The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 04:54:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dhogu??!!?  (Read 6792 times)
clam
Senior Apprentice

« on: June 09, 2010, 10:05:07 am »

A few months ago Mike gave us a sneak peak of the Yirnak - and gave a few hints about the Dhogu as being allies for the Delgon or northern Empire clans.

But who are 'the Dhogu's'? Have we heard or seen anything for this 'race' before? What do we know? Or, are we still awaiting Mike's exploring tour?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:33:37 pm by clam » Logged

My painting-blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:30:44 pm »

I'm sure there are vague mentions of the dhogu around the place, but nothing in detail. One of the letters to Beru mentions them.

As a very quick overview, they are a race of Fubarnii that live in the mountains around (and within) Delgon. They dress in thick furs and are even shorter than their Delgon cousins. They often sell their services as guides but generally keep themselves to themselves.
I'll detail them more at some point, but any of the Northern-most clans are likely to have dealings with them. If you want to move stuff (commodities, letters, armies) through the mountains, then they are probably the guys to talk to.
Koya
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:07:12 pm »

They sound interesting..

I'm picturing a kind of Siberian nomad vibe, perhaps herding the Yirnak around and using them for meat, skins, bones and everything. I'm guessing like the Delgon they never had to contend with the Devanu very much, so their culture might have remained unchanged for centuries.

Do they have their own religion, and if so do the Delgon evangelize to them? I like the idea of Delgon missionaries going off into the mountains to convert the Dhogu and then 'going native' or otherwise never returning (you can tell I did religious studies sometimes).
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:19 pm »

Do they have their own religion, and if so do the Delgon evangelize to them? I like the idea of Delgon missionaries going off into the mountains to convert the Dhogu and then 'going native' or otherwise never returning (you can tell I did religious studies sometimes).

Hee!  Yes, I think that probably happens.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 02:05:54 pm »

Hee!  Yes, I think that probably happens.

The Delgon have quite a strange outlook on religion as their is little room for doubt that their gods exist. Evangelising will certainly happen, and I expect there will be some Dhogu who accept the Belog as gods and others who just skirt around that fact. The Dhogu certainly have their own beliefs, which probably mix in a bit with the old Empire religion and the spirit beliefs of the Ferals, but I've not looked at those in much detail. Some Delgon evangelists may decide that while they know their gods do exist, they are happier going native and living with the heathens...
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »

Koya, if you're interested in religions, have you looked at the myths section on the website?
http://www.worldoftwilight.com/Myths.html

There are only Central Empire myths so far, but they include Creation, the Enarii, and the origin of the Devanu.  Let me know what you think, and what myth I should write next!
Koya
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:30 am »

I did read those and liked them a lot.  Smiley

And by going native, I think I meant more in the sense of adopting customs than changing beliefs. I can't see any Delgon priests rejecting the Belog or anything, merely becoming so culturally unorthodox after long years of surviving amongst the Dhogu that they can't reintegrate into Delgon society any more but might still keep long distance ties with their former colleagues.

I don't really know where I'm going with this.. It's just an image which caught my mind, though I suppose long term it might be an idea for a way to integrate Dhogu into Delgon armies. I don't know, please forgive my ramblings. Tongue
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:12 am »

I don't know, please forgive my ramblings. Tongue

We approve of ramblings  Grin

Interesting thoughts on the Dhogu generally. They'll certainly support the Delgon on occasion as allies, but they might also be available to some of the more Northern clans as well. A priest who has gone native could be a fun model to sculpt...
TheGremlin
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »

Fubarnii sherpas!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: