The World Of Twilight
April 19, 2024, 09:27:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning a scenery contest...  (Read 10814 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:08 pm »

I've been thinking about launching a scenery building contest... What would you like to see? Should it be very free-form, or more structured? One option would be to say that all pieces must essentially fit on an area the size of a CD, but that would stop people entering larger creations. Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Smiley
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:44 pm »

Sounds interesting !
I'd like to do a scenery or two specific to Anyaral. A contest would be the better kick in the butt to build them !

Fans français de WoT: si vous voulez une version traduite des règles, envoyez-moi un MP Wink
My FB page (twilight and many else): https://www.facebook.com/Les12TravauxDesFigs
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »

As I mentioned before, I sure would like to see a scenery contest!
I think you should go for the free-form. As it is the first scenery contest you are organising it would be very cool to see what everyone comes up with.
Perhaps you can split the contest in two, one for small terrain and another for the larger pieces.
CD size is a good standard in my opinion.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 10:57:41 pm »

Let's say almost CD, so I don't have to scrap my bases of the houses Wink

But I agree on a free-form is best too, let's come up with real gaming tables and Delgon fortresses later Smiley
Halcyon
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:07:11 pm »

Before replying I have just checked whether my building made from a drinking chocolate container will fit on a CD or not.
Fortunately it does, so the CD size format works for me.  Smiley
Hopefully, if there is a contest I might actually get around to finishing it.  Cool
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »

Cool idea.

Not sure about sizes though if you allow large entries (a tad rude perhaps) then you'll need to have a suitable building window.

I like the idea for 2 entries, maybe one free and the other restricted to max of the CD size base.

It does get the brain whizzing...
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:56:54 pm »

Next question... how long should I run it for?
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:01 pm »

Maybe over July/August?
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »

Maybe over July/August?

I agree! Building terrain takes time, so a few days off during the holiday months sure will help contestants to finish their projects.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 03:01:44 am »

sounds good to me as well.  things took a busy a turn for me when spring rolled around, but I expect my schedule to become less involved for most of July into August..... so hopefully I can finish my forces and create some terrain.
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:47 am »

I'm in Italy from July 1st to 20th, but after this date i'm ok !

Fans français de WoT: si vous voulez une version traduite des règles, envoyez-moi un MP Wink
My FB page (twilight and many else): https://www.facebook.com/Les12TravauxDesFigs
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 10:30:05 am »

How does this look as a plan? Any final suggestions before I launch the contest?

Landscapes of Anyaral 2015 - Scenery Building Contest

Earlier this year we ran a very successful painting challenge that saw a great number of Anyaral’s denizens getting a lick of paint! These nicely painted models do need their own piece of Anyaral to fight over, so as promised I’m going to run a contest to encourage you to get building some scenery!

The challenge (should you wish to accept it) is to build some Anyaral-themed scenery. You could start turning those hoarded pringles tubes into a grand fubarnii house, construct a dhogu campsite, a delgon lookout post or a bustling market. You could even set to work creating a devanu tower hidden in the depths of the Argoran wastes. There are no specific constraints on entries and some well-constructed characterful little pieces of scenery would be just as welcome as larger more-ambitious pieces.

The best entries will win Twilight related goodies as well as a special preepree trophy that can only be won in these sorts of contests! There will be a vote on the forum at the end of the contest and there will also be a few random prizes for entries that I think capture the feel of the world particularly well.

The contest is going to run until the 24th August, which gives you a couple of months over the summer to create something special.

Ask for help!

If you’ve got a grand idea or are searching for inspiration then just ask on the forum or on facebook. It’s a great opportunity to bounce ideas around and get feedback which could help you turn a good idea into something even better.

As many of you have seen, I’ve had lots of fun little bits and pieces cast over the years, some of which have never really been released. These include lots of random little bottles, tools and extras, as well as plates of tasty looking fruit or grubs. If you would like a chance to win a few of these little pieces then show off some work in progress during the challenge. If I’m suitably impressed I’ll send a few bits your way!
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:30 am »

Twilight Scenario Contests - ruining your diet since 2015 Tongue

Other than that, sounds great Smiley
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:54:28 am »

Twilight Scenario Contests - ruining your diet since 2015 Tongue
Grin
Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »

Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: