The World Of Twilight
March 19, 2024, 07:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Poll
Question: Which are your favourite three scenarios?  (Voting closed: November 30, 2010, 05:27:11 pm)
Now Where did he leave it? - 6 (25%)
Crush the Clutch - 3 (12.5%)
The Scoundrel - 4 (16.7%)
Preacher's Welcome - 3 (12.5%)
Derak Days - 1 (4.2%)
Scouting Kill - 4 (16.7%)
Kill it with Fire! - 3 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenario Contest - The Winners!  (Read 11474 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: November 07, 2010, 05:27:11 pm »

I've been having a careful read through all the entries for the contest, but it is harder than expected to pick out my immediate favourites! There are some great ideas there, and I'm already struggling to chose! Quite a few of them need a bit of work to make them playable, but there are good ideas there to be going on with, so I thought I'd open things up to an initial vote to choose a small number to develop more fully.

I've selected my favourite seven scenarios that I am going to expand upon. I’ve missed out a lot of cool scenarios to pick these, so please don’t take offence! Those are certainly worth a look, and I may well revisit them myself when I have some more time. For each of the scenarios I've given a quick summary of the scenario, a link to the original entry and a couple of comments on it.

I've set the voting so you can choose your favourite three entries. The entry with the most votes by the end of the month will win the public vote, and in the mean time I'm going to work these together into a cohesive set of scenarios, as well as choosing my favourite.

Life in the Empire:
These first three scenarios expand upon life in the Empire and I like how they all fit very well into my view of the Empire  Smiley

Now, Where did he leave it?
An engineer leads a band of militia in search of some vitally important plans for an old invention, but must brave the local devanu.
I like the idea of an engineer trying to dig out some old, forgotten plans as it fits right into my view of how the engineers work.

Crush the Clutch
A force of knights and militia head out to eradicate a nest of grishak.
This is another scenario that fleshes out part of the world that seems kinda fun. The special rules for different types of grishak need quite a bit of work and you would need quite a lot of grishak models to be able to play a game! I was thinking it might be fun to add a couple of young Devanu into the game as it would seem quite likely that a local devanu pack might keep an eye on a future supply of hunting beasts.

The Scoundrel
This scenario tells the unfortunate tale of a small village that chose to cross the powerful trading guilds.
This will be a great little scenario to try out, unusually pitching the Empire against itself.

Escalation
A number of the scenarios sat quite nicely together, telling of the escalating conflicts between Delgon and the Empire. Punitive Measure and Death and Glory both fit quite nicely into my plans for a later campaign, and would need quite a lot of work to balance, so I’ve left them out of the shortlist for the moment.

Preacher’s Welcome
This scenario sits earlier in the timeline, with a priest meeting a rather unfriendly welcome in an Empire town. The locals aren’t too sure which side to back though.
This sort of scenario is definitely needed, with the Priests trying to convert villages to their cause before resorting to more violent means. Some work is needed on the ‘converting’ mechanics, but it’s a great start.

Derak Days
Beru tells a good tale of how his old apprentice (who's name he has happened to forget) gave away his derak designs to the fiendish Delgon, and how he fought them off almost single handed. This scenario reenacts that tale, however fallacious it might be!
This is a fun little scenario, in spite of the historical inaccuracies! A more accurate version of how the Delgon came to ‘invent’ the Derak can be gleaned from some of Beru’s letters. Beru’s story is also somewhat inaccurate as the Striders were created a while after the Derak became standard issue in the Delgon forces.

Other stories from the land of the Delgon
The last couple of scenarios look more broadly at the Delgon themselves.

Wrath of Khan'ta: Scouting Kill
As the Delgon expand their borders they are experiencing more conflicts with Devanu who have been pushed out of the central Empire. This scenario pitches a hungry band of Devanu against a Delgon encampment
This is the first of a little trilogy of scenarios. The other two look to escalate the battles well, but this one stood out as being a slightly different style of battle rather than a straight-out fight. I think the balance is slightly out at the moment on this scenario (not enough Delgon to defend against the Devanu), but I really like the idea of the Devanu gathering food and trying to flee with it. This could be a fun scenario to try and balance!

Kill it with Fire
A Delgon priest has to deal with the consequences of an experiment gone wrong.
The history behind this is completely wrong, but the scenario idea would work well for a Priest overseeing an experiment that goes disastrously wrong... The main challenge for balancing this scenario will be working out the stats on the escaping beast!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:55:53 pm by Carcharoth » Logged
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:06 pm »

Sorry I never got round to fixing my game mechanics, work's gotten on top of me rather of late.  Undecided

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:41:09 pm »

Don't worry about that! When judging your favourite entries I would say that the primary decider should be what scenarios sound like the most fun to play. Good ideas for making those scenarios play well makes a big difference though, so I'm going to be looking at what inspires me most when I'm making my decisions! Grin
I'll probably email you (and the otehr entrants) to help sort out some of the game mechanics as I write them up.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

Voting seems to have quietened down over the last week, so I'm going to run it for a few more days then close the voting after the weekend. There's no clear winner just yet, so now's the time to vote and/or comment!
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:47 am »

It certainly looks like it's pretty close overall. Best of luck to whoever comes out on top!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:47:29 pm »

Thanks to everybody who has voted so far. It looks like we've got a definite front runner now, but I'm going to leave the voting open until tomorrow night, at which point I will announce all the winners. Watch this space!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

So, voting is now closed and it is my pleasure to announce the winners!

First up, the public vote. TheGremlin came top of the pile with his 'Now, Where did he leave it?', a fun and whimsical little scenario pitching the Empire against the Devanu, with the engineer searching for some useful old plans to try and prevent his village from smelling too much like a slaimor latrine. Lips sealed
Thank you very much to everybody who read through them all and voted - I know how hard that was!

For my choice of favourite I was thoroughly torn, but I think that Jubal's 'The Preacher's Welcome' captures the conflict between the Delgon and the Empire on the outskirts of the Empire very nicely. I love the idea of the competing forces vying for the loyalty of the villagers through the course of the game. Not to mention it being an ideal excuse to use some of my Empire buildings  Smiley

Both TheGremlin and Jubal win a set of prerelease masters, and hopefully they'll take the opportunity to paint them  Smiley

A special mention (and a small bonus prize) goes to Geckilian who crafted a fun little campaign that I expect would play well in an evening, escalating as the Delgon and Devanu amassed larger forces. None of the scenarios on their own quite stood out as well as the winners, but as a whole they are certainly worthy of a mention!

Congratulations to everybody who entered, and I'm looking forward to putting these together neatly at some point in the future (not to mention playing a few more of them...).
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:03 am »

Well done Gremlin and Jubal and also well done to anyone who enetered, let alonf short listed

Smiley
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »

Well, that made a rubbish day considerably better. Well done to everyone else too!

I need to get Rakka college's militia all photographed really, they've been painted for a while but I haven't gotten round to it yet...

TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

Thanks guys. This is one of the great things about Twilight (the community development, not the free models Cheesy (though they are nice too...). Regardless of what made it into the publication there were many great ideas here.
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:36 am »

Grats to all the winners! It'll be good seeing the missions in a book at some point.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:02:20 pm »

Thanks guys. This is one of the great things about Twilight (the community development, not the free models Cheesy (though they are nice too...). Regardless of what made it into the publication there were many great ideas here.

Getting ideas from the rest of the community has always been one of the most exciting parts of working on Twilight since kicking everything off at Salute in 2009 (there are plenty of parts of the world that have been heavily influenced by ideas from the forum). It's always annoying that real life gets in the way of all the things I want to do with Twilight, but I'm going to make sure there is plenty of stuff sorted for the beginning of 2011, even if things look a little quiet at the moment! Smiley
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 03:45:08 pm »

Got my stuffs today, many thanks! Cheesy

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »

Got my stuffs today, many thanks! Cheesy

Glad to hear that. Now hurry up and get them painted  Wink
lightderakeer
Jenta

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »

derak days, obvss Cheesy
Pages: [1]