The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 06:47:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A big game of Devanu vs Delgon  (Read 3960 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: June 14, 2010, 01:42:36 pm »

It's been a bit quiet over the weekend, so I thought I'd shae some details of a great game of Twilight we had over the weekend. I thought I’d push the bar upwards on game scale, so had an 800pt game of Devanu attacking Delgon force. This gave me an excuse to field Roban Wink

Paul played the Delgon and he had Roban, 4 Striders, a Priest, 4 bodyguards, 2 Acolytes and 16 soldiers (4 armed with deraks).
Huan played the Devanu and had a Kopa (didn’t try out rules for Arak this time), 2 Sempa (1 was a matriarch), 3 Jenta (1 was played as a beasthandler), 7 Grishak and 2 Kosok.
The Devanu had to take down Roban, while the Delgon had to kill any two adult Devanu.

The Devanu had a vicious plan to send most of the beasts in from one flank (lead by the Sempa and the three Jenta), then strike with the Kopa and the rest of the force on the other flank, hopefully isolating Roban in the process. There were a few mistakes though, with a Kosok lurking too close to one of the Striders (it didn’t last long). The fact that the flanking reinforcements failed to activate for the first couple of turns didn’t help much either!
After a bit of faffing the first Devanu attack hit with almost crippling force, the Jenta and Grishak tearing through striders and troops alike. One of the grishak even charged the priest, but was unfortunate with his rolls, only managing to kill one of the bodyguards.
The Delgon recovered well, breaking their tight formation to swamp the attackers, killing off most of the beasts and trapping the jenta. One jenta used his final stamina to leap for freedom, but was chased down by the numerous soldiers.
The Sempa in the first group then saw a gap and used the two Jenta to break a route through to Roban. Who promptly swatted her without breaking a sweat.
At this point the Kopa finally decided it was time to start moving his group forward...
The Delgon had a small amount of time to brace themselves for the second wave of attacks, which once again hit with reasonable effect, with a wave of grishak crashing through and eating a number of soldiers. Before the adult Devanu could get a decisive attack in Roban broke ranks and cornered the remaining Sempa, her Kopa leapt to her defence, but one unfortunate combat later and both Devanu were slain, with Roban proudly standing over their broken bodies. While his attention was elsewhere a lone grishak had managed to break the line and kill the priest, but by that point the damage was done and the Delgon were victorious.

The Devanu were unlucky on their initiative stones which lead to a rather less than cohesive attack., with only half the force getting into combat at a time. It could easily have swung the other way near the end, although Roban did seem to be rather unscathed after killing three Devanu. This was even with him using slightly reduced stats (we dropped Rapid Recovery and Overcharge). The increase in size didn't matter too much - it played smoothly without getting too bogged down. We concluded that the Delgon do need some markers to show which of their soldiers haven't moved yet (particularly when they break their rigid formations), so I might have to look what I can do with laser cutting.

I’m looking forward to trying it again and I’m not sure I’d even tweak the forces very much.

One other mistake I noticed was that the Jenta’s Rapid Strike ability should not cost any stamina otherwise it'll never be worth using.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »

Sounds fun mike.

As you know I'm an enthusiast of large scale engagements rather than skirmishing and what you are describig here is about the msallest engagement i'd normally have in other games. i'm interested to know how the rules scaled up for this bigger battle and how much further do yu thik they could go? and how long did this fight take?

cheers mate.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:02 pm »

We weren't playing at a particularly rapid rate (the kids were around causing occasional distractions...), but it certainly didn't take more than a couple of hours. I expect it could be played in an hour without distractions, but 90 mins is probably a reasonable estimate.
Scaling upwards should be fine. I have had some thoughts for scaling further if things got bogged down (fixing models as formations etc), but it played smoothly. I'd like to try a similar scale game vs Empire before stating that too confidently as I've not played any large Empire vs Delgon games yet and I expect it would take a bit longer with two infantry heavy sides. We did play at about 500pts once though, and that worked okay so I'm not too concerned.

As the game gets larger I think the 'fog of war' would become more of an effect even without additional specific rules for it. Even in this game the command structure of the Devanu wasn't quite sufficient so attacks didn't quite happen as planned - they could have done with some sort of commander.
I'd like to try a game at something like 1500pts eventually as that would really stretch the command structures and could be a lot of fun - deciding whether it is worth taking the time to sort out a formation that has become a mess, or focus on other areas of the battlefield where you still have better control. I think it should work though.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »

As the game gets larger I think the 'fog of war' would become more of an effect even without additional specific rules for it.

I'd like to try a game at something like 1500pts eventually as that would really stretch the command structures and could be a lot of fun - deciding whether it is worth taking the time to sort out a formation that has become a mess, or focus on other areas of the battlefield where you still have better control. I think it should work though.

yeah, thats what i like.

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Emberbreeze
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:17:47 pm »

How many models do you have built read to play? If I have a deadline I might build all mine to bulk your out some more. Next time I'm over we can try a Mega Empire Vs Delgon fight. I had worked out some forces, need to find them again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: