The World Of Twilight
April 16, 2024, 04:55:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Throwing spear question and first battle "report" (and second......)  (Read 8174 times)
Belegar
Jenta

« on: May 07, 2016, 07:23:35 am »

Yesterday I played my first game! Cheesy

First I got my mate through the rules and background of Anyaral and then we start playing.
The Empire against the Casanii.
We didn't play a scenario, the Casanii were surprised attacked at their camp site by a rouge group of Furbanii....... Grin

Here some pics (sorry for the not yet painted models.....)

The Casanii came back from hunting and found the Empire in their camp!

The scouts were the first to spot the Furbanii.

The final clash between the huts.

The Casanii won the day and destroyed all Furbanii.

The rules were clear to us, but we came up with one situation:
When a Casanii warrior gets out of combat with the moving cautiously rule, can he throw is spear at his attacker?

It was a fun evening and my friend liked the game also!
Up for more to come.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:13:15 am by Belegar » Logged

I get up and nothing gets me down!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:09:55 am »

Excellent! Good to see photos of your game as well  Smiley
Glad to hear the Casanii are holding their own so far!
As for your question: no, you can't use a ranged action if the model is engaged at the start of its activation.
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:59:22 am »

As for your question: no, you can't use a ranged action if the model is engaged at the start of its activation.

Okay, that brings me back to my question a while ago. I could then use the transport ability to grab a guy, which gets activated later and then shoot? Cheesy
Belegar
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:51:49 am »

Thanks, it would make them very strong otherwise. Grin

TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »

Okay, that brings me back to my question a while ago. I could then use the transport ability to grab a guy, which gets activated later and then shoot? Cheesy

As I understand it, yes, that is correct. And yes, ouch!  Grin

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »

I need more Erilaii Wink
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:08:45 pm »

I need more Erilaii Wink

It's all part of the sales ploy  Wink
In all seriousness, this is an area that I'm really interested to hear what people think about! That situation is exactly how I feel they should play, with the erillai making the Casanii incredibly manoeuvrable. Then again you are forced to waste their hitting power to get that benefit. I need to play a lot more games to really get a feel for whether the mechanic is working, but feedback is also incredibly useful.
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »

I need more Erilaii Wink

It's all part of the sales ploy  Wink
In all seriousness, this is an area that I'm really interested to hear what people think about! That situation is exactly how I feel they should play, with the erillai making the Casanii incredibly manoeuvrable. Then again you are forced to waste their hitting power to get that benefit. I need to play a lot more games to really get a feel for whether the mechanic is working, but feedback is also incredibly useful.

Quoteception Wink

Well, they might loose their hitting power, but sometimes you need to get your mate out of the range of a walking god or something similar. I already described my experience to you, but I'll keep testing. Smiley
Belegar
Jenta

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 08:36:45 am »

Yesterday I had a great evening playing my second and third skirmish.... Wink
With another of my mates and he liked the game also very much and showed much interest in the Delgon.......that was not a surprise for me because he plays Dark Elves at Warhammer half his life....... Wink

In Twilight Traveller #3 I found the scenario: KalGush.
We modified the scenario to Casanii instead of Delgon.
The trader was now a Casanii runaway who found refuged at the Furbarnii.
The Casannii had to kill the runaway and the Furbarnii had to keep him alive.

Here the set up of our first game:

I do not have more pictures, I forgot to take them because we were so into the game...... Grin

First game I played the Casanii and one of my Scouts shot the runaway in the end of the battle.
Second game I played Furbarnii and couldn't save the runaway......he was hit by throwing spears..... Cry

Here I come back to the throwing spears.
We found them very strong when you use them in a Casanii warrior unit.
When you activate your Warrior chief and his unit and then throw 5 spears to one target you have to be very lucky to survive!
Because the spear attack has two combat stones and the defender also has two stones, the attack of a whole unit is very powerfull and you will not survive.
If the Casanii player is lucky enhough to have his activasion stones drawn three times at eachother the unit can pick off one target at the time.......very powerfull!

Why not give a throwing spear attack one combat stone and the defender two combat stones?
Then the Casanii player can not only rely on the throwing spear but have to attack also.
Just a thought.

Again I had great fun playing the game, too bad my miniatures are not all painted yet, have to work a little harder........ Cheesy

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 01:45:24 pm »

Very interesting!
Just to confirm that you are only allowing each model to activate once per turn?

Ranged attacks in twilight seem to divide people - some find them too powerful and others too weak!
Did you remember to allow defenders to recast using combat trained?

Glad you had fun playing  Smiley
The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »

Very interesting!
Just to confirm that you are only allowing each model to activate once per turn?

Ranged attacks in twilight seem to divide people - some find them too powerful and others too weak!

*writing down notes: combat trained works in ranged attacks...*

Wink
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 06:27:54 pm »

Very interesting!

*writing down notes: combat trained works in ranged attacks...*

Wink

All combat abilities may be used by the defender in a ranged attack. And Worst case scenario remember that you can always spend a stamina to recast a stone  Smiley

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:25 am »

Yeah, I'm aware of the stamina part, but for some reason I always thought of combat abilities as close combat stuff. That might be a "translation" thing, but anyway, that's why we are here on the forum Wink And for your minis Cheesy

Belegar
Jenta

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 10:27:02 am »

Haha, this is were it goes wrong with us!!!
With every activasion stone we moved the same unit, now I know why these guys were so powerfull Grin

Then I have antoher question:
How do you guys keep track on which miniatures you already activated in the turn?

The Slann
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:00 am »

Haha, this is were it goes wrong with us!!!
With every activasion stone we moved the same unit, now I know why these guys were so powerfull Grin

Then I have antoher question:
How do you guys keep track on which miniatures you already activated in the turn?

Depends on the scale of the game, but there are plenty of markers out in the wild to mark this Wink . But in smaller games we usually just remember which minis have moved already, which is also fine as you normally move 6-10 minis at once.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: