The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 11:57:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Aged Engineer - Updated 6th April 2011  (Read 12309 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: February 05, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

Here's a little guy I've just been finishing off. All engineers are respected within the Empire, and there is a responsibility of those who are fortunate enough to live near an engineer to ensure he is well looked after. This isn't always an easy task as engineers make a habit of requiring awkward items or getting into trouble. Occasionally they prove to be useful, but that is probably more the exception than the rule!
I'm not sure this little old guy will be that much use on the battlefield, but he's a character I just really wanted to sculpt  Smiley

Hope you like him! He'll be going off to the casters this week and will be available around Salute (although I expect I'll have a few masters before then).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:42:10 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:42 pm »

Absolutely getting at least one. Cheesy

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »

Excellent, I'll probably end up using him as a Kopa for a trader clan.

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:23 am »

I cant fault the sculpting as usual mike, but i can't help thinking he doesn't look very 'engineery'. I think i might have expected and aged engineer to have something better than a bent stick he just lopped off a nearby tree as his lantern holder for example.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Scalifano
Spam-hunter
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:54:54 am »

Very nice looking.  I hope you sculpt an apprentice to go with him. 

It's funny, he could probably pass as a very aged trader.  Would love to see one painted to see the details better.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:51 am »

I cant fault the sculpting as usual mike, but i can't help thinking he doesn't look very 'engineery'. I think i might have expected and aged engineer to have something better than a bent stick he just lopped off a nearby tree as his lantern holder for example.
I guess the thing is that the Fubarnii "engineers" don't necessarily do what we'd think of as "engineering" by any means. This chap might be more devoted to astronomy, or spend his time studying unusual varieties of Enuk, or he might be a travelling historian, or anything along those lines.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:41:37 am »

Thanks for the kind comments - I'm glad you like him. Smiley

Jubal has already answered your query quite well - the title Engineer is a rough translation of the Fubarnii word Neridai. That title is probably better translated as 'clever, respected fubarnii' and covers a whole host of disciplines that would include engineering, but would also include many academic subjects. During an engineer's relatively long life (sometimes as long as 30 years if he takes good care of himself) an engineer may focus on (and become obsessed by) many different subjects. As Fubarnii get older they can often become a bit eccentric, and engineers are particularly noted for this trait.

I expect that stick he's carrying isn't just any stick he lopped off a nearby tree. I expect he lopped it off a tree many years ago, and it is now his good faithful stick that he wouldn't go anywhere without. You can't go too far wrong if you've got a good stick to lean on.

If you really don't like it, that hand is separate so it would be easy to add something different (any ideas?).

Nothing wrong with using him as a trader who hasn't had the sense to settle down and retire, or buy a suitably docile beast to save him walking everywhere.

One of the young jenta would make a good apprentice for him for the moment, but I do like sculpting the civilian type characters. Hopefully Ben might be able to paint up a master before salute, but that'll be a wee bit tight!
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:58:28 pm »

i thought of the term engineer to apply roughly as "artisan" - which is why i thought of something a little more neat, designed, ornate...

but hey, what do i know - its not my world... Smiley

as to the separate hand - I suggest a telescope?

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »

i thought of the term engineer to apply roughly as "artisan" - which is why i thought of something a little more neat, designed, ornate...

but hey, what do i know - its not my world... Smiley

as to the separate hand - I suggest a telescope?

Some engineers might go the more neat route, others wouldn't care and others would be deliberately contrary, possibly just to annoy their neater compatriots... Most engineers are at least a little bit eccentric.
A telescope might work. I would have to see if it fit with the pose of the model - maybe something to try when I get the master back.
Axel Chohimajin
Jenta

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:28 am »

This model is quality, pretty much makes me want to buy and theme a whole force just around protecting him. I agree too that he should totally have an apprentice(s).

Rules wise he could perhaps be an interesting avenue for unusual leadership type rules, for example inspiring others to defend him or characterful like he wanders about lost in thought. Maybe something along the lines of, if you move him then anything adjacent/ or within a relatively small command distance can be activated as long as it stays within said parameters or moves into base contact with an enemy. I guess thats if you wanted to make him more than an objective piece that is.

Also thinking about it you could modify the model slightly and he would serve as a pretty cool looking aged Delgon priest as well.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »

Glad you like him. He's at the casters now, so fingers crossed everything goes well!

Nice thoughts on the rule.
A simple activation ability might work with a short command range (he doesn't speak very loudly, but whoever he talks to would defer to what he says) - maybe activate up to four friendly models (of any type) within 1". For Danomar I am experimenting with an 'Inspire' special rule. All models directly activated by him gain 'Inspired' for their next combat which lets them reroll one combat stone. It might make sense for the old engineer to have the same.
Another thought would be to let him actually influence the initiative counters. It's something I've been considering for a more senior priest but it isn't something I've playtested yet.

You could try giving him the priest's staff as a minor conversion. I'm not sure a priest would tend to carry so much stuff around, but I'm sure the Delgon have plenty of eccentrics as well, and it could look cool  Smiley
Laughing Ferret
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:48:54 am »

Oh he is great. so much character.  absolutely love him.  he'll be great fun to paint.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »

Ben just sent me the painted pics through and I'm too excited not to share them  Grin
He will of course be at salute  Smiley

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 05:43:48 pm »

Very nice indeed, makes me look forward to painting one!

clam
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »

Yes please, one of those Cheesy

EDIT: Sorry, all the excitement made me forget .... 'fantastic paint job, Ben' Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:13:16 pm by clam » Logged

My painting-blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: