The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:16:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Halcyon's bits and pieces  (Read 18595 times)
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:07 pm »

In addition to my painting competition entries http://www.worldoftwilight.com/forum/index.php?topic=1870.0,
I thought it might be a good idea to post some work in progress shots as well.

As the daylight today has been poor for painting (very cloudy) and I am still getting to grips with the camera I got for Xmas,
I thought I would have a play and take some picture of those Plutom's Mechanicals figures that I have actually finished.

For my previous pictures, I found that I had to resize them quite a bit on the computer, so I tried reducing the pixel resolution.
This time they were photographed under artificial light, so I used my daylight bulb as an extra light source.
I am happy to say I am quite pleased with the outcome.  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:03:59 pm by Halcyon » Logged
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

A couple of KalDru which are also finished, the one on the left has had his head repositioned.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:03:23 pm by Halcyon » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:38 pm »

Ooh! Looking good!
Those look like delgon expeditionaries, venturing down to Orel...
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:03 am »

Wow, nice picture. Your bases clearly matching your desert terrain.
It would have made a nice photograph for the rulebook, combined with Carcharoth's text.

Also, posing your priest this way shows how good your choice of colours was.
Good job!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »

My "Desert Planet" wargames table, has turned out to be very versatile over the years. Although it and the terrain were originally built for playing Starship Troopers, I have found that by just changing some of the terrain it is also suitable for Doctor Who, Malifaux, Cutlass, Napoleonic Peninsular War, Gorkamorka, Judge Dredd and it can now be the Argoran Wastes for Twilight.  Smiley

Talking of which, NuraSen Zhal the leader of the Delgon expeditionary force, currently advancing into the Argoran Wastes.

This figure, along with the NuraLehn, were the test pieces I used to work out the colour scheme for the Priests.
I am still not 100% happy with the staff colour, or the eyes, so I will probably do something about them later on, hence it is still a WIP. However it does show of the headress quite well, so I thought I would share it.

This afternoon I managed to finish painting all my Plutoms Mechanicals, so hopefully I will be able to get some pictures, of them, into the competion section tomorrow.  Smiley

Edit: I forgot to list a couple of games, including the most played one... Gorkamorka.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:05:21 pm by Halcyon » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:31 am »

I think the colour of his staff gives a nice contrast to the red and black.
Nice work!
It makes me want to continue painting my delgon too Smiley.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:12:27 am »

Great stuff. I wouldn't change the eyes - they're different from others' takes on the look of the pieces and give him an interesting feel IMHO.  Smiley

Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:54:29 pm »

I am glad to say that work on my Knights of Orlean starter is on schedule.

As of lunchtime today, they have all been...

a. cleaned (mold lines removed and washed in detergent)
b. sword and lance arms pinned and dry fitted (I will paint them first before attaching)
c. based (sand and grit added to base)
d. undercoated

Hopefully, I will start painting them next week.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:53:59 am by Halcyon » Logged
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 01:52:45 am »

There has been a slight set back on my Militia painting schedule... as I didn't like either of my test pieces.  Sad

I was quite happy with both the Enuks but not with the armour of their riders.  Roll Eyes

For my third attempt, I tried the "official" colour scheme, which although it turned out nice, looked very bland when coupled with my sand colour bases and the buff colour scheme I had chosen for my Enuks.

So, for my fourth attempt, I reversed the colours from my previous try, giving the riders pale blue armour and the Enuk grey tack.

Hooray, a colour scheme I finally liked.  Smiley
WIP picture to follow soon.

(However, they now do look similar to a couple of other Militia forces I have seen... ho hum... that's life.)
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 08:17:09 am »

Grewt dedication to finding the scheme you liked - I look forward to seeing the results of your endeavours  Smiley

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:58:28 am »

Were you painting over the old paintschemes as you went? It would have been fun to see the process  Smiley
Glad you've settled on a scheme now!
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

As I wasn't sure how I wanted them to look, I painted up two of the Knights as test pieces.

I try to paint in thin layers, gradually building up the colour, so if I don't like the colour scheme after the first layer, it is relatively easy to over paint them.

For my third attempt I chose the Knight with the Enuk I preferred and just overpainted the armour and tack. As I thought it turned out a little bland, I decided to repaint my second test piece as well. As the colours on that one were a little dark, I gave it a quick dusting of undercoat before repainting it.

Although it is still a WIP, this is the colour scheme I settled on.  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:06:31 pm by Halcyon » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 05:04:49 pm »

Looking good, I like the colours you choose. 
Only the hood on the enuk is a bit too light in my opinion.
Could be because of the light though.
I love to see your full force.

GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:59:16 pm »

I also like the light tones you've chosen, especially on the enuk. it goes well with the terrain and lends it an arid feel.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »

Blue certainly seems to work well for Orel! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: