The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 04:01:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frenu Playtest III  (Read 5266 times)
serin
Qualified Engineer

« on: March 01, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

Well, as promised, we managed to get in a Frenu playtest.
My son, Tom decided to be Frenu again. After the last game when the Frenu totally dominated the forest, we set up with about a third of the gaming area forest.

The forces were:

Devanu
Alpha Outcast, jenta spear
Grishak Kopa, 3 grishak, 2 grishak Jenta

frenu as per previous games
2 Kaopi, 1 Bagrun, 2 Protofubarnii, 2 small swarms, 10 frenu
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:45:40 pm »

Tom very nobly set up a Kaopi, small swarm and some frenu out of the forest. The rest of his force were lurking in the woods.

The force in the open was caught out though. Devanu managed to activate early and send in the Grishaks to annihilate this group.
They took a Grishak and Grishak jenta with them. They also were not helped by us forgetting that the Kaopi started with 2 stamina points, so several frenu were unnecessarily sacrificed. We felt though, that the grishaks were able to use their aggression to destroy the frenu without too much trouble.

Then Tom started resorting to guerrilla tactics. Sending out 'bombing' frenu from the forest and even a protofubarnii made a foray! This whittled down some grishaks, so that when he sent in the remaining kaopi and swarm, they were able to finish off the remaining grishaks without too much trouble.

All this time, the devanu had been effectively by-standers. They now entered the forest to try to finish off the remaining kaopi. The jenta spear managed to throw one of her spears, but failed to do any damage. Then a speculative bombing frenu managed to somehow kill the jenta spear! I should have used my stamina on 'ferocity' with hidsight!

At this point the sole Alpha Outcast decided to skulk off leaving a frenu kaopi, small swarm, 3 frenu, bagrun and protofubarnii in control of the forest. Oh, and one grishak jenta survived, but since she is untrained she just started picking daisies to pass the time. Roll Eyes
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »

So, what did we learn from this game?

Don't let your frenu be caught in the open by aggressive enemies (those charging grishak were devastating). We forgot to use the kaopi's 2 stamina, but equally forgot about 'Pack Instinct' so they probably cancelled each other out to a degree. And the stamina were delaying the inevitable.

Frenu really do suit guerrilla ambush tactics. I am not sure yet of the best way to combat this. I suppose it is to choose your force carefully. Rapidly moving aggressive chargers and ranged ability troops are probably the best troops to nullify their strengths. Though even a Devanu jenta spear can succumb to a bombing frenu, as I learnt to my cost.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 10:19:51 pm »

Wasn't sure where to post this, so just resurrected an old thread.

I had a game of Twilight with my daughter today. I had a Devanu force and she had Empire.
After the first combat, my Grishaks almost wiped out her unit of militia, so I offered to restart. She declined and was right to do so.
I only killed one more militia figure all game and she destroyed virtually all my figures! Even my Kehlan sent in to kill a knight was killed in his first round of combat! The slingers proved their worth against the Grishaks and the unit of knights supported each other well to take out the Devanu.

She enjoyed the game, needless to say! Embarrassed
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

Sounds like you had a good game! (or at least your daughter did...)

Sorry I never responded to your email on the frenu. Good to hear they are playing as they are meant to  Smiley
Have you used them since?
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »

Not had a chance to use them in anger again yet.
However, I have almost finished painting the frenu and started the new trebarnii, including the big guy!

So we may get another game out of them soon.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »

I have some playtest rules for the trebarnii, so remind me to share them once you've got them painted!
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:07 pm »

Sounds interesting. Having a break from Twilight painting this week - catching up on Napoleonics and Lion Rampant figures. I will let you know when I have painted them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: