The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 10:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Clan Idea  (Read 13468 times)
M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »

Hey all, didn't know whether to put this in the Clans of the Empire page, so i thought id drop it here, but if it's in the wrong place, i dont mind it being moved!

I've been pondering recently about ideas or armour for my clan and I tend to always go for quite bright colours in my painting. So i was thinking about maybe having a clan or city that is set up on the banks of a river.  They could then use the seashells that are plentiful on the banks of this river to grind up to make into dyes, the same way that purple dye was originally made.

They could perhaps be a trading city set up that produces high quality dye, that traders come to buy the dye, and sell things that are not as plentiful in the region of the city.  Could also be a source of food, fishing from the rivers?

What do you guys think? Mainly trying to come up with a justification of using purple paint on my Fubarnii armour!  Grin
Belegar
Jenta

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:11 pm »

I say do it, love the fluff! Smiley
Go for it and get some pictures onto the forum!

I get up and nothing gets me down!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:34 am »

Sounds like a good idea! They could be from along the teralin coasts (if you want them somewhere warm), or around the Great Lakes (cool marshlands, but home of many trading families).
It may just be that this is one powerful family from an existing clan - possibly the moerasi or terali.
Have you seen toughskull's nobleguard?
M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:45 am »

I like the idea of them hailing from the Teralin Wastes, thats the sort of buildings i imagine them living in, with plenty of tunnels underground.

Yeah, being a Trader family, or perhaps a family of manufacturers (i can't think of the real word), so the traders come to them.  They started off small, but now have enough sway within the society they can house their own garrison?  After all, those Nobles need somewhere to get the vivid dyes from for their clothes!

No, i haven't seen the Nobleguard, i shall look those up!
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 01:50:08 pm »

Sounds like a good idea for a theme. Shells and fish would make for nice decorations - in fact, one of the shields has a fish on it, does it not?

My noble guard can be seen here: http://www.worldoftwilight.com/forum/index.php?topic=2044.0

I've got the standard bearer and an Alideku painted before salute too, but not in front of the camera yet.

M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I've been thinking about some things that would relate to my craftsmanship city idea.

What is cloth made from? Is it a form of flax, like our old clothes used to be made from?

What sort of animals are there in the oceans off the teral coast? Are there squid - type creatures, that produce an ink? How big are the fish in that area?

I know it's a couple of weird questions, but all of them are so I could get an idea of likely sources of dyes of varying colours.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:13:16 pm »

Always good to get random questions!
Fabrics - I'm not too sure, but I've always imagine it varies across the Empire. Loranti would wear very fine silk-like fabrics while the Engu would use wool equivalents. Feel free to suggest ideas for the central empire - flax like substances would make sense!
As for ink creating sea creatures? I'm sure we can discover something suitable.
There are certainly garkrid (beetles) that are farmed for resins and probably dyes.
M4ttyMatt
Jenta

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:13:09 pm »

Yeah, a flax-type equivalent would be good, can be grown on the plains around the city, and dyed using the family's high-quality dyes.

Is there place that traders all meet up, like a giant bazaar? Thought it might be an idea to have a place for trading caravans to meet, in order to get a wide variety of good to buy and sell to other small cities that they travel to.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 11:02:24 pm »

Definitely. Or rather, there are lots of big gatherings across the empire, rather than a single massive event. The trade families are the lifeblood of the empire, with countless traditions that govern routes and times when they gather together.
Gantoris
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 04:53:23 pm »

Pirates! Srsly, if some sort of naval trading exists then gonna be criminal pirate gangs and such so why not have lil fubanari black beard and his huge pirate clan runnin about causing trouble. Or maybe something akin to the Iron Islands in game of thrones?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 11:34:25 am »

Pirates? Quite possibly! Fubarnii generally fear water (they sink... plus they believe that a death in the water stops them having any chance of getting to Enar after they die), but there are those willing to brave the waters (like the Engu).
Following the Delgon invasion of the Engu lands, there are plenty of Engu who have lost their homelands.
On the mainland, bandits are relatively rare - the Devanu act as effective deterrent to those who wish to live outside the protection of the towns and cities. Closer to the central Empire bandits are more common as the Devanu are better policed. The same is probably true of the seas, but I've never really investigated what beasts there may be out there.

In summary... pirates/ironborn would be fun to investigate at some point  Smiley
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

In summary... pirates/ironborn would be fun to investigate at some point  Smiley

Sooo, we're back on AGoT comparisons? Wink

Excellent. *try not to spoil*...

When do we get dragons? Cheesy
Gantoris
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »

To my mind the difficulty of being some sort of bandit king on the mainland (Cause of Devanu nom nomming anyone not in a town) would only make it more likely that you would get some serious banditry at sea, just need a group of off shore Caribbeany islands to be a base and some practical non superstitious lil lizard dudes and you got yourself a Pirate king in the making! Black Tail? 
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 03:20:18 pm »

Depends if there is anything nastier in the waters... Smiley
I think there are big floating living islands that carry entire ecosystems above and below the water. Not sure what else.
I like the idea of exploring the coastlines a bit further!
Gantoris
Jenta

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »

Could always at some point down the line have a mysterious threat to everyone appear on the horizon, some new race of conquerors from a far away land.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: