The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 03:21:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Anyaral Hedgehog analogue?  (Read 8135 times)
NickH
Jenta

« on: March 19, 2014, 10:04:34 am »

Hi, I like your suggestions for what the Anyaral equivalent of a hedgehog would be called, what it looks like and why the fubanarii respect it (this is an important point).

The reason that I'm asking is because I've been exchanging ideas with Mike about the possibility of doing a 'big battle' set of rules for Anyaral (to be discussed in a dedicated topic) and I need a name for the defensive formation used by fubanarii infantry when facing a devanu/grishak assault. In the rules I'm using as a base it's called 'shieldwall' but that's obviously inappropriate  for the fubarnii as so few of then use shields.

For the moment I'm using the word 'phalanx' but this suggests something rather more formal that what I imagine the fubarnii to use, I'm thinking more along the lines of the Scottish EG 'scheltrum' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVOcn2NFN4

The formation looks a bit like a hedgehog or porcupine so that's the kind of creature it would probably be named after and I can imagine a few being kept as unit mascots.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

Perhaps named after some kind of spiny cacti? I suppose with the fact that nothing in this world translates directly to Anyaral you only need a name that sounds right and has a suitable back story.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:29:00 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.

According to wikipedia there are three genus of 'hedgehog cactus':
  • Pediocactus, a genus of cacti containing 6-11 species
  • Echinocereus, a genus of ribbed, usually small to medium-sized cylindrical cacti, comprising about 70 species from the southern United States and Mexico in very sunny rocky places
  • Echinopsis, a large genus of cacti native to South America containing 128 species
Hopefully at least one species will have an appropriate name.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:06 am »

What about Siler's pincushion cactus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pediocactus_sileri ) as inspiration?

The creature could be the Sileru and have a mass of black & white spines.
In English the formation could be either hedgehog or pincushion (I'm favouring hedgehog).

Any thoughts please?
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:49 pm »

Like it. Grin
Nice name and concept. Now we just need a sketch and sculpt of the creature.
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:29 pm »

Sileru sounds like a great name and an interesting formation to add to the Fubarnii Defences.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »

Cool idea Smiley
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:24 am »

I working to get some Delgon soldiers painted so they can demonstrate the Sileru formation for us Wink

Has anyone with drawing skills (not me!) tried to sketch a Sileru?
I thinking it's sort of echidna shaped but with the spines of a porcupine for directional rather than all-around defence.
There will be several species with the largest being about the same size as a giant anteater (30-40 kg).
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:08 pm »

Here we are, a mixed formation of Delgon in Sileru formation:

More information on my blog: http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=2396
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 05:30:25 pm »

Smiley You should turn some of the miniatures so the spears stick out in al directions Wink.
For some reason I imagined it to be a defensive circle formation with the backs of the soldiers facing each other and the acolytes in the middle

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »

Like a shieldwall the sileru formation can be used for all-around defence but that really puts the soldiers in a state of siege, unable to take the initiative.
What it should be used for is to block enemy access to key locations or as an anchor around which the more mobile troops such as Striders can manoeuvre.
Think of a sileru formation as an anvil and plan to use the rest of your force as a hammer to smash the enemy!

In a skirmish you may often get isolated knots of soldiers fighting back-to-back in the so-called sileru jenta formation which may be what you were thinking about Wink
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »

Looking good!
Some day I'll draw you a sileru - sadly a bit busy at the moment...
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »

Can't wait to see your first battle report Nick! Please do a video, I'd love to see your tactics on the field of battle.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: