The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 04:03:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiplayer games  (Read 6493 times)
Pippa
Apprentice

« on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:18 am »

So my local club puts on a big participation game each week, the idea being than anyone can just turn up and play something.
I've been thinking about volunteering to run one some time and was thinking about Twilight as it's a bit different to anything else out there.
The trouble is you never know whether you are going to end up with two people or ten playing.
So what do you guys think? Would it be possible to design a scenario that would work with different numbers of people and still give them a good flavour of the game?
Time limit would be about 2 hours, so I don't want to do something that would be over in 10 minutes.
Mike and Paul, I figure you must have ideas from running games at shows!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:16:09 pm »

That sounds doable!
Will you be providing all the models? Depending what forces you have I could come up with a few different ideas - either a big game with a few players on each side (for example a big attack on an Empire Caravan) or something more every-player-for-themselves (scaling up the bug-hunt style scenario).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:18:34 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

Me and Ash will be providing all the models, no one else at our club has any (yet) so I see it as a way of getting them hooked!
Between us we do have a fair amount of stuff across all factions except frenu and dhogu now and we could always proxy if we had to. (and by that I clearly mean, use it as an excuse to buy new models!)
Gantoris
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:26 pm »

Some sort of allied forces where each person gets a small force but only 2/3 actual sides to fight on. Each teams players can take it in turns to activate when there team is drawn from the bag.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:32:57 am by Gantoris » Logged
JohnDSD2
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

I've never played the game so I might be speaking out of turn but...
What you could do is have yourself and the other experienced player leading an Empire caravan and each of the newbies attacking with a Devanu pack.
That way you could vary the size of the caravan to suit the number of players and moderate the caravan responses so that all the players get a good game. Plus if the individual Devanu packs decide to fight among themselves its not a problem, though there main goal should be the caravan. (This assumes you have enough Devanu to go around! Though you could adjust to add other factions if needs be, perhaps there are Delgon raiders too)

Hope that helps
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:05 am »

Yup, I think John is thinking along the same sort of line as me. Focus on empire vs devanu as they are the easiest forces to start with. I'm sure you must have a decent sized caravan to act as a centrepiece? Apply a victory point value for each beast and civilian then come up with a few devanu forces of around 250pts.
You can always use Casanii as reinforcements if you want an excuse to get them on the table!
Would you have enough empire and devanu to make that sort of scenario work? Or are you keen to get the delgon involved as well?
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:30 am »

It's one of the core mechanics of the game, but one I tend to break instantly for games with lots of people and small forces - drop to four initiative stones per player. Otherwise you spend your life pulling stones and nothing happening as most 250 point forces can be activated in one or two stones.

As for scenarios - the above are great suggestions, but I'd also add that you can never, ever, go wrong with the bug hunt as an intro. It allows for all different forces to be used. Players can concentrate on the bugs, and /or fight it out amongst themselves which always results in fun rivalries and an "it's not over yet!" Mentality. All it does rely on is you having the required bugs?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »

Bug Hunt does seem to work remarkably well. If you went that route then you could always play as small teams if you have too many players - eg 4 teams of two, but with each team sharing stones. Maybe even adding a few larger bugs for variety...
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »

Lots of useful ideas here, thank you everyone. I like the caravan idea but it would have to be different forces attacking it as we don't have enough Devanu!
One limiter that did occur to me last night was we only have four colours of initiative stones so that will be what will limit us. Bug hunt may be the answer! Do you think bug hunt has enough depth for serious players?
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »

Of course I could just get some more  Grin How many colours did you make them in Mike? We have black, white, blue and purple!
TuffSkull
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 03:25:56 pm »

In the big game at salute, I resorted to using a sharpie to doodle circles, squares, asterisks etc on the back of one colour of stone to represent different players as we had too many involved even with all mikes supplies available  Shocked Grin

Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »

In the big game at salute, I resorted to using a sharpie to doodle circles, squares, asterisks etc on the back of one colour of stone to represent different players as we had too many involved even with all mikes supplies available  Shocked Grin
Draw on my precious resin stones? Sacrilege!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:18:59 pm »

I have a couple more colours (green and you could use orange if you wanted to recolour the combat ones (maybe some red ink on them?), but you might be better off improvising with something else to make it easier to scale up. Or paint some?
Bug hunt is fun and can be done as a relatively serious game. Possibly less cinematic than a big attack on a caravan or s pitched battle, but it gets everybody involved.
Have you got a potential date?
Pippa
Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »

I brought myself a bag of 42 MDF circular bases for a pound at Partizan show yesterday so I'm gonna use those for initiative instead of the stones. No date for the game, participation games are run at our club every week so it's whenever we get organised and put our name down to do one. My next step is getting some paint on the casanii to get them ready!
guppug
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 07:07:52 pm »

I have used marbles for multiplayer games.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: