The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 12:25:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boardgame for the Fubarnii.  (Read 6842 times)
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« on: May 21, 2010, 11:44:09 am »

Can't remember if it's been mentioned in a post on FOD before, but I was thinking about boardgames that the fubarnii might play and came across one that fits (sort of). It's called tafl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games and was played extensively by vikings and north europeans for centuries.

My take on it would be slightly different for a fubarnii game - it would represent a group of fubarnii destroying a devanu tower. The "king piece" can't move and is protected by devanu (white) and is attacked by fubarnii (black). Still not 100% on how the game would progress, but I was thinking that if you got a white piece onto one of the corner squares, you could bring on another one. I was also thinking that for taking opposing pieces, black had to get a piece on opposite sides of a white, but white had to jump a black piece (like draughts or solitaire).

Might have possibilities.
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »

That sounds interesting.  I imagine the Fubarnii rather like logic based turn games of that type.  I know Mike drew a picture of fubarnii playing something, I forget what it was called, but I don't believe he ever went into how the game worked.  Feel free to elaborate.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:10:39 pm »

The game was githwilt and was played with little stones - blank on one side and a symbol on the other (sound familiar?). The stones were placed on a grid of some sort and you weren't allowed to turn them over. There was an air of betting on the results when certain stones were cast. A bit like Perudo in some respects, but not really. I doubt I'll be able to find the rules as that was a very long time ago... I might have a go at working it out again as it might actually be fun to play...

As for Tafl? I created a Hnefetafl (King's table) game for my CDT GCSE. I spent hours hand turning all the pieces... The basic idea was also used for the discworld boardgame 'Thudd' (I think). It does sound like a good idea, and I like the idea of Fubarnii playing board games  Smiley

I also like to imagine that the Fubarnii play their own versions of Twilight, making use of their githwilt turns and little carved characters. Is that a bit odd of me?
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »

Thud was based on Tafl, but the pieces had signifcantly different (and, annoyingly, never fully stated AFAIK) rules.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

Ah, Jubal - the rules were fully stated as they released a Thudd! boardgame. It was a bit like Tafl, but not sure how it differed. I was thinking that the boardgames sort of defined a culture - if you look back at most cultures, they have some sort of boardgame (even Klingons, lol!). I think it is EXACTLY the kind of thing that would appeal to fubarnii - higher status fubarnii playing ornate versions as an mental/strategy exercise, lower status playing and betting on them, children playing them with their friends.... Perhaps Mike could release a diorama set of a couple of fubarnii playing a game oneday!

I think if the corner squares and the centre square couldn't be entered by the fubarnii pieces, obviously the centre square would be occupied by the tower (king) piece, the corner squares can only be entered by the devanu pieces, if a devanu piece enters a corner square, when it leaves, another devanu piece can be placed there (bit like promotion in chess). Neither side may move diagonally (might change that). The basic strategy for both sides would be whether to concentrate on the centre, the corners or a mixture of both.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:52:09 pm »

Even nomad cultures in the sahara have boardgames I believe; board drawn in the sand, one side gets sticks as piecesand the other gets camel droppings.

I didn't know that Thud had been released as a boardgame, will have too look for that someday. It's a truly brilliant book.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:31:30 am »

I have the THUD game - but no-one will play it with me!

deceptively simple, more permutations than chess!

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:22 pm »

That's really interesting. Tafl style Games are look ideal because of the asymmetry; they reflect the fubarnii and the Devanu, and fit into the world as part game, part training tool, akin to chess. It would be brilliant to create a game like that.

I've liked the idea of Thud for ages, but never bought it. If you bring it to Salute next year, Brandlin, you'll get at least one game!  Wink
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:18 am »

Thud is asymmetric too... large powerful trolls, and numerous co-prdinated dwarfs...

you're on thegremlin.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: