The World Of Twilight
April 19, 2024, 06:53:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Pallets for Skin  (Read 3449 times)
Erik
Jenta

« on: October 28, 2016, 12:07:45 am »

I cannot seem to quote or reply to any threads to I'll have to ask as a new topic. 

I am wondering what pallets y'all are using for skin tones, specifically for these:
* Red/orange, like many Fubarnii
* Khaki-ish, like on those incredible Casanii with the flashy colored body paint
* Blue-Gray, like on many of the Fubarnii mounts

What brand paints do you guys use? 

There was a great photo of a dark green, khaki, and lighter yellow, all Vallejo.  That was helpful.  I assume you mixed them and did a three-layered approach? 

Did you guys wet-blend?  Or layer?  Use a wash to tie in the colors (like with those incredible red-washed over black and gray armor plates)?

I'd really like to know how to make that red-orange color.

Thanks!
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 03:18:17 am »

I can't say I'm the most color intensive painter, but I do like to have my Twilight models have a lot of vibrancy. I use a combination of Games Workshop, Vallejo, and P3 paints.

I've been moving away from the GW paints as they tend to dry out way too fast and have become a little pricey for my budget, but their washes are fantastic.  typically i'll start with a very bright color and then use a matching wash in increasing layers until I find just the right look I want. a fairly standard technique, but I favor using washes rather than paints for this as it can lend the skin a mottled look in places and I also prefer to go through several sets of highlighting and re-washing. the best examples of this on my models are the Devanu and  some of the models in my trade caravan.

one of the things I like about the Twilight range is that the models really lend themselves to looking great with a lot of different painting styles and color schemes. the models that I've painted thus far are quite a bit different in style than what I had painted for different game models. it's been a lot of fun experimenting with new techniques and seeing other people's models to pick up some inspiration.   Wink   Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:19:53 am by GrimSnik » Logged
darth tater
Darth Teaser - Twilight Playtester
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:31:59 pm »

one of the things I like about the Twilight range is that the models really lend themselves to looking great with a lot of different painting styles and color schemes. the models that I've painted thus far are quite a bit different in style than what I had painted for different game models. it's been a lot of fun experimenting with new techniques and seeing other people's models to pick up some inspiration.   Wink   Cheesy

Erik, if you check out my pic thread you will see some definite un-official colour schemes  Grin

The miniatures are a lot of fun to paint aswell

joek
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:06:10 pm »

Hi Erik,

Apologies for the delayed response to this! Mike did pester me about this for a while, and I then promptly forgot.

However, the main thing to do is not worry about all the fancy stuff and get the basics down properly - if you're wanting to paint up the figures like the standard ones.

So, for the majority of the figures whose skin is on the brown end of the spectrum, I tend to start with a base colour of:

GW Baneblade brown.

It's a staple colour and it forms the basis for all manner of my stuff. It's also a good midtone colour that you can shade easily and highlight similarly.

Fubarnii are pretty much this as the base, then a brown wash (Agrax Earthshade will do the job perfectly well). I tend to dilute it just a little bit with some water, but all i can advise you to do in this regards is test it out. As long as you don't apply the stuff too thickly, it should be fine.

It's then a task of using the original brown over this, and gradually work up the highlights with diluted paint - don't use white if possible. Use something like a Rakarth Flesh (another GW one). I'd then possibly glaze this all over with a mix of brown and maybe a little purple in the mix to give the skin a bit more life, but that's pretty much it.

(I've over simplified, but that's the basis of it!).

With the casaanii, the skin was pretty much exactly the same, but the base coat was baneblade brown, plus a little bit of more 'red' brown in there too - something like Mournfang brown does the job. I'd then wash this with brown again, and then the same sort of thing highlighting up the levels. I would then probably go over this with a glaze of something like Reikland flesh to give things a little more of a more 'tanned' effect than the Fubarniis.

I can certainly elaborate more if you want, but all i can say is paint something up and show it off here and we can see what happens!

Cheers Smiley
Erik
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »

Ah, thanks.  I am not familiar with these shades of GW browns.  I'll try them out.  

I'm in a bit of a rut, using the same combination of colors (especially browns on fur, leather, dirt, etc.) and these Casanii are making me re-imagine color and grow artistically.  I'll try out your recipe.

I'm wondering, though - that looks like a khaki with a neutral brown over it.  The "official" Casanii seem to have a darker color.  Are we talking about the same example?

http://alkony.enerla.net/images/miniatures/WoTwilight-Casanii_Scout02-2.jpg
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:52:08 am by Erik » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:12 am »

I usually use the same paint combination as Grimsnik.
After an explanation of the master painter himself there is little to add

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: