The World Of Twilight
April 20, 2024, 12:45:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenery Comp - A Treehouse for Gil  (Read 18894 times)
Pippa
Apprentice

« on: August 07, 2015, 01:59:17 pm »

First thing I'll say is that I'm no good at concept sketches so you will have to use your imaginations until it's finished.
So my idea was to make a home for everyone's favourite Travelling Biologist, Gil Masharl. (Even Travellers need somewhere to go back to) Treehouse was the idea that then stuck, after all, surely he'd be as close to nature as possible?
Anyone who has been to Disneyland Paris will recognise inspiration from a certain treehouse there!
The idea is a very open series of platforms with tent like roofs. Somewhere for rest and somewhere for studying those samples he's been collecting and of course lots of critters and creatures about.
It's still in fairly early stages but I shall endeavor to post pics along the way. Constructive critisism welcome, it's the first time I've done anything like this  Grin
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:02:31 pm »

I started on the tree with a cone of firm card, stuck to mdf base, then covered with air-drying clay. The thinner branches will be made from good old plastic model train scenery bits but I wanted a good sturdy looking trunk to support the platforms.
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »

Next we have the start of the tree house platforms. Combo matchsticks, lolly sticks and balsa!
Large platform will be living quarters/study
Small platform is bedroom.
Rope ladder to get into the house so that it can be pulled up for added security against any nearby Devanu!
I needed to get these made before I went any further with the tree so that I could fit it around them
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:11:56 pm »

And last up for today, this horrible gooey mess is fine silk that has been soaked in watered down pva and is now drying. This will be the canopy roofs of the main rooms. Hope to get more done over the weekend.
Please excuse the horrible pics, taken on a phone!
Caliginosity
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

Looking good so far.  Interested to see it when it is finished.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »

That tree looks massive! Cheesy

Cool idea, will be interesting to see the tree and platforms come together.

Perhaps throw a mini in the pic next time to give a sense of scale. Smiley
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:49:33 pm »

I like the inventiveness!
Pm me your address if you would like and I'll send you some more critters to scatter around the place  Smiley
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »

This is a great start.
Another vote to post the tree with a Fubarnii next to it, just to see the size of the tree.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Caliginosity
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »

Yet another vote to see the scale of this tree.  Smiley

Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:31:17 am »

This was the tree yesterday, hit a snag when it needed some first aid (I dropped it!) hence all the pva still drying on it.
I forgot to put a model in for scale but will try and remember for next update. Base is slightly smaller than A4 to give you an idea, it's big!
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »

Wow! That is one mutha of a tree Cheesy
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »

That's an impressive centrepiece!
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:34 am »

for having to do some repairs it's still coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.   Smiley
Caliginosity
Jenta

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 07:14:08 am »

That will really stand out on a games table, and will be the focus point for sure.  Smiley

Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 01:12:22 pm »

The tree has some leaves! It's a bit shiny still so I'm going to spray with matt varnish. Gil is in one of the pics for scale.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: