The World Of Twilight
April 16, 2024, 05:26:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitwort's World of Twilight  (Read 7361 times)
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« on: October 14, 2012, 05:35:55 pm »

Well after almost a year I finally started painting these guys!  Maybe more accurate to say "I've painted a mini," since right now it's a lonely and not-entirely-based Empire knight captain, but hopefully more figures will join the ranks soon.

Need to get some flock and decide what to do for snow effects to finish the basing off.

I had mentioned in my engineer's bench thread that I was toying with the idea of a stylized Devanu on the shield as a mark of fierceness or martial prowess - still haven't settled on exactly how to pull this off, or if I'm going to follow through, but if/when I do I'll be sure to post a shot of the front of the shield as well.

Enjoy!
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »

I like the blue! Good job with the repose as well. When do we get to see his companions? Wink
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »

Ha ha, depends on the weather!  I'm living in Paris for awhile, and brought a limited selection of minis with me to paint (Twilight, quar, gladiators), but while I've mostly been out and about enjoying the city while it's warm and sunny enough.  Come winter when it's cold and rainy, I'm sure I'll be spending a little more time indoors, getting some painting done  Grin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:16:12 pm by Whitwort Stormbringer » Logged
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:09:17 am »

Looking good Whitwort. I like the choice of colours. Smiley
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:49:05 pm »

Really been dragging my heals with these guys, but here's a WiP of my Empire fubarnii (minus the engineer), plus the 99% completed Knight Captain for reference of what the final scheme looks like:

I've actually made a fair bit of progress on the militia since this photo was taken, and save for a few small details and basing they're done.  And while I'm on the topic of basing - anyone have a good tutorial/material for deepish snow?  I've seen stuff for a light dusting, but I'm more after a thicker covering of a few inches, which I'd like to put in patches on their bases (with flock/rocks on the bare patches).  Seeing as my primary forces are Empire and Delgon it seems to make sense that my games would be set in the foothills of the Settir mountains, and therefore be a colder environment.
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:21 am »

Still liking the blue Smiley

Snow is always difficult to get looking good. I tend to mix up a paste of snow effect, PVA and water then use that to build up a layer of snow. If you go that route then the choice of glue is Really important! The wrong sort of glue will make it all look rather too yellow.
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:14 am »

Thanks!

Now that you mention your method, I seem to recall someone that made a snow basing medium with watered down white glue (Elmer's or the like), baking powder (adds a bit of the snow/sparkle look), and a drop of white paint.  Now I'm off to try and find that tutorial...
Whitwort Stormbringer
Jenta

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:58 pm »

Well these are a bit overdue and a bit washed out, but here are the completed militia (sans snowy bases, still have to buy materials and experiment a bit before committing it to their bases!).

Hopefully I'll have the two remaining knights done soonish, and then it'll be on to Delgon.

The lighting in my apartment is a bit funky, I may try for better, more controlled lighting one of these evenings soon.
Lost Egg
Lord of Engu
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »

Looking good, it will be grand to see them with the snow bases.

HN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: