The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 05:12:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First games in the World of Twilight (and scenario)  (Read 3315 times)
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« on: April 21, 2011, 03:01:16 pm »

Frog-of-Dhoom and I played our first Twilight games since Salute yesterday - one go at the Wandering Engineer (won convincingly by the Devanu), then two games of a made up scenario (the first a close win for the Devanu, the second a decisive win for the Empire). It was good fun - the World of Twilight manages to be a fresh setting without being clunky/artificial in its differences. It's a shame I won't be able to play again until July when I return from Easter term at uni!

Frog-of-Dhoom will no doubt appear with some pictures we took at some point. I apologise in advance for my largely unpainted miniatures... they will get some attention soon, I promise! In the mean time, the scenario we constructed should be attached to this post. It was mostly decided based on the board, scenery and models we had.

Are there any changes to the descriptions/names that ought to be made to fit in with Twilight canon? Any changes to the scenario itself that people would suggest? I think that having more knights which arrive later could be a good change. In the first game the knights appeared on turn 4, and the feel of the game was better in my opinion. However, with later entrances the Fubarnii may have a harder time of it without larger forces. The second game had the opposite - the knights came in early, and it turned into more of a stock fight.

The layout of the outpost/village itself probably makes a large difference, though. We had 'foundation' level buildings, i.e. with only the bottom bits of walls allowing models entrance to the buildings. Each building had only a single entrance, allowing effective blockades to bide time. If people played with more standard scenic buildings (closed off, so models couldn't enter), then an earlier entrance for the knights may be more appropriate.

Sorry for the rather lengthy post...

"All I’m saying is sometimes eating a walnut is preferable to getting hacked to death or set on fire during dinner."
- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »

When I started I had trouble winning the wandering engineer scenario (as the Faburnii) but just remember the Hex defence! I am still play-testing that scenario to try and get maximum winnage for the Faburnii.
Havnt made up my own yet but yours sounds fun Cheesy

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »

That's a great little scenario. Fits perfectly. Smiley

I could see the game being hugely influenced by when the knights turn up. Maybe make their arrival time less random so they always arrive on turn 4 (or 3)?

Certainly no need to apologise for the length of the post, and I'm looking forward to seeing those photos  Smiley
ContrapuntalAnt
Jenta

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:04:06 pm »

This was considered, but we couldn't decide whether 3 or 4 would be the appropriate turn... I personally lean towards 4 to keep the feel of the scenario, but this may require more knights to balance if it were turn 4 each time. No way of telling without play-testing really - anyone up for it? Smiley

"All I’m saying is sometimes eating a walnut is preferable to getting hacked to death or set on fire during dinner."
- Loralai, Gilmore Girls
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: