The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:01:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New sculpt - Big beastie!  (Read 23397 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 10:48:50 am »

Probably devanu stalking and Casanii protecting...
I enjoyed this sculpt, so there may well be more! What sort of creatures would you like to see?
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 07:10:03 pm »

I enjoyed this sculpt, so there may well be more! What sort of creatures would you like to see?
I was thinking of the Casanii as they reminded me of the native Americans, stalking horses to catch and tame them.

As for more sculpts: some smaller predators would be nice!
There already are a lot of herding animals, but only the Kelahn, devanu and Grishak to hunt them right now.
But I think some more variants of Garkrid would be cool too, as would some kind of protoceratops/rhino beastie.
The big beastie shown on the Facebook page looks a lot better, the snout makes more sense this way.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:41 pm »

Some updated photos! I hope you like how I finished off the snout.
The next job is hacking a couple of legs off so I can get him cast...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:28:42 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 05:32:47 pm »

He looks great like this! I look forward to see Joe's take on it :-).

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 05:44:40 pm »

So do I! I might have to bully him into going to watch Jurassic world for inspiration...
I'm now wondering how I should do a howdah. Hopefully I can do a platform big enough for two or three small bases, plus maybe an integral rider perched on the neck. 30mm bases are rather big though, so that is a challenge!
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »

That's indeed a challenge.
What about a howdah with an extra elevation, or have a howdah on its back with extra platforms on its side? If you do just a platform, it doesn't matter to have the bases sticking out.
You have to be careful to move it though, as the passengers can fall of that way..
This could of course be solved by adding magnets.

As for the rider, doesn't it make more sense to have him leaning over the beastie its head?
You could of course try something different, like putting him in a basket under the head or on its belly (a bit like a kangeroo) Smiley.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:01:23 pm by Kryptovidicus » Logged

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 07:06:58 pm »

If you place him under the animal's head, it might be controlled in a very different way than the usual rope or bit and tackle.  Perhaps with eye flaps, or something on the nose or ears.
Just thinking how the cultures on Anyaral are different from Earth and probably are using different techniques/methods to handle animals.

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:53 pm »

So do I! I might have to bully him into going to watch Jurassic world for inspiration...
I'm now wondering how I should do a howdah. Hopefully I can do a platform big enough for two or three small bases, plus maybe an integral rider perched on the neck. 30mm bases are rather big though, so that is a challenge!

Do it!

Otherwise I can still paint it Wink I'll get the inspiration Cheesy
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:49 am »

Having just re-watched Dinotopia, I think you definitely need a big "transport" beastie with howdah. It'd be a huge model though!
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:23 am »

Looks great mate.

It must be almost soul crushing to have to cut it up Cheesy
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 01:06:41 pm »

Having just re-watched Dinotopia, I think you definitely need a big "transport" beastie with howdah. It'd be a huge model though!
That would be fun to do - more of a one-off display piece though as it would be huge!

It must be almost soul crushing to have to cut it up Cheesy
I've not been brave enough yet...
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »

it looks great!  Smiley   

one of things I've always liked about this world is the scale. I looked at the picture with the new sculpt and the smaller painted model side by side and thought 'now that's a big new beast'.   but then I looked again this morning and realized that the small model is a fubarnii on an enuk which had gone right past me the previous times I viewed it. so now I look at it and think 'wow this new guy is huge!!'   Cheesy  Cheesy

the breadth of the world being created both in terms of physical game play and in the story of Anyaral become more immersive for people because makes a story driven practical use of three dimensions. as humans we generally are only concerned with forward/back and left/right in our daily lives and not so much with up/down, so seeing how you develop the culture for people who live with Kosoks and Kedashi and these great big beasts that tower over everyone else is a real treat. 

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 04:49:02 pm »

Don't forget that even mounted on an enuk the Fubarnii isn't that big a model  Wink

I've always loved playing around with variations in size (possibly blame the doozers...). Even within 'normal' humans the variation is incredible, so that's something I've worked into the world  Smiley

It's particularly fun working on the Casanii as I'm using them as an excuse for bigger creatures that should form part of their core forces.

There's another beast (the hadera) that I've not shared much about yet. Nowhere near as big as stompy, but still quite eyecatching!
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:00 pm »

That is a thing of beauty, can't wait to see the howda.

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 10:17:38 pm »

Have you seen the large extinct mammal Brontotherium? Something along that sort of lines would be good  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: