The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 06:34:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprint! overpowered?  (Read 5273 times)
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »

Well having played a couple of games against the Devanu I have the feeling that the sprint ability can be readily abused for movement shenanigans and I just wanted people's opinion on it?
First off I find that it is only OP in certain gametypes like kill the VIP as you can essentially use a Devanu Kopa 'missile' Move, sprint,sprint, assassinate. Its certainly not impossible to defend against but it is very difficult. what I wanted this thread discussion to involve was ways to combat this. how people feel about being able to potentially move 60" (ok thats really not going to happen but it is certainly possible).
Any discussion would be great as I want to get/ write down how people view this ability. and the consequence of being able to use it multiple times.

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

As is probably well know, I use Strider - a lot of them. They also have sprint, and I do find it handy. As I rarely play devanu my opinion should naturally be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think it's fince, especially to face a Devanu who uses it a lot. That's exactly what I want the Devanu to do - they lose stamina fast, only get 1 back a turn, and it allows me to mob and kill it knowing I'll face less combat trickery.

True, it's hard to defend against, but the scenarios easily have enough figures to defend against the initial sprint tactic with the typical hex defence. Any sprinting Devanu is going to have to chew through them unless they take it more cautiously with support, which leaves them open to counter attacking.

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »

How can anyone move 60"? 

The thing with Sprint is you get tired, and there is nothing easer to kil than a tired devanu (ok most things are easier, but you get the idea  Smiley ) Move 10", sprint 5", sprint 5", assasinate, and stamina for combat trained etc.  Sounds good, but then your dead.

As for defence, if you oponent is insiting on using thier expensive devanu as a missile, you only need 3 models to block a single devanu getting into base to base. They will most likely counter with charging Grishak to clear the movement lanes, so a second 'ring' of models provides a very good (if expensive) shield to your scenario critical character.

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »

I do agree that the hex defence is really the only way to avoid almost being OTK (in scenario play) by something that has Sprint and assassinate I think thats the real problem. Sprint by itself is fine but the combination with assassinate is deadly and really dictates how you defend against it.
My only gripe with the hex defence, though it is a sure fire defence against the 'missile' tactic, Leaves you only able to support with limited figures.
Im just curious as to how people would counter it? how would you counter the excessive movement? seeing as you play with a very mobile force whats your opinion?

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:34 pm »

Woops i did mis-read the sprint ability (thought it was full movement not 5") though you could still move 10, sprint,sprint,sprint,sprint, assassinate. so 30" not 60" my apologies.
You wont have to worry about low stamina if you fulfill the victory conditions by killing the objective. It will still be hard to kill a Kopa and if they do, the grishnak can still escape if not then next round its 15" escape for the kopa. Pretty hard to counter unless you surround it.
Btw this is in reference to the first scenario Tongue
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:07:38 pm by Megatron0 » Logged

Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:06:45 pm »

Well with Striders I generall hope that a full on combat trained defense and relatively good save will stall the Devanu. If not, then the Priest is backed up by Bodyguards who take the hits, and the Devanu is subsequently mashed in to a small paste by fuel-boosted killing machines.

With Empire, I generally hex defence and hope really, heh. I play much more with Delgon, so my approach with Empire usually goes along the line of 'Hmm, wish I had Striders right about now.'

'You wont have to worry about low stamina if you fulfill the victory conditions by killing the objective' - aside from the fact that for the Engineer scenario at least, if the Kopa doesn't escape, it's a draw, not a loss for the Empire player.

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:10:10 pm »

if the Kopa doesn't escape, it's a draw, not a loss for the Empire player.

Actually the conditions only state that the Devanu has to escape the table not the devanu that killed the engineer. so just keep a grishnak by the table edge and have it move off when the deed is done.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »

It depends a bit on the scenario - a simple scenario where the only victory condition is to kill a model with a devanu would generally be imbalanced and a bit too easy, but there is usually an extra victory condition like getting the devanu off the table alive. For 'The Wandering Engineer' it is very easy to kill the engineer, but the real challenge is killing the engineer and then escaping.

-- Just seen your last post. I always meant that the devanu kopa should escape, and we've always played it that way. I've looked at the wording and I see that it is a tad ambiguous...

I'll be interested to see what you make of the next few games, and whether you manage to work out a good defence!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: