea or suggestion through to getting kits available to buy.  So, I shall try and update the following chart as I make progress. This wont change daily... more like weekly or longer.

I shall update this chart as we go along rather than posting changed versions of it appended to the thread, but feel free to make suggestions of what you might like to see, whether its entire building ideas or just architectural elements.

The ones that I like and get plenty of support will find their way onto the bottom of the chart for consideration.

EDIT: oooo look, I'm an "Official Fubarnii Architect!" does that come with a salary?  Wink

B
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:43:41 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:43:57 am »

Would Pringles be an acceptable currency for you?
Ha ha  Grin

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »

Ooh, nice system for letting people know how things are going!

Would it be worth doing a few extra of each prototype (when you get to that stage) and selling them? Anybody buying one of those knows they are getting a prototype, but that might be a good way to get feedback and give people the option to get a version much earlier than they would otherwise.

Do you mind me asking what's stalled with Tew-Fah?
Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:59:12 pm »

I thought it was the wrap-round stairs - railing that was stalling the pump-out.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

Thanks for the "ooh" mike.

It's possible to do more proto-types, yes. But as i am getting the hang of this and learning i didn't know whether any of these kits would be complete disasters and therefore useless and I am trying to keep my costs down.  It's possible I could sell on prototypes as I get more confident - I hadn't thought about it.  I did try sending out a prototype before but the person i sent it to cut it up to make something else  Tongue Wink

The Tew-Fah bridge is stalled for a few reasons. The bridge connects 2 buildings, and I only have a single building so far. I wanted the bridge to be able to join any of the buildings i came up with but that means the ends of the bridge need different Radii so they mate with the building correctly. Also I have been using magnets sunk in a 'blob' of putty to locate any hoin between the bridge and the buildings... whilst this works  its inelegant and looks ugly on the buildings when you dont have the bridge in place; I want to devise a way for magnets to be included in the bridge kit, along with suitable pieces for the magnets to be sunk flush with the surface and then attached to bridge and building so that when the bridge isn't attached the building doesn't look odd.  At the moment I am erring towards including a vertical beam member with 4mm magnet holes cut in it which can be glued to the face of the building central to the bridge axis with a similar component on the end of the bridge. I have no idea yet how to fix the variable radii on the bridge-end. (Fecking cylindrical architecture!)

As i'm genuinely not making progress on the bridge right now i thought it fairer to mark it as red.

@ Lord Abaddon of Wormwood - The stairs on the stable are done. I simplified them a little so that there is a top landing and a 1/6 of a turn helical set of stairs descending to the ground - no middle landing. That change means that I can fit the 1mm thick components onto a single A4 sheet of Styrene, and it simplifies the railings.

Its actually been the railing that has been the worst part - trying to accurately model a flattened twisted helix no more than 3mm wide with holes to accept the balusters has been tricky. Compounded by me teaching myself yet another new shiny CAD system along the way.

The good news is I've managed to communicate with Fenris Games now their Salute backlog is cleared and I hope to place an order for PrynGul kits (here forth known as TWP01) in the next week or so, and the prototype kits for the Stables (TWP02) will get cut in the same batch! If I get better at this I shall have to add likely release dates to the progress chart!

@ Darth Tater - I have sooo gone off Pringles... too much of a good thing!  The good news is i think Ben n Jerry's ice cream tubs are next!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:39:27 pm by Brandlin » Logged

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ben & jerrys....... Smiley

I'm thinking a cookie dough barracks........ Wink

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:18 am »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ben & jerrys....... Smiley

I'm thinking a cookie dough barracks........ Wink

I think it might be a Fish Food Barracks with watchtower roof allowing you to put figures under the pergola/ hexagonal roof covering...

... but i really should get the kits i have finished into production first.

darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »

yep......I have a growing stack of empty pringle tubes......97p in Tesco!   Grin

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »

was buy one get 2 free in sainsbury! 75p each Smiley

Now just need a kit or two

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:58:21 am »

They had the short pringles tubes at the Eurostar terminal in Paris... It's a shame you can't get those in the UK any more!
darth tater
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »

They sell them here at the airport too......bloody expensive though!   lol  Shocked

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »

Well I finished a tub of Ben n Jerry's Chocolate Brownie ice cream last night and my wife finished her tub of Hagaan Das Pralines and Cream... so thats two more choices for buildings... the tubs are a bit flimsy though Sad  I hope adding styrene beams to them will stiffen them sufficiently!

If it does, and I can cope with assembling a conical section rather than just a cylindrical one, then I had the best idea yet last night.

McDonalds drinks cups!!

standard size the world over! Smiley

In the meantime I am struggling through the completion of assembly instructions - which is turning out to be a mammoth job.

Lord of Wormwood
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 02:12:47 pm »

Working in pure 3D for the instructions - would be easier to than step by step snap shots... if your heading down that path.

Lord of Wormwood
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 02:35:23 pm »

Working in pure 3D for the instructions - would be easier to than step by step snap shots... if your heading down that path.

The assembly instructions are all CAD generated.

This is a sample image...

I'm working through the whole model and exploding sections, applying the sketch style exporting as a bit map and laying up the whole thing in publisher so you get a downloadable pdf.

Its not difficult, just time consuming. - although I'm not going to be able to do this for the conical shingles sections... Sad they're just a nightmare to model in 3D...

Try this link to see a pair of sample pages from the Instructions...

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »

Updated to include assembly instructions in the progress chart.

Instructions for the pryngul tower are now complete... feedback welcome...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: