The World Of Twilight
April 19, 2024, 12:07:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delgon Priest and Bodyguard  (Read 5366 times)
NickH
Jenta

« on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:53 pm »

After several failed attempts I've managed to get a Delgon priest and their bodyguard painted.

I'll admit that their skin is blackish rather than greyish but maybe it's the fashion for this bodyguard unit to rub soot on their bodies to make them appear more intimidating?

I've painted the armour the same colour as my Grishaks' scales, clearly you must be tough to have armour made from cured Grishak hide!

One thing I'm not sure of is whether the Fubarii should be ranked-up on semi-regular (1st pic) or regular (2nd pic) movement trays, what do you think please?

More about this on my blog http://fenedgewargaming.co.uk/wp/?p=2383
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:40:51 pm »

Very dark and menacing  Smiley.
How did you do the armour?

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:25 pm »

This photo shows the stages in painting my Grishak, the Delgon armour was done in exactly the same way as the backs of the Grishaks.

The stages in painting the Grishak backs/armour, left to right:
  • White undercoat (gesso primer),
  • Dull beige topsides (Vallejo, German camouflage beige - a very useful colour),
  • Orange wash over the beige (an old Citadel/GW colour, the important thing is that it doesn't dry completely waterproof),
  • Dilute blue-black wash overall (EG paynes grey).
  • Varnish by brush (water based acrylic matt varnish), this is important as it mobilises some of the washes & ink, allowing them to diffuse into the varnish.

The final shades will emerge as the varnish dries, depending on the weather this may actually take several days even though the figures are touch dry in 1-3 hours.

Vallejo German camouflage beige (VGCB) is a very useful colour for cheaply died cloth, just wash over it in a bright ink, apply a dilute 'grubby' wash (I prefer raw umber), varnish and you have 'instant' faded cloth. The Delgons' black clothes are VGCB with two washes of black ink.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »

Thanks Nick! The armour looks very realistic and gives the bodyguard some nice variation in colour. Well done!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:20 pm »

Looking good!
As a general rule I would imagine empire to be in semi-regular formations, but delgon in strict, neat ranks.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:12 am »

Looking good!
As a general rule I would imagine empire to be in semi-regular formations, but delgon in strict, neat ranks.
Thanks for this.

I think I'll go with a recommendation of regular movement trays for all furbanii 'pointy stick' equipped infantry to keep things simple.
NickH
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »

The bodyguard have been joined by a group of good quality soldiers (left on photo) equipped with deraks as well as glaives plus poor quality (levy grade) soldiers (right on photo) who are only equipped with glaives.
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:18:57 pm »

These are becoming quite a nice army. The unifiying colours really make it stand out.
Did I already mention I like your bases a lot. The matching movement tray is a very good idea.

NickH
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »

These are becoming quite a nice army. The unifiying colours really make it stand out.
It also make them easier to paint  Cheesy

Did I already mention I like your bases a lot. The matching movement tray is a very good idea.
Thanks!
if you want some to fit the 'official' display-type bases http://www.warbases.co.uk are very willing to do custom designs and offer excellent customer service.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 09:22:11 am »

Those are coming out great - the basing gives a far better impression of troop formations than you can get with the usual display bases.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: