The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 11:55:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clan Engu of the Western Shores  (Read 27289 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 11:19:52 am »

For reference, 'Argor' is a compass direction. I'm trying to think which direction, but my memory is failing me... West would make sense, but I think I was awkward and it isn't as simple as that...

Does anyaral have a magnetic field? Does it spin along a vertex perpendicular to th direction to it's sun, Does it tilt? therefore does it have seasons? Soo many interesting questions just flow from the issue of how do you set compass directions on a planet other than earth?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:22:23 am by Brandlin » Logged

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 09:07:33 am »

Some extra information on the clan, particularly relating to its borders.
The Engu territory runs right up the coast, rather than cutting off where you've shown it - thus giving a long boundary with the Delgon, albeit mainly separated by the mountains. The cluster of islands to the north are all strictly speaking part of the Engu territories, but the large island to the west is not.
The North of the Engu territory is very inhospitable and largely unoccupied.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 09:27:48 am »

Thanks Mike.

Ahh with the territory I was going by the borders on Brandlin's map. So does their territory extend all the way up to the base of the very large mountain, just cut off by the edge of Brandlin's map?

Out of interest is the large isle to the west home to another clan? If so I take it a lot of trade goes on between them and the Engu, as well as the clans south of the forest, connected by the dashed trade routes on the map.

HN
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:17 am »

The Borders were copied from mikes sketches.
The trade routes on the other hand are mine, I wanted to show the most used routes but also to show that fubarnii sailors tend to hug the coast and avoid deep water.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

The map and borders are still slightly fluid as we don't have a completely final version of the map yet. I expect that alan and I will try to fix that over the next year.
Engu pretty much stretches sufficiently far north that the precise border is unclear. That mountain is probably as far north as anybody could hope to scrape a life.

The large isle hasn't been detailed yet, but I do think it is another clan (I'll have to check my notes), and certainly populous enough to have it's own identity. Trade seems very likely.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »

Right I have tweaked the entries to take into account the notes above. I have added a couple of little bits, in red. For the most part it was removing and stripping down detail on the western island, though I have kept some it in.

Mike I have left in the ideas for Gethal, the western island, as I think it works well (feel free to make changes). I had thought originally that something pretty rare would have to be there for the Fubarnii to risk the crossing and I don't think fish would cut it (the main reason for humans to live in far-away islands) especially as the Fubarnii are not big meat/fish eaters. I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere that metal was rare so it seemed like an obvious choice, this would also allow such a small outpost to grow well from trade. Plus this way I got to keep my myth about the Gerilon trees, though I change tweak that a bit as well. As I say though, feel free to make changes/get me to drop it.

Comments welcome as always! Cheesy

HN

P.S. Ooo just noticed the title under my name "Lord of Engu" that could go to a man's head! Wink
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:22:23 pm by Hairy Norseman » Logged
Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

Great stuff! and very clearly written Cheesy
I really like this clan and the whole theme fits perfectly.
Great stuff from the Lord of Engu

Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

Cheers Megatron! Your not doing so bad with the titles either Wink Cheesy

HN
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:59 pm »

Some excellent writing and food for thought there. Well done on the title too.

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »

I gotta say I like these guys as well - it nicely fleshes out a region I've had a vague view of for a while but had never had chance to expand on. I'm considering sculpting some of the hulking northerners at some point - must get on with the little Dhogu first though.

It would be good to expand the view out to the east if you fancied exploring that clan...
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

Thanks Geckilian, like yours too, very broody Wink

Cheers Mike, love to see how they'd turn out. The Dhogu do look very cool.

Is that the Galin clan? Yep, no problems. Anything I should know or are they pretty free at the mo?

HN
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 12:04:43 pm »

The Galin clan (or Galim, or that is probably just the name of the capital) is fairly fluid at the moment. They are similar in stature to their Engu neighbours (big and solid fubarnii). It's possibly a tad colder for them as they don't have the warm winds from the west. They have slightly more interaction with those of the central Empire. They've probably had a bit of a rocky history with the Engu, but in recent times it has been quite cordial with plenty of trade etc. They also don't get on with the Dhogu and I imagine there have been plenty of occasions when the Engu and Galim have stood together against them. Or left the other to cope rather than leaping to their assistance.
The Fubarnii themselves would carry heavy spears and axes. They'll work along the edges of the forests, but there appear to be quite clear boundaries that they wont cross. There are several passes into the Delgon empire, but they have been closed for generations, and nobody except the Dhogu pass that way. As with most of the clans, they've been visited by priests a number of times in the last year.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 04:33:40 pm »

Thanks Mike I will see what I can come up with.

HN
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: