The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:52:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Kadmon's Scenery - Taelan's Market  (Read 17680 times)
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 04:58:14 am »

Very close to the original artwork, well done! Looks amazing!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 02:07:11 pm »

I've finished the first "wave" of the market. I have to travel away for 3 weeks, so I took a day off to complete the project at home Smiley
Here are the comparison shots to the original art
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 02:27:11 pm »

I've made the shelves removable by putting self-adhesive (SA) glue on the backs of them. This way I can easily remove them from the buildings if I want to. I have only 4 yet, partly because I realized they won't be seen during games if I put them into the buildings...
I also used the same glue on the frames of the market stalls so I could remove the stall tables.
The scrolls are glued permanently on the table, but the boxes and baskets have SA glue on the bottoms to stick to the tables. I have several more tables, so I'll need to create more stall stands. Most of the tables and also the boxes have markings on them - maybe prices, or signs of the merchant house, I have no idea Smiley
The big, round trough for the animals is also attached to the stand with SA glue. I'll make removable water and feed to put into that later. (Probably add SA glue to those too)
Most of the things are just parts I've casted in plaster by creating strange forms in the playdough and filling the holes with plaster. Then I painted random colours on them. They might be works of art, musical instruments, they could be anything.
I've made a bunch of sacks, too. I never would have thought making them would be this easy, so I'll make a few more in the future. (On the big picture the sacks are on the left, above the cow-patties)
The cow patties are supposed to be some kind of ropes or similar things, but it doesn't really show Smiley That's why I've painted some red and white on them to show they are artificial things.
The other round things are maybe rings of copper? Or some other yellow metallic things.
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 02:33:00 pm »

When I started to compare the things I've made to my miniatures, I've realized they are totally oversized, so next time I'll try to make everything smaller.
I've measured the size of the stalls and the shelves though, so they should be okay.

As I want to use the market with several scales of miniatures, I tried to make sure they look good with 1/72, 28mm and 32mm too.
I took a comparison pic with a 28mm orc, a 32mm human and a 1/72 human. The stall doesn't look out of place with them (at least for me Smiley )

Also here is a pic of the animal trough with my creatures. They seem to reach it easily.

And that's it for a while Smiley I'll try to be online when I can, but I won't be able to continue this until I get back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:16:07 pm by Kadmon » Logged
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »

Great job!  you knocked that off in record time.

I actually like size of them especially as they are intended for different scale miniatures. even in Twilight I think that can work out ok as the Devanu and Casanii are somewhat tall so I don't think they'll look out of place. and the assortment of trade goods is what really makes it work for me.... lots of small bits that can be arranged any number of ways or for special scenarios, thrown at attacking Devanu   Grin   Grin
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 06:56:33 pm »

Getting better and better! I have to agree with GrimSnik about the scale. It doesn't bother me and I think it looks great.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 11:54:46 am »

I love the innovation shown with these! The plaster goods is a very clever solution and gives the feel of lots of different things on the stalls. I really want to make a market now...
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »

While I was away (and I still need to finish things before I can continue the market) other members of our gaming community started their own Twilight terrain pieces.

Nomad started to make Anyaral relics. He found this picture inspiring:

So he'll base some of the scenery on these carved rocks. Also, he'd like to include things like this:

As a base for the giant heads he took some of these from my collection. I think these could be some gods or ancient heroes.

Are there pictures of the Devanu gods somewhere? As another player started a Devanu tower it would fit that nicely.

Comoran wanted to do a Prin-Gull tower but after reading about Devanu towers she changed her mind. The only picture she found was this:

The world info tells about towers that serve as houses, so that sketch was just a base, but she tries to come up with some similar design.

The base of the tower has round holes for the slaves to enter - this could be reason why they use round doors on their houses later.

The youngest member of our group started to make a village.

Their idea was to create an abandoned Devanu tower in the wastes with some ancient relics around it, and their is a village among the ruins.
I don't know how my market will fit into this, but maybe it should remain a separate project.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:07:17 pm by Kadmon » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »

Ooh, interesting developments!
Faces - those flat faces would be very alien to the Fubarnii and the Devanu, so they might need some work to fit. I've never really thought about the Devanu gods, although I have imagined them to be more likely to worship spirits and powers rather than specific gods - consuming powerful enemies to gain their strengths etc.
Those images of towers take me back many years! the Devanu towers of old would have been very different (but also very varied). I've attached the sketch from the Chronicles of Anyaral that might give some inspiration.
The alternative approach looks fun though, so it'll be good to see how it develops!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:21:22 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 07:31:54 pm »

I suppose the towers of old were very close to actual buildings at the peak of their power, given the fact they were build by the Fubarnii. The Fubarnii craftsmen must have been learning a lot by building these towers. A bit like the Egyptians of earth.

Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 01:49:27 am »

Now that I'm at home I've finally finished the buildings I've already started some weeks ago. I've sent the kid and wife to her mother so I could work on this project Smiley
Here are the pics of the market as it stands now.
I got a ton of stuff from Michael that I didn't even prime yet, so I'll have more things to do Smiley Also the buildings need lots of shelves (that I'm afraid nobody will see, because they are hard to see from a gamer's point of view).
The first buildings had two rooms, but they were so small I changed it to just one. I always try to think how the scenery will be used during games, and it's still hard to move a miniature into the building itself. Also, there needs to be at least a 4 inch road between the two rows otherwise you won't be able to fit your hand in, and even at 4 inch I still knock over the scenery pieces. Maybe SA gluing them to the buildings might help this.
Also, if I had a base for the buildings with the props glued to that, the building itself could be taken away if minis enter... I'll work it out later Smiley
One thing I've learnt while making the first buildings was that plaster doesn't stick to cardboard boxes. So I've primed them now before plastering and I've also mixed more glue into the plaster.
One of the new buildings is a bar for the weary travellers. The serving table at the window can be folded back, closing the window. I've also made a door that will be able to close.
The round tables are caps of coke bottles with a piece of paper glued on as a tablecloth to conceal their origin.
I wanted to print some rugs, tableclothes and curtains to use, but I still didn't have the time, so it's just some freehand doodles on those papers.
So then, I think I have enough buildings for now. I'll have to start working on the detalls Smiley
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 08:13:28 am »

Very atmospheric, I can see lots of fun games being played around this market Cheesy
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 03:19:40 pm »

you did some great work there.  Cheesy  a really nice theme that stands as a center piece for a specific scenario, or one corner of a larger town if you decide to expand.   Grin   Grin  it looks like a lot of fun to use.

Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 10:55:05 am »

GrimSnik: " it looks like a lot of fun to use." I hope it will be, but I still need to figure it out the most efficient way to use it in games. In the last post I've mentioned a 4 inch path between the houses, but it seems that it should be more like 8 inch. Also, having the props SA glued of blutac-ed on the board is also recommended. Having them on bases might also help, I'll try that too.
Now some progress report. I've painted the characters and the props that was donated by Mike for the project, still need to finish the critters. The minis were a bit rushed but they don't look that bad in real life as on the photo Smiley
The sculpts of the minis and the props are amazing, I loved to paint them, I feel I didn't do them justice, but time clock is ticking and I still need to arrange the whole market into a contest entry...
I've made a rack for the spears. It's lucky I've made a ton more shelves in the first run so I could just take some to modify. The spears are held by the SA glue on the shelves, so they heavily varnished, so the paint won't come off. The racks themselves will be attached to the walls or ground with the SA glue on them.
I tend to call the self-adhesive glue "liquid magnet" and I use it as often as I can. Btw the red minis limbs are held by SA glue so I can exchange them for ones that hold tools if I want to.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 11:17:36 am »

I love the bright colours on the weapons - something I might have to borrow for the Casanii...
You and your friends have done a great job with all your projects  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: