The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 01:18:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engu Culture  (Read 6024 times)
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: September 14, 2015, 09:56:45 pm »

I've been thinking about the Engu recently and I came up with a few queries...

1. How do they deal with loss through drowning? Do the victims of drowning become lost souls? Do they have another god, a darker aspect? Are the drowned victims seen as payment for all the fish the Engu eat?

2. I assume that they hunt and forage in the warmer times of the year then store it up for the colder period. Do they grow foods under ground? Are they snowed into their burrows? If so I assume they have some of the largest underground complexes in Anyaral.

3. Are boats made all year round or in the dark half of the year ready for the summer? I assume that if boat builders are their engineers then they have some sort of long house to build them in.

4. Boat builders, I imagine they are both feared and respected; they build the boats that allow access to the sea and its bounty but they also bring danger.

5. The Droba, are they themselves worshipped by the Engu? I imagine they are seen as the corner stone of Engu culture. Perhaps they have little shrines to them in their settlements? Maybe they worship or show respect to a mythical Great Droba? Perhaps the Great Droba eats the drowned Engu, increasing its spirit and so renewing fish stocks?

I may well think of more but thats enough for now. Smiley
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »

Ooh, good questions from the original creator of the Engu!
I'm having a think and I might discuss some ideas offline, but it would be great to hear any thoughts anybody else has  Smiley
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:56:24 pm »

I think I see the Engu as quite a pragmatic people; they are hardy and no nonsense so I can see them attributing any deaths by drowning as the fish / droba claiming theirs in payment for those that have been taken. It reminds me a bit of the Native Americans. I can see their relationship with the sea being much the same, they both fear and respect the water recognising it as both a giver and taker. Perhaps the fish / droba are seen as the embodiment of the ocean.

I think Skara Brae could be a good inspiration for an Engu settlement, I bet the air could get a bit ripe by winters end.
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:45:15 pm »

I like the Engu. One of my favourite forces. They are in desperate need of some characters to give them variety - is a boat builder likely to be sculpted?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »

I like the Engu. One of my favourite forces. They are in desperate need of some characters to give them variety - is a boat builder likely to be sculpted?
There is always a vast list of things I want to sculpt, which includes the boat builder!
There is generally a core plan that I'm working on (currently getting the Casanii fleshed out), but I'm doing a few sideline projects at the same time. The subject of those depends what I get distracted by... Sounds like you and Crian are going to pester me to visit the Engu, which greatly increases their chance of getting something new!  Smiley
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 12:52:42 pm »

Cool, I'd love a boat builder

...I haven't even mentioned a snow beast yet either...what snow beast asks Mike? The one starting to tick away in your head (eeevil laughter)
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 09:39:33 am »

I have just finished painting my first batch of Engu (3 Draals & a Kopa - should be putting pics up later) and I was looking at my Yirnak minis and was wondering how the Engu transport Droba meat.

Do they just lash slabs of meat to the back of their beasts or do they salt / preserve them and barrel them up for transport?

Just wondering as I fancy sculpting some goods on the big fuzzy beasties Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: