The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 02:19:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Knightly Orders  (Read 10911 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: June 02, 2011, 02:16:57 pm »

It strikes me that there should be somewhere to gather together the various notes on knightly orders... In time this will probably be turned into a 'ramblings', but for the moment it's somewhere for you to suggest ideas or ask questions

Knights of Relan
Ride the larger Enuk Nobilis.
Only seen in large numbers occasionally - usually stationed in small numbers for short periods of time to support local knights.

Knights of Naralon
Patrol the northern borders of the Naralon Forest. Their shields carry an image of a Grimblar, a mighty beast that prowls the forests.

Grey Order
Guard the mountain passes from general hazards. This order has a slightly more flexible view of the 'Don't Kill Fubarnii' doctrine due to the risks of Dhogu raids.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:09:52 pm »

Looks good. Is there a sketch of a Grimblar as I will probably paint up by KoN next?

Also, do the knightly orders have an inner circle of vets? Perhaps smaller outposts could have maybe one to lead overall and larger outposts have a unit or two?

HN
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »

How bizarre, it appears that you missed the Knights of Orelis there Mike... Wink

Megatron0
Merchant of Enipel
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:52 pm »

will there be an order of oath breakers? Or do they have to leave the group? I'm curious as to those guys Cheesy

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »

This is only for 'proper' knights of the emperor. Pretenders like the so-called knights of orelis aren't welcome  Wink

The oath breakers aren't an order as such. Danomar is, or at least was, part of the Order of Relan.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »

One of the two new shield designs has a grimblar on it - I'll have to send you a few.
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:40:46 pm »

Pretty sure no one has said the Knights of Orelis are pretending after meeting a hungry Graku'kan. Wink

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:04 am »

Not to their face at least...
They may call themselves knights, but their loyalty is most definitely to their clan rather than to the Empire.

I should mention that the majority of knights belong to one specific Order. I need to go into the details when I have more time, but that Order has the general task of looking after the Empire as a whole, whereas other orders have more specific duties in more specific locations. The standard shield that comes with the knights is for that order.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:36:32 am »

One of the two new shield designs has a grimblar on it - I'll have to send you a few.

Ahh just spotted them in another thread. Awesome, thanks for that Mike. Let me know what I owe you.

HN
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

So are the orders structured in the same way as Medieval orders, with a grandmaster, chapter houses, etc, or is it rather different? Is the Emperor nominal head of all the orders?

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

ElectricPaladin
Jenta

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »

While the oath-breakers aren't going to be a formal Order, I'd really love to see some more about them. How do they respond to the enormity of what they've done? Do they leave their former orders and gather? Do they change the color of their armor or shields?

Another question: what's the organization of the Orders? Clearly from what you've written, the Orders are both discrete organizations with distinct cultures (and, to an extent, rules), but they're also all part of the Knighthood. Do Knights move around between the Orders, or are you shuffled into the one you belong to and then you're there for life? Do the Orders have different degrees of status in the eyes of the common Fubarnii, or are they all "Knights," just with different reputations?
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »

Some quick notes from my journey home this evening:

Many consider that the Knightly Orders are the single thing that binds the Empire together and stops it descending back into chaos at the hands of the Devanu.

The Emperor sits as the Grand Lord Commander of all the Knightly Orders, although for the current Emperor this role is largely delegated to the Lord Meligan. The most senior member of each of the Knightly Orders sits upon The Council of Dimor, which would only ever gather on the rarest of occasions.

The Knights of Dimor is the oldest and most numerous of the Knightly Orders and to some extent all the other Orders can be considered as branches of Dimor. Most recruitment is carried out by the Order of Dimor, which has training camps across the Empire.

There are many other orders of Knights, each with their own internal structures. Some of the clans will recruit their own jenta and subject them to gruelling training from an early age. Others will draw upon the most promising recruits from the Order of Dimor. The Knights of Relan fall into the former category, carrying out very competitive trials for prospective young knights drawn from the most noble of creches and only training up the very best to be able to ride the Emperor’s own herds of Enuk Nobilis. Danomar is an unusual case in that he was born to a provincial family but requested to be transferred into their ranks and was granted the position by the Emperor himself – an almost unprecedented move. That move has limited his progression up the ranks as many of the seniority do not consider him to be too low-born and not truly part of the Order.

Knights of Naralon
Patrol the northern borders of the Naralon borders.

Knights of the Grey Order
Guard the mountain passes, but more commonly deal with Dhogu than Devanu.

Aside – there is plenty of room for new Knightly Orders as they have been poorly detailed so far. There will be Knights who guard the city of Gar Loren (many of whom have never even seen a Devanu) and many specific Orders that look after specific locations.

The Oathbreakers

Danomar chose to break one of the most fundamental oaths in order to ride to the defence of the Northern villages against the Delgon. Throughout history the Knights have had to sit back and watch innocents die at the hands of raiders, bound by the strict oath not to kill Fubarnii except in self defence (intelligent raiders know of the oath and simply bypass any knights that try to stop them). Those that chose to break that oath suffered exile from the knightly orders, or even execution, as decided by the Lords of their order.

When Danomar chose to break his oath he knew that his life and that of his knights would potentially be forfeit. The Knights of Relan are held in the highest regard, so many expected that an example would be set and Danomar was summoned before the Emperor himself. The response of the Emperor was not however as expected with Danomar being completely pardoned and a decree being issued that the Oath did not apply to those Fubarnii outside the Empire that would choose to bring harm to the Empire – stretching the definition of ‘self defence’. The Emperor has also commanded that all the Orders provide knights in defence of the Northern clans. These actions have been accepted, but there are many who strongly disagree with these courses of action.

Danomar holds no regrets regarding his actions and he considers that his honour is completely intact. This view has been reinforced by the Emperor. The Emperor has requested that Danomar be promoted within the ranks, but this has been met with much disapproval as the Emperor is not supposed to interfere with the direct workings of the Orders themselves. Danomar has been promoted to the newly created rank of XXX (I haven’t come up with a suitable title yet… suggestions please!). This clear ‘lip service’ has not gone down well with the Emperor. There are rumours that he plans to form a new order, but this is not something that has been done for generations.
ElectricPaladin
Jenta

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20:30 pm »

Iiiiinteresting. They remind me of the Kingsguard from Game of Thrones. Their "honor" isn't so much sacred as it is the reason that the luminaries of their society tolerate their existence as an armed power and potential threat to their hegemony. As long as the Knights can be manipulated by their "honor" - in this case into only ever fighting Devanu - the power base of the Empire is confident that the Knights aren't going to seize control, support a peasant revolt, or whatever. Death is the penalty for breaking that oath, because the next step is to say "I've got dozens of the best-trained and best-equipped warriors in the Empire at my disposal and also the common people love me... screw it, let's take over."
serin
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:25 pm »

I like the way this is developing. Certainly lots of potential for future 'embroidery'. Grin
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 01:11:32 pm »

Most knights would have a strong sense of duty and honour.
The reason for the oath is to try and keep them out of politics, driven by issues early in the empire. The emperor can't use the knights to bring a clan into line, except by withdrawing their support.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: