The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 02:07:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch the Belan. New scenario and Batrep.  (Read 5345 times)
hithero
Jenta

« on: March 29, 2014, 02:38:24 pm »

CATCH THE BELAN

After an attack by the Devanu a Belan managed to escape the slaughter.  The lost Belan is sighted by local militia but a pack of Devanu are in hot pursuit.  Also arriving on the scene is a small force  of Delgon lead by the mighty Roban; intrigued by what’s going on and the sighting of Devanu, Roban charges into battle.  What does the Belan carry upon its back?  Is it worthy goods of spices from distant lands?  Could there be secret intel hidden amongst the good that reveal plans for a super-weapon?  Or is it just one huge Take-Away meal?

FORCES
This scenario is suitable for multi-player games with the KS starter forces or players can field their own 300pt force as we have done here.

OBJECTIVE
Catch the Belan and get it off any table edge.

SET-UP
Place the Belan in the centre of the board.
Each player rolls a die; the highest places his leader no closer than 18” to the Belan. 
The next highest deploys in the same way with the leader about 30” away from the firsts.  The third player then deploys in the same way the other side of the Belan.  The factions’ leaders should be roughly equidistant from each other.  Now in the same order the players deploy their models within 6” of the leader and no closer than 18” to the Belan.

NOTES
Six Initiative Counters are placed in the bag for each player and the Belan along with the two Combat Counters.
The Belan will be in one of two states during the game, controlled or uncontrolled.
If a model from only one player is adjacent to the Belan, then that player controls the Belan.
In no model is adjacent to the Belan and only one player has a model within command range of a model with the Beast Handler skill, then that player has control of the Belan.

If a player is in control of the Belan then it may be activated as part of his force.
If the Belan is uncontrolled then it will move cautiously (3”) in a direction determined by whoever has Initiative (the player who activated immediately before the Belan’s Initiative Counter was drawn)

BATTLE REPORT

Fubranii Militia: 1x Commander, 2x Captains, 10x Militia
Delgon: Roban, 1x NuraKira priest, 1x KalDroma bodyguard, 2xKalGarkii troopers.
Devanu: 1x Matriach, 1x Jenta Handler, 1x Jenta Hunter, 1x Kosok, 2x Grishak

We only have the Delgon miniatures at the moment so old Kobolds and Lizardmen were used for us to play the game.

Turn 1.  All forces move towards the middle as the Belan wanders towards the Militia seeking it’s handler, and these guys look the friendliest.

Turn 2.  Roban moves into contact to control the beast and with his next Activation stone send it to the waiting Delgon troops who retain control.  The artist paints a picture of the action safe atop his house as other locals hide behind a fence.

Turn 3. The Devanu pack charge in  Roban easily despatches a charging Grishack and then moves to kill a Jenta that moved adjacent to the prize.  The Kosak does a fly-pass and takes down a Delgon trooper.  The Militia slowly move into range.

The pesky Kosak does another bombing run on the priest who is easily killed, so Roban moves in for the kill.  The Militia are forming up ready to get into the fight.

A big bundle takes place.  As Roban despatches the Matriach the Militia horde move in and I find out their special ability.  The Captain has the ability to attack when activated and if militia are already in contact with the enemy, he can add an extra dice for each in combat.  This was giving him 6-8 dice per fight and up to 3 fights per turn – deadly!  Roban withdraws to try to prevent being surrounded while I check my stat sheet to form a plan.

The last Jenta kills of a militia soldier.

Found it.  To my opponents’ surprise I went for an all out attack, I dropped 1 dice to grant Mighty Blow that requires 2 Oran (defence dice, using dice as I don’t have any combat stones) to stop one blow.  With Combat Trained I can re-roll 2 dice, so with 4 hits going in with Powerful blows (-1 Tough save, I despatched a captain and 2 troopers.  In my activation I again moved Roban to prevent being completely surrounded while still controlling the Belan.

After weighing up the odds concerning Initiative and what tokens had already been drawn I went defensive which again took the Militia player on the hop as he was expecting another all out attack.  This meant he put most of his dice in defence and with a minimal attack, I was easily able to save the blows.  The calculated luck held out and I could move the Belan away for a victory.

ROUND UP
This was only our second game and was great fun, with the Initiative system you never know who will get to go next and really do need to think on when you go in for an attack.  You can’t just throw everybody in on your go as your opponent may go next and move out of the fight before a blow is struck.  The combat is straight forward and easy to pick up which means you can spend your time on manoeuvring and tactics, combats do not remain stationary in this game as you move your models around the melee to gain advantage.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »

Sounds like a very fun game you had. With Roban being an absolute beast and a gamewinner. Do you think he was a bit overpowered or was it more due too luck and tactical skill?

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
hithero
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »

Sounds like a very fun game you had. With Roban being an absolute beast and a gamewinner. Do you think he was a bit overpowered or was it more due too luck and tactical skill?

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

I was using him so definitely skill :p  There are plenty of ways to take him down I think, maybe make him use up some Stamina with a barrage of missiles?  The militia had me on the ropes to start with and I think if they went all out attack against him they could take him down but with very heavy losses.  There is also the possibility of just losing scenarios because of lack of models, if he ends up on his own they might not be achievable, which could very well have happened in this one if the Belan had wandered of elsewhere and models were left to slow him down.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 11:23:25 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing Smiley
The main balancing factor with roban is that he can get bogged down in the wrong place, losing you the game on that alone. For most scenarios a force flees if it loses more than half its elites, so you can ignore the big guy and go for his lieutenants. I have seen him killed by militia though. That was a bit embarrassing and not my finest moment...

Good scenario idea as well. Did you give the belan six stones? Did he just activate on the first one or multiple times?
hithero
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:17 am »

We gave him 6 stones with one activation like any other force.  We did try the game twice before this 1st with 3 stones and moving 6" and then 6 stones moving 6" but these games ended on turn two due to him moving as fast as everybody else it was uncatchable, especially if the same player controlled him twice in a row.  With the 3" move before being controlled, it allowed the players to get close before he was under a players control.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:28:35 am »

Great scenario and nice report. Must get a brown to perhaps try this out. Wink
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:05:03 pm »

Nice report and a cool new scenario to try out - I'll put it to the club on our next WoT night and give it a try - thank you!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:23 am »

If the belan had activated randomly, could it then be activated again with beast handler, of was it done for the turn?
hithero
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »

If the belan had activated randomly, could it then be activated again with beast handler, of was it done for the turn?

We just played it with just the one activation like any other unit.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:30:50 pm »

Sounds like a good well balanced scenario Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: