The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 01:10:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atalan Dawnseer  (Read 6318 times)
Evapilotone
Jenta

« on: March 17, 2016, 11:16:46 pm »

So this is the first thing I thought of when the contest was announced. I went straight into Witch Doctor/Raffiki from Lion King. Obviously I think "Witch Doctor" is a bit OTT, so I used the inspiration for a Sooth Sayer / Teller of Tales type "Old Man" of the tribe.

Tried to convey age in the picture, but it's been a while since I sketched anything! I hope you like him!

Atalan Dawnseer:

"Atalan was given his title "Dawnseer" not only for his impressive age and wisdom, but also for his uncanny knack of foretelling what is yet to come.

Draped in a majestically coloured Birdlion pelt and using his staff adorned with trinkets, topped with a great Hadera skull, old Atalan will often entertain the young and skilled alike with tales of grandeur and danger.

One of his biggest distinguishing features is that he's missing his left eye. An intrusive scar running down the side of his face tells a tale that Atalan refuses to tell himself.

Atalan abhors violence. He sees the Devanu as mistrusted and hated only because they are misunderstood on a deep, ancient level. He believes the Devanu strike because they have to. This idea is one that is not understood by many in many tribes and cities in the Fubarnii territories. As such, he's unfortunately seen as a crazy old fellow, though there are many who don't so easily brush Atalans' opinions to one side with his well earned title."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:41:51 pm by Evapilotone » Logged
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:04:35 am »

Damn, that's exactly the first idea/concept that came in my mind too, ... Smiley
Cool entry!

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Evapilotone
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:15:58 am »

Hmmmm, the picture isn't working! I'll fix that ASAP!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:45:35 am »

A passificist elder casanii? Intriguing! Looking forward to seeing your picture  Smiley
Crucium Giger
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:57 pm »

Great idea, just realised we've both gone down the scar route... well nothing like a scar to add some character eh Wink

cruciumgiger.blogspot.com
GrimSnik
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 12:54:13 pm »

cool idea. nice write-up on the character.  Smiley  conjures a vivid image.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »

Sounds good though as a pacifist he might not make much of an appearance in a battle...
Evapilotone
Jenta

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:34 pm »

Now with added sketch!

Sounds good though as a pacifist he might not make much of an appearance in a battle...

I was hoping the scar would indicate he wasn't always a pacisfist. I also love the numerous civilian, worker and trader models Mike has worked into the game, so I didn't see it as being as issue despite thinking the same at first. I prefer him this way personally as it suits the story I had in mind.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:42:08 pm by Evapilotone » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 10:39:43 am »

Good to see the sketch!
And don't worry, I've never let game limitations get in the way of a cool idea I've wanted to sculpt  Grin
Taelan
Senior Apprentice

Frugin Flinger

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 02:16:41 am »

Could always be a scenario in which the local warriors protect the respected seer as he visits "places of power" - a spin on the 'protect the caravan' theme. Smiley

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »

So I've gone from reading an entry where an Onsegar is ridden, to one where it's pelt is worn by an elder. What I like about this is that people are generally clearly linking the Onsegar with the casanii. They have instantly become a beast of great reverence among them which is very fitting.

I like this character as I feel the model itself could be telling a story. Mike's very good at including details in a piece, especially non-combatants, that add to their background. The headdress & prayer stones (I don't know what they really are...) clearly link Loranti to the casanii without need for explanation in text, and I feel the same could be done with this - a model which tells it's own story. Brilliant!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:52:14 pm »

Looking over on the kickstarter it looks like I'm going to be sculpting a shaman for the Casanii! Your view of Atalan is close to how I imagine he will look! I hope you don't mind if I end up steeling a few of your concepts  Wink
Evapilotone
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:14:01 am »

Looking over on the kickstarter it looks like I'm going to be sculpting a shaman for the Casanii! Your view of Atalan is close to how I imagine he will look! I hope you don't mind if I end up steeling a few of your concepts  Wink

Not at all, Mike. In fact I'm quite flattered. Looking forward to what you come up with!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: