The World Of Twilight
April 18, 2024, 09:14:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How small of a table it too small for WoT?  (Read 2995 times)
TredHed
Jenta

« on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:12 pm »

I have recently acquired a small toy train table, the wooden train kind (sorta like this one), and thought...'Hey...this could make a neat Demo table for our local gaming cons'.
The inside play area is about 29 inches by 29 inches and stands about a 1 foot 6 inches or so off the floor. I figure sitting it on a low folding table would bring it to a decent height....if its too high I could always cut the legs down or make new ones that are shorter. Making a nice terrain board to fit inside, and such is a must.
Anyways...back to the point......
Is a 2ft x 2ft (or so) play area just too small?  Would the Devanu just everything alive in this compact of an area? I am looking at this as a Demo table and really thinking about demoing WoT at our fall Recruits Con. I really havent got to mess with WoT that much yet but want to figure it all out and have a firm grip on what I can do before August or so.
What are your thoughts, all?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »

That is a question I am honestly not certain about! I think it could work, but it'd be worth trying out to be sure.

The smallest we've played on was a 3.5' diameter circular table, and that is a fairly good size for most games, with some room to spare. I imagine you could play some games on a 2' by 2' table, but you would need to think carefully about the scenario as the table size would constrain things a lot. I am wondering if The Wandering Engineer could work well - start the engineer in one corner and put his home in the opposite one - that easily gives the 18" distance. Starting the Devanu in either or both of the remaining corners would make them almost 24" away - at least far enough that an assassination run on the first turn is unlikely. The devanu might struggle a bit with the lack of room to manoeuvre, but I don't think that would matter too much, especially as that scenario tends to favour them.

Let us know if you get a chance to try it out - I'll try to have a go myself, but my schedule is rather packed in the run-up to salute!
TredHed
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:07 am »

Thanks for the reply.

So I got home from work and ran to the game room to measure the table. Wink   Mind a whir.

So the table is 29 1/2 by 29 1/2.  The inside of the play area is 40 1/2 diagonally (or there abouts).

So, yeah, I think this bears testing....even if I have to do it solo. Will post info when I get a chance to try it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: