The World Of Twilight
March 28, 2024, 04:14:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the World of Twilight forum!
Automatic registration has been disabled, but if you are new and wish to register then just send me an email (m.thorp@talk21.com) and I'll sort it out. Don't forget to say what username you would like!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runner preview  (Read 6356 times)
Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:35 pm »

The Erillai, colloquially known as 'Runners' are a common sight on the plains to the south west of the central empire. These elegant beasts participate in the great migrations and are often hunted by Devanu and other beasts of the plains. Their herds are however often protected by the ferals who run with the migrations, and bitter conflicts often arise when hunters make the mistake of believing those herds to be fair game.

This was a fun little sculpt that I really wanted to do. The Ferals will eventually ride lots of different beasts, and the Erillai are likely to be a starting point for some of their more basic cavalry. I'll need to do some different poses if I want to go that route, so keep your eyes open for those. As always, I would love to hear what you think, and I hope you like it!
Geckilian
Hunter of Orelan
Distinguished Engineer

NuraSen'Malog

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

That's a very nice sculpt, and it's good to see a clear image of a cast one. It was a bit hard to make out the details on the green, so this is welcome. The only issue I see with having a rider is that the beasts' head is fairly upright and a little back, leaving not much room. I'm guessing they can also run with the head forward, in the case of trained ones?

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »

The ferals who ride the Erillai are quite flexible enough to lean around the neck, but I've not tried sculpting riders in a convincing pose yet. The broad back and the positioning of the legs will probably be more problematic...
Ben Brownlie
Colouring In Bloke
Development Team
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »

The broad back and the positioning of the legs will probably be more problematic...
Yep. Especially when you consider the movement of the thighs when running

I think your only answer is short legged Feral surfer dudes!
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:34:12 am »

The broad back and the positioning of the legs will probably be more problematic...
Yep. Especially when you consider the movement of the thighs when running

I think your only answer is short legged Feral surfer dudes!

Nope, you want the "Easy Rider" pose for the Ferals, lol!

Carcharoth
Twilight Creator
Administrator
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

Easy rider ferals vs surfer ferals   Cheesy

Only problem is those funny shaped legs... Hopefully I'll come up with a decent-looking solution, or I'll need to come up with a more-obligingly shaped beastie for them to ride!
Bethar
Administrator
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:21:37 pm »

I'm thinking an interesting shaped "saddle" that extends either side of the neck to prop the fubarnii's feet out of the way of the running legs.
Brandlin
Official Fubarnii Architect
Distinguished Engineer

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:36 am »

have a look at ostrich racing...

Brandlin - Home of Laser cut styrene building kits - NOW OPEN!

"Engineers are too precious a resource to let go wandering the open countryside" - Emberbreeze 9/11/11
Rick
Enasa Merchant Lord
Senior Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:30 am »

have a look at ostrich racing...

Funny, thats what made me think of the "easy rider" pose - legs either side of the neck, but the body leaning back a bit so as not to get bumped by the runners neck and head. I think we've all got a similiar idea of what we think the rider's pose should be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: