The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 06:44:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Second Frenu playtest  (Read 5497 times)
serin
Qualified Engineer

« on: January 24, 2015, 02:32:14 pm »

Tom (my son) and I finally managed to get our second Frenu game. We decided to have frenu vs Delgon (a bigger points force on Mike's feedback from our first game).
The scenario was a Delgon force scouting out the edge of the forest. The frenu were masters of the forest and ready to ambush. Hence, once in the forest, the Delgon ignored their next 2 Initiative counters.
Also, the frenu forces could only be seen by the Delgon once at least one Delgon figure was within a certain distance of a figure. This distance varied depending on the size of the figure. Thus, Tom marked the positions of all of his figures on a map.

The forest counted as difficult terrain. For blast attacks, the trunks of tree models blocked line of sight and the canopy of the tree obstructed the shot. This meant any models with blast ability needed to try to position themselves carefully.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:37:10 pm »

The Forces:

Frenu
As before - 2 frenu Kaopi, 1 Bagrun with 2 protofubarnii, 2 small swarms, 10 frenu

Delgon
NuraSen with 2 Kal Dromar and 2 Kal Dreman
Nura Kira with 4 Kal Joran
2 Kal Dru
NuraLehn with 5 Kal Garkii

Victory conditions were killing both Frenu Kaopi versus the NuraSen plus either the Nura Kira or the NuraLehn.

The frenu deployed in the forest. The Delgon started outside the forest with the Kal Dru in the centre, the infantry forces on each flank and the NuraSen and 4 bodyguards behind these.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »

The game started with the Delgon approaching and entering the forest and the frenu shuffling their forces unseen to respond to the Delgon deployment.

The Delgon noticed movement in one section opposite the Kal Joran, so moved the Kal Dru to support this area and the Nura Sen came round as back up.
A couple of bomb carrying Frenu made preliminary attacks on the KalJoran, but both successful attacks were saved on tough throws of 5 - much to Tom's annoyance!
Then Tom got a bit bolder and before long, there were 2 main skirmishes going on: A Kaopi, small swarm and a couple of frenu versus the NuraKira and KalJoran; and a Kaopi, small swarm and a frenu versus the NuraLehn and KalGarkii.
The first combat was fought with Delgon initiative and was inconclusive apart from a frenu being lost, thanks to judicious use of stamina by the frenu. However, subsequent rounds allowed the frenu to have initiative and over the course of 3 combats, the frenu gradually chipped aay at the Kal Joran, before, sadly the Nura Kira was killed.

The KalGarkii were putting up a better fight and only lost one troop. All of this allowed the Kal Dru to manoeuvre to get some shots in on the victorious Kaopi and small swarm. Stamina and successful saving throws saved these, however at the cost of a couple of sacrificed frenu.

With one acolyte down, it was getting to crunch time. The KalGarkii again fought valiantly and managed to take out a small swarm.
With this, Tom decided to regroup (partly so as not to expose his Kaopi to the KalDru). He pulled back his forces and concentrated in the centre of the forest.

Next came his master stroke - he sent 2 successive bombing frenu against the NuraSen and his bodyguards, resulting in the loss of 2 bodyguards from the first attack! The next was even more deadly a further bodyguard and the NuraSen were downed.

Game over!
Conclusive victory for the frenu.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »

Thoughts on the game.

First of all, we needed to clarify the Charge rule - it says the charger cannot benefit from support, but says nothing of the model being charged. Can this model benefit from support? We played 'no'. It may have been different if the one being charged could have support - I think the NuraSen would have survived, though a couple of bodyguards would still have gone.

Next, we wanted to fight in the frenu's forest, but with hindsight felt this gave the frenu too much of an advantage, so probably should have given the Delgon a bigger force.

Frenu fought much better in this our second game, particularly now we used the Bagrun effectively. The way Tom marshalled his forces, he probably only needed the one protofubarnii. One guided the Bagrun and kept it out of harm's way. THe other did eventually try to add weight to a fight, but missed the action!

The frenu clearly bossed the show in the forest as all their figures could move at full rate while the poor delgon stumbled around moving cautiously for the whole game.

Another thought I had - are any of the delgon weapons likely to set fire to anything?
Being in a forest, I was not sure if a wayward shot may set fire to trees and potentially cause carnage!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:14 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!

It's not surprising to see the frenu doing well in the forests - I keep wondering whether to allow the frenu player to include a few small copses (a few inches across) as part of their army list so they can better control the battlefield. The Delgon KalGush should probably have rules for burning forests, but maybe more for specific scenarios than as a general rule.

I changed the Charge rules for the new edition - originally the defenders couldn't get support, but I felt that tight formations of militia should be able to support each other. That does remind me that I don't think I ever put the change list up on the forum... I'll do that now!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: