The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 07:29:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonio's Scenery - Fubarnii balloon  (Read 29630 times)
Tonio
Apprentice

« on: April 23, 2018, 05:01:05 pm »

Hi, new member here, fan of the look of the game and minis for a while, but just jumped in with the contest running right now.

I got some minis in the mail for the painting side, but I want to do a terrain piece for the Freestyle category, so here I am. I'm going for a balloon attached to a two-story tower. I will probably be short on time, so I'm concentrating on the balloon only at first, and if the deadline is too close, I'll skip the tower and only attach to a tree.

Right now, it's mostly sketches and some tests for the balloon texture. (Relics mini as a placeholder.  Grin)

Cheers!

I have a blog entry that is more verbose, but contains the same pictures, here:
https://wp.me/p5LWkf-if
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:35:42 pm by Tonio » Logged
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:03:24 pm »

Really excited to see this one develop!
Neat use of the cheese cloth  Smiley
I’m wishing I had added a few more random scenic bits to your order now...
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »

I’m wishing I had added a few more random scenic bits to your order now...
Would have loved that. There is always next order; it's not like I got enough stuff in that first one. Always need more minis. Smiley
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:08:51 pm »

Test balloon painting successful; the glue holds well and it takes drybrushing no problem. Cut the 3 real balloons and covered them.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:10:30 pm »

Cool! I look forward to seeing the final piece.
If the sketches are any indication, the end result will be a real eyecatcher.

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »

That is working fantastically. I won't complain that the balloons are too consistently sized - you've obviously got a more organised engineer working on your balloon that the usual random ones I find  Grin

I must say that I love the texture you've done for them... When I eventually do a proper balloon I may have to try and borrow that technique.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48:12 pm »

I won't complain that the balloons are too consistently sized - you've obviously got a more organised engineer working on your balloon that the usual random ones I find  Grin

I didn't think about that at all. Now that you mention it, it would have been a good idea. Won't ready it, but I ever need another balloon vehicle, I'll keep that in mind!

Oh, and borrow away!

Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:51:16 am »

3 official balloons all painted. I also marked them with a small dowel to make grooves for the ropes.

I also started the boiler. The main part is about done; I'll just add pipes that go to the propeller once I have the basket walls figured.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 07:37:05 am »

Wow, marvelous work on the boiler!
You're obviously an experienced modeler.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:55:03 am by Kryptovidicus » Logged

Roleplaying games are a bit like a holiday. You visit new places and meet interesting people.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 03:48:21 pm »

Wow, marvelous work on the boiler!
You're obviously an experienced modeler.
Thanks! Smiley  I've been hobbying for some time, yes.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:12 am »

Redid the base of the basket smaller to fit the official minis I got yesterday.

I also roped the balloons. They will just be missing the straightened ropes that go to the basket. I migth drybrush them a but too.

Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:39:49 am »

Looks brilliant and the style fits the world perfectly.

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 07:17:13 pm »

Cool idea and lovely work so far.
Tonio
Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 04:49:23 am »

Fellow Twilighters (is there a name for fans of the game?), I ask for your help. I seem to have hit a wall with the basket of my balloon. The balloons themselves are made, I know how I will do the ropes to attach between the balloons and basket, how to do the boiler and propeller. That's all fine.

However, I can't figure out the look of the basket itself. The (fantastic) art pieces show the balloon from pretty far, and we never really see the basket in detail. There is one drawing, from the September challenge I think, that does show one, but it's a really intricate and fancy one, with a pretty different look.  Is there some closer view of some baskets out there?  Do you have a mental image of how you think they look that you can share? I'm all ears!
Kryptovidicus
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:51 pm »

There's a picture of one one inside of the rulebook cover which shows the basket clearly.
But then again, I suppose both a woven or bucket style basket make sense too.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: