The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 07:23:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GrimSnik's rocks  (Read 7507 times)
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« on: August 24, 2015, 12:05:08 am »

well, I didn't get to my tents alas, but I did for the most part finish my scatter terrain. the only thing I would have liked to have done further with these is put some offerings at the base of the Standing Stones.  one shot of the collected pieces, and a few shots for scale.

Letchaï
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:10:26 am »

Look really good, and they can be used in many other games, well done !

Fans français de WoT: si vous voulez une version traduite des règles, envoyez-moi un MP Wink
My FB page (twilight and many else): https://www.facebook.com/Les12TravauxDesFigs
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:39:39 am »

These look great. Smiley

I can't remember, what did you use to add texture to the foam?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:04:20 am »

That's a great set of scatter terrain - they look very useful for games! Will you play that models can move over them, or will they block movement?
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

Really nice rocks!
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »

They sure give your table a rugged mountainous look.
You can't have enough like these as you can easily put some of them on top of each other as well.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 05:24:26 am »

These look great. Smiley

I can't remember, what did you use to add texture to the foam?

the foam itself was just cut using a hobby knife. I used spackling compound on the bases to seal the foam to the cardboard to give the pieces more weight and a little more adhesive than just the glue. the compound goes on very thick though which can be formed into patterns..... then sand is glued on and painted over.

That's a great set of scatter terrain - they look very useful for games! Will you play that models can move over them, or will they block movement?

they will do a little bit of both..... generally I play this type of terrain that a model can either climb over it, or stand on it if able to balance on the piece. the standing stones themselves would be impassable, but models can pass through or stand on the bases. usually I like to play casual and see what works with the game..... Devanu would have no trouble with this terrain, while Fubarnii would need to work a little on the pieces larger than themselves. we would set conditions before the game begins
mostly depending on the scenario.

They sure give your table a rugged mountainous look.
You can't have enough like these as you can easily put some of them on top of each other as well.

they're not terribly exciting to build, and always take longer than expected, but they go a long way to filling out the table by just throwing a piece or two here and there to give the world some flavor.   Wink

Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:34:31 am »

Great scatter terrain and useful for so many environments (and games).

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:44:13 pm »

I used spackling compound on the bases to seal the foam to the cardboard to give the pieces more weight and a little more adhesive than just the glue. the compound goes on very thick though which can be formed into patterns..... then sand is glued on and painted over.

Spackling...is that a filler?
Kadmon
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:36:41 pm »

Cool stuff Smiley
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 04:14:38 pm »

spackling compound is a construction material that is used in finishing drywall/sheetrock.  it takes about 24 hours to dry and is very easy to use and clean up..... though it can be a little messy if you forget to have a small plastic knife on hand to apply it and end up having to use a large spatula.   Grin   Grin

but the nice quality of it is that any excess material that dries on your terrain can either be snapped off, cut off, or sanded off..... though if sanding, make sure to have plenty of ventilation and don't inhale the dust.... kinda like sanding rersin.

here's a link to a generic brand from the local hardware store:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/spackling-paste-c50/?referringCategory=tools-supplies/patching-repair/spackling-patching-compounds/&N=717101318
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:37:56 pm »

Thanks Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: