The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 07:04:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: TWF-04 - BENAN WATCHTOWER  (Read 38812 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 01:54:27 pm »

once I have drawn the 2D geomoetry I then take it back into sketch-up, give it depth and then reassemble it. This does two things. 1) it forms the basis of the assembly instructions. 2) it helps me spot any remaining issues with the geometry.

I found a couple with this- for example the join between the lower beam and the lip of the ben and jerry's tub is incorrect.

Also i thought you might like to see the door detail and the trap door.

I also have some 3d animation i've been playing with, but i cannot figure out how to embed it here... have a look on my blog...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:54:52 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2010, 01:10:34 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!damnit damnit damnit.

I've just finished a tub of ben and jerry's ice cream - and it was yummy.

But i was fiddling with the tub and noticed something...

Its a different size to the half dozen I already have and have designed the kit around. Its fully 2mm out in a coupele of places...

why is there no icon for slamming your head on the desk in frustration?

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2010, 09:59:40 am »

Oh dear...
I'm sure people will cope somehow!
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:34 pm »

the variation seems to be in the diameter of the base of the tub and the recess... I had a fairly neat system for mating it to a pringles tube to add the height needed to bring it up to 2 full stories, but twith this variation, the tube is too sloppy to glue in the hole! grrr...

I'll work round it ... but it makes me wonder how much variation there is likely to be...

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2010, 09:24:00 pm »

after extensive field testing i can confirm - the different flavours come in different sodding sized tubs!!!

ffs!

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 11:41:48 am »

Typical. I guess it is more likely to be different batches in different sizes. Surely if they are different sizes, there must be more ice cream in some than others!?!?! Off to Tescos with ruler...  Smiley

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

probably is different batches/sizes, however all the cookie dough ones i have are slightly bigger than all the other flavours!

Ruler? Pah... I've been shopping with a vernier caliper before now!  I was asked what i was doing whie measuring tin cans the other week - you wouldn't believe how many different sizes of them there are!!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »

You are quite crazy... Are the tolerances in your original design going to cope with these differences in packaging size?

In an attempt to cheer you up - Beth was building her stable this weekend and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself! Jules now has her eyes set on my stable kit, so I might have to order another one so that I get some bits to play with...
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

In an attempt to cheer you up - Beth was building her stable this weekend and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself!

Why yes I was.  And now cursing the fact that my super glue dried up and I haven't had a chance to get any more, so I can't carry on with it tonight.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »

You are quite crazy... Are the tolerances in your original design going to cope with these differences in packaging size?

Its just that I've found this difference in the only measurement that has needs a small tolerance. it wouldn't matter anywhere else except in the place where the pringles tube meets the tub. On 10 of the 12 tubs i have it fits perfectly on 2 it wont go in!!

I'll sort it, it's just...grrrrrrrrr

In an attempt to cheer you up - Beth was building her stable this weekend and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself!

Why yes I was.

So let me get this straight, its takes several inches of plastic for me to make a woman happy? Wink

(i really didn't say that out loud did i? Sad )

glad you like the kits guys... I''ll sort the watchtower... i have ideas already... this is just one of those embuggerations.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:32:16 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:24 am »

Alternatively you just make people aware they might need to eat a few tubes to find one that works. I'm sure they wont complain!

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 02:43:18 pm »

nope - its OK, I have a work around... good job i'm a genius... Smiley

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2010, 01:46:39 pm »

some more teaser pictures to prove i haven't given up completely

more discussion, bigger click-able pictures and detail on my blog
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:53:42 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2010, 03:30:07 pm »

That looks fantastic. The sunken pillar supports don't look out of place either, even without the roof attached.
Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 02:26:22 am »

Ok the kit sheets are finalised - i'm now just waiting on availability of fenris games to cut these, but they are flat out with Heresy's dragon Sad

The watchtower will be sold with two optional rooves.

Basic  tower:

Option A - Conical shingle/slated roof

Option B - planked roof

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: