The World Of Twilight
March 29, 2024, 01:04:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: musings on comments  (Read 5463 times)
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »

Blog comments... notable for 3 things in my opinion.

1 - They can be as rare as rocking horse doo-doo.
2 - When you do get them, they often miss the point or address a different issue to the one you were raising.
3 - Despite 1 and 2 there are occasionally little nuggets of golden thinking in them.

I certainly seem to be suffering from problem 1. Despite getting an average of 250 page loads on my blog daily I get very very few comments.  I'm prepared to live with 2 in order to get more of 3.

So what am i doing wrong?  I try to post regularly, almost never post without pictures, always ask for feedback and always try to reply to comments left politely and positively.

Any suggestions on how to get more input?

(edit: it would be truly ironic if this post received no replies!)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:49:40 pm by Brandlin » Logged

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »

(edit: it would be truly ironic if this post received no replies!)

I was thinking about it Wink

So what am i doing wrong?  I try to post regularly, almost never post without pictures, always ask for feedback and always try to reply to comments left politely and positively.

Can't speak for everyone but I never post on blogs. I only ever visit them if they are linked to in a forum thread and then, if I do comment, I do so in the thread
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:42 am »

I'm similar to Ben - I tend to respond in the threads that directed me to the blog. A few times I've ended up fiddling around trying to remember passwords and stuff so I can respond to a blog and then failing to actually post a response. It's hard to encourage blog comments, and I'm not sure many blogs I've been to have ever had that many comments on them.
Jubal
Engineer of Larigal
Qualified Engineer

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »

I'd make a sticky thread on here and get comments that way, if you announce each blog post then I'm sure people will read it more.

WoT Reporter and editor of A Call To Arms.

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »

I'd make a sticky thread on here and get comments that way, if you announce each blog post then I'm sure people will read it more.

I understand the comments people are making - what I'm interested in is why?

I already make announcements of the significant blog entries here, on frothers, on the FoD, LAF, CMoN and terragenesis... I've also toyed with other forums too. The issue then is that comments are distributed all over the net - whilst that's no big deal, it does mean that many posters don't see what others say and i often end up answering the same questions over and over.

For example I always try to leave comments on the Blog rather than on the forum thread as that way its visible to all the people who were directed to the blog no matter where from, and the blog owner (to whom i am often directing my comments) has all the feedback and resulting discussion in one place... it just seems to make more sense to me. shrugs.

However, it's one of the natural consequences of the chaotic or freeform nature of information management (or lack of) on the net.

None of this is a complaint - i'm just musing...

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:40 pm »

I understand the comments people are making - what I'm interested in is why?

I already make announcements of the significant blog entries here, on frothers, on the FoD, LAF, CMoN and terragenesis... I've also toyed with other forums too. The issue then is that comments are distributed all over the net - whilst that's no big deal, it does mean that many posters don't see what others say and i often end up answering the same questions over and over.

Simply? I post for my convinience, not yours  Tongue

If a thread points to something on a blog it's still the thread discussion I'm involved in, not the blog discussion. I don't say soimething in the thread and then say it again in the blog

Brandlin
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

I don't say soimething in the thread and then say it again in the blog

Nor was i expecting you to. just musing on the data management issues of the interweb Smiley

Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »

I don't say soimething in the thread and then say it again in the blog

Nor was i expecting you to. just musing on the data management issues of the interweb Smiley

I know, but you were asking why... so I said
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: